BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

Fever Pitch

6 minutes ago, LeftWinger said:

I used to get stick when I was about 17/18 for saying there was no footballer I'd rather watch than Keith Gillespie on his day.

He was unplayable when he was in the mood. Used to give full backs an absolutely torrid afternoon. He could just ghost past people.

Unfortunately those days were too far and between, I suspect due to off field issues.

I think his gambling addiction issues are fairly well documented.

The Stoke cup game the episode showed last night was a shocker.

KG having 50 grand riding on Beardsley scoring first and Newcastle only getting 3. So he spent the last half hour when 3-0 up just passing it back two yards… yet they got a late 4th anyway.

A banning offence these days, but you can just imagine the turmoil he’d have been going through..

Edited by Mattyblue

2 hours ago, DavidMailsTightPerm said:

I thought it was just me with a tear in my eye 🙂 - it was a dream that many Rovers fans thought they would never see.

I can remember going into every match expecting us to win - what a team, what a management team and the best owner ever.

I’m only a somewhat new fan, that was long before my time, but I recently got a few VHS from that season. I find myself inadvertently cheering along with goals that happened over 25 years ago. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Mattyblue said:

The Stoke cup game the episode showed last night was a shocker.

KG having 50 grand riding on Beardsley scoring first and Newcastle only getting 3. So he spent the last half hour when 3-0 up just passing it back two yards… yet they got a late 4th anyway.

A banning offence these days, but you can just imagine the turmoil he’d have been going through..

He'd "only" actually bet £2000 - so not quite as stressful. 

Just watched the 2nd episode---our Championship season. We dominated the League for long periods that year, it would have been a travesty if we hadn't won it.

But I was sad that people thought United had lost the Championship in that last game, we should have won it before then at Ewood. Surprised at how nervous the players said they were as the end of the season came near.

We did have some bad luck with referees---both United games we were robbed. And the home game against City over Easter, dreadful night made worse by a shocking penalty decision against Hendry (I think). Funny how United never got those.

It would have been great to celebrate a Championship that night after beating Newcastle. I went mental anyway!

But great memories, oh to have those good days back!

21 minutes ago, Mattyblue said:

Oh, must have misheard it. Still, £50k disappearing over the horizon, when you’d already pissed away thousands must have hurt!

He had 4 x £500 doubles on - the one with Beardsley first goal and Newcastle to win 3-0 was going to pocket him £52,000.....then Darren Peacock scored 😂

4 hours ago, LeftWinger said:

He had 4 x £500 doubles on - the one with Beardsley first goal and Newcastle to win 3-0 was going to pocket him £52,000.....then Darren Peacock scored 😂

When Darren Peacock actually scores a goal that isn’t an own goal then you just know it’s not your night.

Edited by Tyrone Shoelaces
  • Like 4

34 minutes ago, 47er said:

Just watched the 2nd episode---our Championship season. We dominated the League for long periods that year, it would have been a travesty if we hadn't won it.

But I was sad that people thought United had lost the Championship in that last game, we should have won it before then at Ewood. Surprised at how nervous the players said they were as the end of the season came near.

We did have some bad luck with referees---both United games we were robbed. And the home game against City over Easter, dreadful night made worse by a shocking penalty decision against Hendry (I think). Funny how United never got those.

It would have been great to celebrate a Championship that night after beating Newcastle. I went mental anyway!

But great memories, oh to have those good days back!

Yes, I thought they could have made more of out of the controversial refereeing decisions..

I was just musing over Cantona, maintaining this "Je ne regrette rien" shite.

At the time I remember thinking he was just angry at being sent off. Then there was the provocative combination of Fergie looking away from him in disgust and abuse from the terraces. Suddenly, it was being glorified by the Utd fans and their press into some noble, French campaign against racism...I never did quite buy that lol.

Just watched ManPL Ep 2. 

It reminded me that we would have thrashed MU on points if we had not been cheated out of them home and away.

It also reminded me that Cantona was a French tool.

The Man U superfan got more airtime than did Shearer. FFS even the Palace scumbag did.

Shit shoddy show.

Edited by AllRoverAsia
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, Paul Mellelieu said:

Watched "our" episode and cried a few tears.   We are lucky buggers.

Brought back so many good memories and is a great documentary. It is a bit United heavy but at the time they dominated so to be expected.

I thought we had great coverage series 2 and was great to re-live it.

Always annoys me when they make out we brought the league. United signed their biggest rivals (arguably) best striker for 7 million mid season, and still didn’t win it. That be like City buying Salah mid season in these days.

It wouldn’t have lasted once the oil/nation state money came in, Jack would’ve been blown out the water.

But certainly for the rest of the 90s we should’ve been up challenging, the mistakes we made with recruitment and managers in the couple of years following Anfield meant we lost ground and never got it back. 

• Like 3

On 24/09/2021 at 10:46, Mattyblue said:

It wouldn’t have lasted once the oil/nation state money came in, Jack would’ve been blown out the water.

But certainly for the rest of the 90s we should’ve been up challenging, the mistakes we made with recruitment and managers in the couple of years following Anfield meant we lost ground and never got it back. 

We got lucky - Jack, Shearer, Cantana, Cole.     

Ourselves and Utd got the exact same amount of points after Cantona was suspended, so we were better than them when he was available.

A common myth that we only won the league because he got suspended, up there with buying the title etc.

• Like 5

On 26/09/2021 at 20:26, Paul Mellelieu said:

We got lucky - Jack, Shearer, Cantana, Cole.     

Luck?.

Robbed of points home and away, by brown envelope Refs, to ManUre  who then bottled it at West Ham.

OK let's accept the luck theory and that luck evens itself out over a season leaving the rightful winner .... US.

How you put Jack and Shearer down to luck is a job for the couchman.

Edited by AllRoverAsia
  • Like 6

On 26/09/2021 at 14:50, MarkBRFC said:

Ourselves and Utd got the exact same amount of points after Cantona was suspended, so we were better than them when he was available.

A common myth that we only won the league because he got suspended, up there with buying the title etc.

If utd can use Cantona as an excuse for 95, you could argue we would have won in 93 had we not lost shearer to injury. 

• Like 4