BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

January Transfer window 2022

11 minutes ago, islander200 said:

Will be stupid spending money in January anyway unless Mowbray is being given a new contract or we are under threat of relegation which seems highly unlikely

Will any decision on Mowbray's future by then? 

I suspect our business will be one loan and one permanent plus replacing our players we sell 

31 minutes ago, islander200 said:

Will be stupid spending money in January anyway unless Mowbray is being given a new contract or we are under threat of relegation which seems highly unlikely

What if we've got a very good chance of the play offs?

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, booth said:

What if we've got a very good chance of the play offs?

Do you think Mowbray is capable of getting us promoted or without decent investment this squad is?

We dont have the concistency of a top 6 side and Mowbray with more bodies will only end up making more changes.Bennett and Evans would still be here if he had his way,he wouldnt have looked to replace them he would have given them contracts.

Surely if we have money to spend then you keep it for the next guy.The more money available better chance of getting someone decent(altho anyone decent under these guys unlikely)?.

• Like 6

3 minutes ago, islander200 said:

Do you think Mowbray is capable of getting us promoted or without decent investment this squad is?

We dont have the concistency of a top 6 side and Mowbray with more bodies will only end up making more changes.Bennett and Evans would still be here if he had his way,he wouldnt have looked to replace them he would have given them contracts.

Surely if we have money to spend then you keep it for the next guy.The more money available better chance of getting someone decent(altho anyone decent under these guys unlikely)?.

Not really but stranger things have happened. It's the weakest this league has ever been since we've been in it. If Mowbray was ever going to do it it'd be this year. Obviously I'd prefer someone more capable in charge.

• Like 2

39 minutes ago, chaddyrovers said:

Will any decision on Mowbray's future by then? 

I suspect our business will be one loan and one permanent plus replacing our players we sell 

So then Mowbray must be staying?You allow him to make signings in January then he is replaced and the new manager doesnt want these players? Stupidly wasting money.

We will not be getting promoted barring a miracle and it seems unlikely we will be pulled into a relegation battle so unless a really good permanent signing presented itself i would keep the money for the next man

• Like 1

53 minutes ago, islander200 said:

So then Mowbray must be staying?You allow him to make signings in January then he is replaced and the new manager doesnt want these players? Stupidly wasting money.

We will not be getting promoted barring a miracle and it seems unlikely we will be pulled into a relegation battle so unless a really good permanent signing presented itself i would keep the money for the next man

Who knows if Mowbray is staying or not, but If we need players in or the player we don't want to miss out then we sign them regardless who the manager is. 

10 minutes ago, chaddyrovers said:

Who knows if Mowbray is staying or not, but If we need players in or the player we don't want to miss out then we sign them regardless who the manager is. 

I disagree.Unless it is a deal too good to be true or we are spending decent money on a few players that would significantly increase our chances of promotion(which ffp wont allow,which you have been saying yourself)

Talk of players like Hedges and pre contracts for the summer sounds like Mowbray will be here next term.I dont know too much about Hedges but i doubt many prospective new managers would have him on their transfer lists

If he is going then he shouldnt be given money in january to spend  when it will likely at best lead to us finishing a couple of places better in the table which might be 10th instead of 12th.The league is poor but no way are we getting promoted under Mowbray as he cant help himself and will never just pick a settled team and will constantly revert to trying to play the opposition at their own game, losing more often than not.

• Like 3

Not a normal way to run a club to just hold off the usually continuous process of signing players when possible to improve the team because you have already decided that a managers time is up, but you arent going to let him go just yet.

If and when we dont spend, that wont be the reason. The reason that we didnt spend in the summer and the owners didnt reinvest the Armstrong money is because of how tough they have had it financially in India, so I suspect that regardless of the circumstances, things such as league position, managerial situation etc, it hasnt changed in 6 months.

• Backroom

I'm going to be blindly optimistic and say any targets we acquire, while initially Mowbray targets) have been okayed by the next manager.

I mean, it's not logical, but since when has that stopped Venkys doing anything.

Edited by Mike E
  • Like 2

8 minutes ago, roversfan99 said:

Not a normal way to run a club to just hold off the usually continuous process of signing players when possible to improve the team because you have already decided that a managers time is up, but you arent going to let him go just yet.

If and when we dont spend, that wont be the reason. The reason that we didnt spend in the summer and the owners didnt reinvest the Armstrong money is because of how tough they have had it financially in India, so I suspect that regardless of the circumstances, things such as league position, managerial situation etc, it hasnt changed in 6 months.

Tough time in india?Wasnt someone on here saying profits were up?

They just put 16.6 million(yes for the training ground but i  will wait and see whats done with it before id say its dodgy) into the club plus the Armstrong money so things have changed.

We disagree on it but i think the no spending was ffp related and with minimal income projections surely would have forcasted a player of significance being sold the previous summer or January.

It isnt the first time spending has stopped to start again.Usually stopping at similar times in the cycles.

If the plan is to get rid of Mowbray at the end of the season then he shouldnt be given money to bring lads in on two or three year deals when another manager may not fancy them.

What's a bit ironic is all this buying the training ground stuff was going on whilst Mowbray was trotting out the 'own problems in India line'.

Playing things down to drum up Arma interest from clubs thinking we were skint ?

We were/are really skint and this was a desperate separate issue to get cash into the club ?

Him and his exec buddy really didn't have a clue it was going on and one of them was trying to set up a building project instead ?

43 minutes ago, islander200 said:

Tough time in india?Wasnt someone on here saying profits were up?

They just put 16.6 million(yes for the training ground but i  will wait and see whats done with it before id say its dodgy) into the club plus the Armstrong money so things have changed.

We disagree on it but i think the no spending was ffp related and with minimal income projections surely would have forcasted a player of significance being sold the previous summer or January.

It isnt the first time spending has stopped to start again.Usually stopping at similar times in the cycles.

If the plan is to get rid of Mowbray at the end of the season then he shouldnt be given money to bring lads in on two or three year deals when another manager may not fancy them.

It was what Mowbray said repeatedly in the summer.

Dont want to go into the FFP debate again, an assumption you have made that I disagree with, best to leave that there.

Regarding the last paragraph, again its a huge assumption. It is certainly not a logical way to run a football club, to have a year without basically any scope for permanent signings because youve pre decided that the managers time is up yet wont let him go yet, its risky and illogical without factoring in what happens in that time if Mowbray either took us down, took us up or even got a play off place.

I dont think a club should ever put recruitment on hold for a year based on such reasoning and I doubt that Venkys have thought up such an elaborate strategy.

15 minutes ago, roversfan99 said:

It was what Mowbray said repeatedly in the summer.

Dont want to go into the FFP debate again, an assumption you have made that I disagree with, best to leave that there.

Regarding the last paragraph, again its a huge assumption. It is certainly not a logical way to run a football club, to have a year without basically any scope for permanent signings because youve pre decided that the managers time is up yet wont let him go yet, its risky and illogical without factoring in what happens in that time if Mowbray either took us down, took us up or even got a play off place.

I dont think a club should ever put recruitment on hold for a year based on such reasoning and I doubt that Venkys have thought up such an elaborate strategy.

I didnt say they had i said it was my opinion its ffp related.Its not an assumption to think we are close to the limit with ffp.

Im talking this January which is what my initial post replied too.We have a manager who is out of contract at the end of the season.Majority want him sacked including you so it makes little or no sense to allow him to bring in players on two year deals IF the plan is to sack him.They will not get us promoted under him.

1 hour ago, islander200 said:

I didnt say they had i said it was my opinion its ffp related.Its not an assumption to think we are close to the limit with ffp.

Im talking this January which is what my initial post replied too.We have a manager who is out of contract at the end of the season.Majority want him sacked including you so it makes little or no sense to allow him to bring in players on two year deals IF the plan is to sack him.They will not get us promoted under him.

It is all a giant assumption that he is definitely being sacked at the end of the season, if they have come to the conclusion that he is to be sacked, it makes absolutely zero sense to drag it out. If thats your assumption, is there any scope for that decision to either change or be brought forward?

Recruitment shouldnt be focused on the contract of a manager anyway. Pickering and Edun have both signed on long term contracts presumably well past the date to which Mowbray will be at the club, as with the renewals of the likes of Dolan, Wharton, Rankin Costello, Dack and Buckley. Mowbray has bigged up Ash Phillips and includes him in first team training even though he has admitted in training that the potential benefit and potential of him will not be seen by himself but by future managers. The managers contract should have no bearing whatsoever on recruitment and based on my examples, that isnt the reason.

1 hour ago, islander200 said:

We have a manager who is out of contract at the end of the season.Majority want him sacked including you so it makes little or no sense to allow him to bring in players on two year deals IF the plan is to sack him.They will not get us promoted under him.

A new manager is not going to want to inherit a decimated squad, with the feeble recruitment infrastructure and system we have. That's giving themself too much of a difficult start to life here, at what is already known to be a bit of a basket case club.

Mowbray doesn't always make poor signings. As long as the summer budget isn't blown it's not the worst thing to try to strengthen. There's a chance 1 or 2 might be good. A place can be found for most good players by most managers.

11 minutes ago, roversfan99 said:

It is all a giant assumption that he is definitely being sacked at the end of the season, if they have come to the conclusion that he is to be sacked, it makes absolutely zero sense to drag it out. If thats your assumption, is there any scope for that decision to either change or be brought forward?

He doesn't need to be "sacked" at the end of the season, his contract expires then anyway.

If a decision has (hopefully) already been made he is not to be awarded a new contract I agree completely there is no sense whatsoever in stringing things out.

4 minutes ago, RevidgeBlue said:

He doesn't need to be "sacked" at the end of the season, his contract expires then anyway.

If a decision has (hopefully) already been made he is not to be awarded a new contract I agree completely there is no sense whatsoever in stringing things out.

I meant let go.

The idea that we arent signing permanent players beyond the managers contract because it is set in stone that he will leave then and there is a fear of burdening any new manager is a series of wild assumptions married together that also fly in the face of the numerous examples of things that have happened in the last year that do go beyond the end of this season.

Venkys have turned the taps off, theyve done it before and there is no need for elaborate assumed theories to try and explain it all. I very much doubt that any decision has been made to be honest.

5 hours ago, roversfan99 said:

The managers contract should have no bearing whatsoever on recruitment and based on my examples, that isnt the reason.

Did you read the post you quoted.First line?I said its my opinion that the non spend was ffp related.

I then said "I" wouldnt be giving him funds to bring in players in january "If" the plan is to sack or not renew his contract.

I will stop quouting your posts as we will never agree with this or your bizarre judgments of younger players which  9 times out of ten you are wrong 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, bluebruce said:

A new manager is not going to want to inherit a decimated squad, with the feeble recruitment infrastructure and system we have. That's giving themself too much of a difficult start to life here, at what is already known to be a bit of a basket case club.

Mowbray doesn't always make poor signings. As long as the summer budget isn't blown it's not the worst thing to try to strengthen. There's a chance 1 or 2 might be good. A place can be found for most good players by most managers.

Our budgets are limited wether that be due to Ffp or the owners reluctance to spend.

Its a dead season this year we aint getting promoted and we aint getting relegated either.

A new manager would want as much money as possible to build his own squad.Like i have said if a deal too good to be true presented itself then of course i would want the club to act on it but is a 26 year old who has spent his career in the lower leagues and Scotland doesnt strike me as a game changer added to the fact Mowbrays brother involved i wouldnt want that type brought in if the plan is to change managers.

Mowbray has made some good signings but the majority of his good signings we have had to wait for development before seeing an impact on the field excluding Dack and 1 or 2 others