BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

Fever Pitch

Thank god for Alan Shearer being so well in at the BBC and still thinking so much of his time here and Rovers in general, what a guy.

I think they've been really kind to us in the first two episodes i was expecting worse and i don't remember them being so impressed when we gatecrashed the party back in the day.  Imagine if Lineker, Hansen and Lawrenson were in charge of these documentaries, the 3 ponces. 

Been a great watch and even better they've managed to present it as the fairy tale it was. 

• Like 3

Just caught up with the first episode. Very enjoyable. 3 features stood our for me, the state of the stadiums in  1992, how "uncultured" the football seems to be---players flying in to tackles which would get you sent off now and how old Hendry looked!

Very interesting comments from Shearer on his transfer to us.

But, as always, my feelings of watching Rovers in the Premier League are full of regrets at how its been thrown away. I watched it through clenched teeth.

• Like 3

Catching up on this now; very impressed with the coverage they’ve given us.

Highlights even more the refereeing injustices we faced against Utd in that title winning season though. Still boils my p*ss watching the Berg and Sherwood incidents now. 

Edited by Gavlar Somerset Rover!
  • Like 8

5 minutes ago, Gavlar Somerset Rover! said:

Catching up on this now; very impressed with the coverage they’ve given us.

Highlights even more the refereeing injustices we faced against Utd in that title winning season though. Still boils my p*ss watching the Berg and Sherwood incidents now. 

Gerald Ashby at ewood and Paul durkin at old Trafford. Not that I hold a grudge.

• Like 2

9 hours ago, matt83 said:

Gerald Ashby at ewood and Paul durkin at old Trafford. Not that I hold a grudge.

I work in the same industry as Paul Durkin (we do the same job for different companies or at least did, I haven’t seen him for a while).

I may have mentioned that shocking performance of his at OT once or twice to him at conferences.  

Edited by oldjamfan1
  • Like 6

28 minutes ago, oldjamfan1 said:

I work in the same industry as Paul Durkin (we do the same job for different companies or at least did, I haven’t seen him for a while).

I may have mentioned that shocking performance of his at OT once or twice to him at conferences.  

I once came across George Courtney at a school in Middlesbrough. I gave him my feelings about his performance vs palace away. But he did give us an iffy pen vs Leicester. 

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, Tyrone Shoelaces said:

Keith Gillespie features a lot tonight. What a player he could have been.

that lad had so much talent,he could have been up there with ronaldo imo,sadly there were lots of days when he just did`nt want to know,you might as well have put me in his place when he was on one of those days!!!!!!!,on a going day though,what a player,he could waltz past any full back at will,inside or out,could  put put in a killer cross in as well

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, simongarnerisgod said:

that lad had so much talent,he could have been up there with ronaldo imo,sadly there were lots of days when he just did`nt want to know,you might as well have put me in his place when he was on one of those days!!!!!!!,on a going day though,what a player,he could waltz past any full back at will,inside or out,could  put put in a killer cross in as well

I saw him play as a kid in a pre season friendly at Rochdale. All the other kids were playing, Beckham, Scholes, Butt, the Nevilles etc. Gillespie was head and shoulders above all those, he was first team ready then. He was taking the defence on at warp speed, going inside or outside , they couldn’t get near him. He could have been anything he wanted to be. What a waste.

• Like 1

Another good episode. I'm enjoying this series. How did 'The Entertainers' not win the league that season? They were brilliant to watch back then and to be 12 points clear and not see it through must still hurt. I particularly looked forward to our games against them and there were quite a few around that time, including the cup games. Fenton scoring twice to ruin their title bid 😁.

Gillespie was a quality winger on his day. He was direct and would look to go past defenders and beat them on the outside. He had some good games in a Rovers shirt, but looking at his career overall, he should have done so much more with his talent.

Next episode, Arsene Wenger's introduction to English football. His debut game was at Ewood. I was sat right next to the Arsenal fans in the Darwen End Upper that day. Can still hear the "Ian Wright Wright Wright" chants.

It's sad to see the state of Rovers, Arsenal and Newcastle today. This series brings back great memories though.

Edited by SuperBrfc
  • Like 2

On 14/09/2021 at 17:09, 1864roverite said:

Fever Pitch BBC features BRFC and tells a story . Certainly invokes fabulous memories and brings tears to the eyes 😢 thank you Jack for everything that you did to make dreams come true #onelove#BRFC

I thought it was just me with a tear in my eye 🙂 - it was a dream that many Rovers fans thought they would never see.

I can remember going into every match expecting us to win - what a team, what a management team and the best owner ever.

• Like 7

12 hours ago, Tyrone Shoelaces said:

Keith Gillespie features a lot tonight. What a player he could have been.

I used to get stick when I was about 17/18 for saying there was no footballer I'd rather watch than Keith Gillespie on his day.

He was unplayable when he was in the mood. Used to give full backs an absolutely torrid afternoon. He could just ghost past people.

Unfortunately those days were too far and between, I suspect due to off field issues.