BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

January Transfer window 2022

16 hours ago, Miller11 said:

It’s nothing to do with a salary CAP, its to do with our wage structure.

Academy graduates are on a rigid structure. Players we sign are on a different one. This is why Davenport has earned more than Nyambe since he first signed.

Unless we have some flexibility in the current framework we will have the exact same issues with Travis in a year.

Is this directly from Waggott?

The idea that academy graduates tend to end up on lower deals makes sense to an extent (as long as eventually those players can get to the higher end of the pay structure) in that one of the main driving forces is surely a players previous contract, wages won't be totally proportionate anywhere purely to ability and performance. For example, when a former graduate goes to negotiate a new deal, his negotiation power is naturally weaker with his previous wage being very small. Compare that to say a Gallagher, Armstrong or even a more experienced player like Ayala/Johnson whereby their previous contract is probably in excess of our top earner, so they have to take a wage reduction even to join.

2 hours ago, RoversClitheroe said:

Spot on. 

Crazy people starting to trust the management after the past 3-4 years of the Conventrio.

Let's also not forget they had Dack sold before he was injured.

The lack of Armstrong replacement too.

The performances hiding what a shambolic job they are doing.

There is absolutely no evidence that Dack was being sold, West Brom made a bid that was rejected according to Graeme Jones who was at West Brom, as reported by the LT.

Armstrong wasn't replaced because in spite of a significant sale, none of the money was reinvested by the owners to sign a replacement.

Your last sentence is agenda driven, especially about the manager. Performances (well results) are the barometer of how successful a manager is, and the way that we all agreed that Mowbray should have been sacked last season. Yet when they become positive, its merely "hiding what a shambolic job" that is being done? Laughable, you have to be neutral in your judgements.

56 minutes ago, K-Hod said:

Tell you what, I’m finding it a bit odd that we haven’t sent Poveda back to Leeds.

He appears to be doing his rehab there and seemingly he won’t be back any time soon? 

Ultimately, if we are contributing anything towards his wages, for us to send him back, that would put that liability back on to Leeds. I am guessing that there is no clause to release him from our end because otherwise it wouldn't make sense for Leeds to take him back, pay his full wage yet not be able to use him.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Gavlar Somerset Rover! said:

You could say that about most players we’re in for (the new RB included, fitness wise).

Any loanees we go for are highly unlikely to have been playing every week in the first half of the season. 

Zeefulk has played 11 games this season for Hertha Berlin including playing in the 3 games before their winter break. 

We don't want to be bringing in signings who haven't got the fitness levels we need for games and it going to few weeks for them to get up to speed. 

1 hour ago, islander200 said:

On you ruling out people out due to them not being suited to our formation/style of play, you have done it with Maja too, werent you saying earlier in the season you are a great believer in us having a plan b or c?

I said last week that I don't think Maja would be god fit for our current formation or how we play our front. I am also concern over Maja's fitness and is he fully over his back injury

Yes I do believe in plan B and C if plan A isn't working. Like playing 4-4-2 at Blackpool away second half or playing 4-3-3 or playing 3-4-3

1 hour ago, K-Hod said:

Tell you what, I’m finding it a bit odd that we haven’t sent Poveda back to Leeds.

He appears to be doing his rehab there and seemingly he won’t be back any time soon? 

Was there a terminate clause in the deal when we agreed the original loan deal? 

59 minutes ago, Miller11 said:

The next week or so should be a good sign of our intent. If we’ve got players in and around Brockhall worth a view to signing, let’s get them done quick.

For the last few windows we’ve seemed to procrastinate and let things drag before frantically scrabbling round for the last couple of hours. We have ended up missing out on targets for whatever reason, and not had enough time to find alternatives. Another example, it seemed to take weeks to get the Tosin loan over the line.

The owners, board and management team all need to recognise the opportunity we currently have, and not let poor decisions and convoluted processes nause up all the hard work so far.

Its appears that the Zeefulk is at Brockhall and waiting for his work permit to be granted. So hopefully thats done this week and we get him involved in training this week. 

I wonder what other signings we will make. still think we need a centre midfielder and attacker player

28 minutes ago, roversfan99 said:

Ultimately, if we are contributing anything towards his wages, for us to send him back, that would put that liability back on to Leeds. I am guessing that there is no clause to release him from our end because otherwise it wouldn't make sense for Leeds to take him back, pay his full wage yet not be able to use him.

It makes zero sense for us to be contributing towards the wage of a player we can't use either.

Is it not common practice for players to go back to the parent Club and for the loan deal to be terminated in the event of a serious injury?

• Like 2

53 minutes ago, roversfan99 said:

The time comes for Venkys to invest a chunk of the Armstrong money to get more quality in. Do they really care though? We need a striker, we need another attacking player, we need a central midfielder, (had to play the usual 3 again) we need a right wing back, possibly a centre back and definitely a keeper.

so you want 6 January signings? 

its appears that we got a right wing back signing almost done. 

1 hour ago, CambridgeRover said:

Nyambe wont have a chance at starting if this guy comes in. That isnt because I feel he is a better player but it has been clear for some time that Mowbray doesnt have faith in Nyambe for whatever reasons. Stupid imo but typical Mowbray

Yeah, well ... even he might be out out the door shortly!

If we do manage to get promoted i wouldn’t want him has our manager, heaven forbid who knows what player would be playing where

Just now, pomster said:

If we do manage to get promoted i wouldn’t want him has our manager, heaven forbid who knows what player would be playing where

If we managed to somehow get promoted, that would suggest that the correct players were playing in the correct positions.

• Like 4

35 minutes ago, chaddyrovers said:

Zeefulk has played 11 games this season for Hertha Berlin including playing in the 3 games before their winter break. 

We don't want to be bringing in signings who haven't got the fitness levels we need for games and it going to few weeks for them to get up to speed. 

We can’t be turning down loans just because players haven’t been playing every week for their respective first teams, if they’re of the calibre of an Elliot, Tosin or Harwood-Bellis. Diallo - as an example - could well fit in that category as could lots of others. They’ll still have been playing under 23s every week - it’s not like they’re coming back from huge injuries like Dack.

Edited by Gavlar Somerset Rover!
  • Like 2

21 minutes ago, pomster said:

If he gets us promoted, Mowbray can do what he wants with the team selections. Find it ridiculous to see some posters suggest that he should be sacked regardless of results even if we get to the PL. I wanted him gone 12 months ago like most people but you can’t deny that this season we’ve done remarkably well and he deserves a lot of credit for that. 

• Like 9

35 minutes ago, roversfan99 said:

At least 3 or 4, we need numbers. Lets see if the money is forthcoming.

I think 3 signings is about right. Looks like the right wing back is almost done if he is at Brockhall. Then I feel an centre midfielder and attacker is what I would looking to do. 

13 minutes ago, Gavlar Somerset Rover! said:

We can’t be turning down loans just because players haven’t been playing every week for their respective first teams, if they’re of the calibre of an Elliot, Tosin or Harwood-Bellis. Diallo could well fit in that category as could lots of others. They’ll still have been playing under 23s every week, it’s not like they’re coming back from huge injuries like Dack.

I think we need players who are fully fit and ready to make an impact on games. My point was more about players Maja who has out injured and not had much game time. 

4 minutes ago, chaddyrovers said:

I think 3 signings is about right. Looks like the right wing back is almost done if he is at Brockhall. Then I feel an centre midfielder and attacker is what I would looking to do. 

I think we need players who are fully fit and ready to make an impact on games. My point was more about players Maja who has out injured and not had much game time. 

Looking at our squad, we have one goalkeeper at the needed standard that we can count on in Kaminski, 4 centre backs in Lenihan, Ayala, Van Hecke and Wharton, 2 wing backs in Nyambe and Pickering, 3 midfielders in Travis, Rothwell and Buckley, one attacking player in Khadra and then only one consistent goalscorer in Brereton. Throw in top of that the imminently returning Dack, fitness permitting, then we have Edun who still hasn't convinced and perhaps suffers from his own versatility, Dolan carries a threat but struggles for regular end product, Gallagher is far too injury prone to be counted on, Rankin Costello even moreso, Johnson looks over the hill. Our direct rivals have so many options and we need more.

A wave of covid seems inevitable and injuries will be picked up between now and May, I feel like the quality in the first 11 is good, but beyond that curtain we look very thin, and part of the problem is that the balance of the side suffers because there are only 3 or 4 that are trusted beyond that so they end up being shunted out of position. Would I be confident if any of Carter, Butterworth, Davenport etc were needed for an extended period in a promotion push? No.

• Like 3

36 minutes ago, magicalmortensleftpeg said:

If he gets us promoted, Mowbray can do what he wants with the team selections. Find it ridiculous to see some posters suggest that he should be sacked regardless of results even if we get to the PL. I wanted him gone 12 months ago like most people but you can’t deny that this season we’ve done remarkably well and he deserves a lot of credit for that. 

Who mentioned him being sacked? I just said i would prefer him Not to be our manager IF we are promoted.

Forgive me if im wrong ( i’l bow down and kiss is arse) but i was on the understanding Mowbrays contract expired at the end of this season

14 minutes ago, roversfan99 said:

Looking at our squad, we have one goalkeeper at the needed standard that we can count on in Kaminski, 4 centre backs in Lenihan, Ayala, Van Hecke and Wharton, 2 wing backs in Nyambe and Pickering, 3 midfielders in Travis, Rothwell and Buckley, one attacking player in Khadra and then only one consistent goalscorer in Brereton. Throw in top of that the imminently returning Dack, fitness permitting, then we have Edun who still hasn't convinced and perhaps suffers from his own versatility, Dolan carries a threat but struggles for regular end product, Gallagher is far too injury prone to be counted on,

Kaminski is a outstanding keeper where Pears a decent keeper as the 3 clean sheets shown plus I not going to negative over his performance yesterday. 

I happy with our centre back options and wing backs options if Zeefulk signs. 

I think we are one centre midfielder option as I said. 

I think we are one attacker option as I said

Gallagher wanted to carry on yesterday but looks like Mowbray made a decision not to risk him. Dolan has played his part earlier in the season and he will be need. He will have impact before the end of the season. 

15 minutes ago, roversfan99 said:

Johnson looks over the hill.

said last season he should have been released last summer. 

Would I be confident if any of Carter, Butterworth, Davenport etc were needed for an extended period in a promotion push? No.

They with be squad players and will have a part to play in between now and end of the season. 

A wave of covid seems inevitable and injuries will be picked up between now and May

Injuries will happen during a season and why we have squad players and under 23's players. Get on with it. 

16 minutes ago, roversfan99 said:

Our direct rivals have so many options and we need more.

I think a smaller squad has served us well this season and also Help Mowbray not being to rotate massively like last season which it was a massive problem last season with him

42 minutes ago, chaddyrovers said:

I thought that Mowbray had rubbished the Burke links? I really do hope we go nowhere near him. 

Unsure where a player of Hedges' position fits in our current formation which is working. Plan B talk aside, we need all signings to be able to slot straight into our current formation.

57 minutes ago, chaddyrovers said:

Kaminski is a outstanding keeper where Pears a decent keeper as the 3 clean sheets shown plus I not going to negative over his performance yesterday. 

I happy with our centre back options and wing backs options if Zeefulk signs. 

I think we are one centre midfielder option as I said. 

I think we are one attacker option as I said

Gallagher wanted to carry on yesterday but looks like Mowbray made a decision not to risk him. Dolan has played his part earlier in the season and he will be need. He will have impact before the end of the season. 

said last season he should have been released last summer. 

They with be squad players and will have a part to play in between now and end of the season. 

Injuries will happen during a season and why we have squad players and under 23's players. Get on with it. 

I think a smaller squad has served us well this season and also Help Mowbray not being to rotate massively like last season which it was a massive problem last season with him

It's not about "getting on with it." My point is that we need a squad with a depth of quality capable of sustaining a promotion push amidst the likely scenario of injuries throughout the main 12/13 players aswell as a potential covid outbreak. We don't ever want to play players that significantly reduce the quality of the team and cost us points.

Although to be honest, you seem to be arguing but have similar suggestions regarding numbers. Get a right wing back in and we seem fine there on both sides, although Edun doesn't overly convince me. We have 4 centre backs that we can trust for 3 places, so we are 2 injures/covid absentees away from having to draft in someone unproven like Carter or someone from another position like Johnson, is that enough? Not sure. If Kaminski is out, can we trust Pears? Not sure. We also desperately need a genuine alternative goal threat, if Brereton got injured then we are screwed and Gallagher is always injured.

• Like 2