BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

January Transfer window 2022

I’m not sure where the whole Nyambe is leaving this month is emanating from? We’re signing a right back, which we need, as we have one in the entire club, and everyone on this page said we needed before the window, and now Nyambe is off this month? I don’t see the link personally. Signed a right back on loan with a view to buying him should our current right back still think he’s going to get more money elsewhere. Everyone is skint and everyone is losing players, if we sign a CM is Rothwell off this month too? If we sign hedges is BBD off this month?

9 minutes ago, chaddyrovers said:

We can only 25 players in the players squad anyway. We have about 4 spots open currently cos 1 spot left open, 2 loans players who Clarkson has gone back to Liverpool and Poveda is injury plus let Maglorie in this window.  

If Covid or Injuries happen then they happens. 

We have got to where we have in this league by having younger smaller squad with a great team spirit unlike last season squad which we have more players and did nothing. I would stick with the smaller squad but add 2 or 3 players. Plus Mowbray has actually look like he has enjoyed managing this squad this season compare to last season where he looks disinterested at times. 

I'm fairly sure you've listed which positions you want reinforcements and mentioned more than 3, but hey ho. If we have 4 spots, let's look to fill them. Zeefuik seems to be arriving. Need a reliable backup keeper. An attacker and a midfielder.

24 minutes ago, yankfan said:

Seems as the the Zeefuik deal is all but sorted. Reported he might be in contention for the weekend. A necessary bit of business as it appears Naymbe will move on either this month or preferably this summer. I’ve given up any illusion he’s going to sign a new contract. 

I don't see Nyambe staying past this summer even if we go up. Looking at Mowbray's comments last week its seem like he thinks similar. Which is a shame given that Nyambe has been here for such a long time and is product of our great academy system here. 

7 minutes ago, roversfan99 said:

Burke may "have played up front" but that doesnt that it was successful, it was anything but! That would be like teams having bought Chris Samba as he "had played as a striker" in the past.

Who to say Burke won't be successful here cos he might play in a system and style that suits him and his game? I have open mind on any signing that Rovers sign and I don't worry about previous clubs experiences or what fans think tbh. 

You said the same in the summer about who was going to replace goals and the team has set up and performed plus we are doing better this season than last summer. Seems to be more togetherness and team spirit in this squad than last season for some reasons. 

13 minutes ago, roversfan99 said:

As others have pointed out, you speak as if your future covid judgements are factual but what is a fact is that so many players are being made unavailable due to covid across the league/country. Coupled with the risk of injury to a small squad and it is my opinion that we ensure that our squad going into a promotion push is deep enough to cover for both of those eventualities. You keep commenting as if it is about "excuses" but my point is more that a few absentees and the quality of our team could massively decrease. There have been times this season when we have looked really short, whether it be when Magloire had to play in the first team, when our bench had no attacking options etc and it has cost us points which we can not afford to spurn, our rivals have deeper squads so that wont be as much of an issue. Throw in a potetial covid outbreak and we could be in a similar situation. Putting faith in a covid scenario of limited damage is a risk we can ill afford to take.

but by making so many signings who all need to settle quickly and made an impact in the next 3 and half months is very unrealistic. Plus do we have the budget or squad spaces for these 6 signings you want? Plus 

You keep mention other teams have deeper squads? yet we are ahead of 22 other teams and we got there by having a smaller young squad.

It's a big ask of Nyambe to have him play all games. Pickering and Edun have shared the left back role although it looks like it's Harry's to lose. Rhino has been a model pro as far as I'm concerned, and he can also slot into central defense when needed instead of Johnson. I'd still like Rovers to improve his terms and sign a cheap backup, but I'll wait and see how Zeefuik looks before passing judgment. 

With Dack returning we'll have a lot of options in the run-in, just hope we can avoid the usual period with key players injured this season.

• Like 3

5 minutes ago, Mellor Rover said:

I’m not sure where the whole Nyambe is leaving this month is emanating from? We’re signing a right back, which we need, as we have one in the entire club, and everyone on this page said we needed before the window, and now Nyambe is off this month? I don’t see the link personally. Signed a right back on loan with a view to buying him should our current right back still think he’s going to get more money elsewhere. Everyone is skint and everyone is losing players, if we sign a CM is Rothwell off this month too? If we sign hedges is BBD off this month?

It's certainly not guaranteed, so far as we know, that he's off. But various pieces to the jigsaw that suggest it might be the case. Zeefuik seems a bit expensive to just be cover. Nyambe was left out of the cup squad altogether, a day after a rumour appeared on FB that he had been saying goodbye to all the staff. The manager has shown a tendency to not give him a fair crack of the whip and his contract is nearly up with talks at a standstill. A rumour recently emerged linking him to Leeds for about 3 million, which (if we weren't in a promotion battle) would be very fair money for a Championship RB with 6 months on their deal. Oh and the slight possibility that Brown is regarded as the cover when he is up to speed, and Zeefuik as the Nyambe replacement. Doubt most of us would be comfortable with that, but it can't be ruled out with our budget.

I think we all want to keep Nyambe as well as bringing in Zeefuik, and then that's that position sorted. Hopefully that's what's happening.

Edited by bluebruce
  • Like 1

14 minutes ago, roversfan99 said:

I just desperately hope that those inside the club dont share such a flippant attitude towards the risk of being left short for such a critical half season at the top end.

There is nothing we can do about it but you are finding excuses already. Who knows what will happen. But what we do know is we got to second in the league with this squad cos of the team spirit and sticking together to produce this good first half of the season. But for some reasons you want 6 signings and think they are going to be fit enough, settle quickly and have an impact while ignoring that Butterworth, Carter, Pears, Dolan and Davenport have all played a part in getting us to where we are in this league and part of this squad. 

Edited by chaddyrovers

6 minutes ago, bluebruce said:

I'm fairly sure you've listed which positions you want reinforcements and mentioned more than 3, but hey ho. If we have 4 spots, let's look to fill them. Zeefuik seems to be arriving. Need a reliable backup keeper. An attacker and a midfielder.

I have mention a right wing back which appears that Zeefulk will sign for us when Work permit is issued. Then a mention a centre midfielder and attacker whether a number 9 type or someone who can wide forward role. I would like to see us make 1 permanent signing whether it be the Centre midfielder or the attacker. not both loans but if the budget will only cover that then fair enough.

I don't think we need anymore. Used the players that got us to second in the league. 

27 minutes ago, bluebruce said:

Conspicuous by absence - a reliable deputy for Kaminski. Until yesterday this didn't seem as much of a priority, but now I absolutely dread Kaminski being out for even a few games. Could be enough to cost us everything as it's likely to be tight at the end of the season. Again due to the loan numbers limitation, this could be tricky to pull off well enough to be worth it, but I think we are taking an almighty risk as things stand.

Why on earth don't you rate Pears?

• Like 3

On 08/01/2022 at 13:36, justaname said:

I hear buying him would cost you 3.5 million €. We bought him for 4 million € and I would have expected something like 2 million € if a non-English team came and wanted to buy him right away. But since you are in fact English 🙂 and will have a few months to take a look at him, it's probably a fair deal. If he does well then you'll gladly pay that sum and if not he'll be back in no time.

I'm sure this is a common misconception on the continent, but not all English clubs are flush with cash. In fact, very few Championship clubs are. You're all thinking of Premiership clubs. The second tier...not many are going to spend 3.5 million Euros on a right back who hasn't played in this league. Quite frankly, I don't believe we have the money for it, and if the purchase clause is that high, we are probably lying to you about our ability to spend that in the summer in order to get the loan done. If the clause was about 2 million as you say would be fair, we might not be leading you on and actually intend to buy him if he does well.

Of course, if we get promoted and think he can step up to the Prem, that's an entirely different story. There's a small chance we can also afford it if we don't get promoted, but sell Brereton for very good money. But if we sell him for say, 25 million, I'd estimate at least half of it will get swallowed up by our debt. A good chunk of the rest would be on a Brereton replacement, potentially leaving a little to play with to replace Nyambe (our current RB), Lenihan (our captain) and Rothwell (a key midfielder). I don't think 3.5 million just for the RB is likely in that scenario.

For a bit of context, the most we have spent in the last few years is 6-7 million on Brereton, 5 million on Gallagher and 1.5-3 million on Armstrong. All English strikers we intended to sell on for big profits. After that, I think the most we have spent on anybody for years was 750k. On defenders, I think the most we have spent on one is 500k in about the last...oh, 9 years probably? And even when our defence drastically needed new players, we relied on loans and freebies. Basically, don't hold your breath for that 3.5 million.

11 minutes ago, chaddyrovers said:

I have mention a right wing back which appears that Zeefulk will sign for us when Work permit is issued. Then a mention a centre midfielder and attacker whether a number 9 type or someone who can wide forward role. I would like to see us make 1 permanent signing whether it be the Centre midfielder or the attacker. not both loans but if the budget will only cover that then fair enough.

I don't think we need anymore. Used the players that got us to second in the league. 

You're honestly ok with Pears in goal if Kaminski gets injured for 3 months? Really?

5 minutes ago, chaddyrovers said:

There is nothing we can do about it but you are finding excuses already. Who knows what will happen. But what we do know is we got to second in the league with this squad cos of the team spirit and sticking together to produce this good first half of the season. But for some reasons you want 6 signings and think they are going to be fit enough, settle quickly and have an impact while ignoring that Butterworth, Carter, Pears, Dolan and Davenport have all played a part in getting us to where we are in this league and part of this squad. 

There is something we can do and make provisions by ensuring that we have a deep squad just in case. 6 was at most, maybe 4 or 5 which is not much different to 3. We lack numbers and we also could do with different options, its not like say last season when blooding untested kids had less risk considering that we were in mid table. You keep saying about excuses because you are again not reading and are just replying to your own arguments. Its not about making excuses, it is about having enough quality in depth to cover and challenge for a promotion push.

Also your comments on Burke, do I know for sure that if he joined, that he would be shit here? Of course not. But I would not personally recommend signing a player that has been a massive failure and has looked poor whenever I have seen him in the last few years. Not only that, but his only flickers of career promise were as a winger, not as a forward. His goal record is woeful too.

Regarding the budget, we have a major sale in this years accounts. To invest a chunk of that considering our position seems a reasonable expectation of the owners.

@roversfan99 I've seen you comment that Zeefuik's highlight video only showed blood and thunder challenges, and that good reading and positioning aren't as exciting so rarely make it into highlight reels. So I thought this was interesting, from the article someone posted earlier ( https://www.scoutedftbl.com/best-young-football-players/deyovaisio-zeefuik/ ).

'The 22-year-old often uses his body well, getting himself between the ball and his opponent, allowing him to regain possession. It should be noted that he also averages 1.4 interceptions and 0.7 blocks per 90, highlighting the dividends of good positioning and anticipation.'

Data doesn't tell the full story, and interception stats are harder to find than many, but for comparison, Nyambe seems to average 1.3 interceptions and 0.3 blocks. Zeefuik also had 3 tackles per game to Nyambe's 2.1. Different league, different teams, slightly old article etc etc but the data and the scouting report seem to suggest he does read the game fairly well. Tbh I don't think you can fly into tackles like he does, not read the game well, and avoid getting about 8 red cards a season!

Just thought you might be interested.

Edited by bluebruce
  • Like 3

Just now, bluebruce said:

@roversfan99 I've seen you comment that Zeefuik's highlight video only showed blood and thunder challenges, and that good reading and positioning aren't as exciting so rarely make it into highlight reels. So I thought this was interesting, from the article someone posted earlier ( https://www.scoutedftbl.com/best-young-football-players/deyovaisio-zeefuik/ ).

'The 22-year-old often uses his body well, getting himself between the ball and his opponent, allowing him to regain possession. It should be noted that he also averages 1.4 interceptions and 0.7 blocks per 90, highlighting the dividends of good positioning and anticipation.'

Data doesn't tell the full story, and interception stats are harder to find than many, but for comparison, Nyambe seems to average 1.3 interceptions and 0.3 blocks. Zeefuik also had 3 tackles per game to Nyambe's 2.1. Different league, different teams, slightly old article etc etc but the data and the scouting report seem to suggest he does read the game fairly well. Tbh I don't think you can fly into tackles like he does, not read the game well, and avoid getting about 8 red cards a season!

I definitely think that highlight reels can easily give an unfair representation on a player, 100%.

I am wary of reading too much into raw data especially on its own as there are so many limitations to it, not least the way that these things are measured, how positioning may lead to less "tackles" having to be made etc. And also as you mentioned, you are comparing different leagues, playing in different teams with different styles, its a minefield and the key is never the data/footage but the opinions of the judge. But I would certainly agree regarding the limitations of highlight reels and much of what you say ties into that and proves how of limited use that highlight reel is.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Sparks Rover said:

If Nyambe stays until the summer he should still play in my opinion.  His attitude has been top notch. Tony shouldn't be cutting his nose off to spite his face, yesterday showed us that.

Agreed but it would be nice to have cover 

2 hours ago, chaddyrovers said:

I don't see Nyambe staying past this summer even if we go up. Looking at Mowbray's comments last week its seem like he thinks similar. Which is a shame given that Nyambe has been here for such a long time and is product of our great academy system here. 

Who to say Burke won't be successful here cos he might play in a system and style that suits him and his game? I have open mind on any signing that Rovers sign and I don't worry about previous clubs experiences or what fans think tbh. 

You said the same in the summer about who was going to replace goals and the team has set up and performed plus we are doing better this season than last summer. Seems to be more togetherness and team spirit in this squad than last season for some reasons. 

but by making so many signings who all need to settle quickly and made an impact in the next 3 and half months is very unrealistic. Plus do we have the budget or squad spaces for these 6 signings you want? Plus 

You keep mention other teams have deeper squads? yet we are ahead of 22 other teams and we got there by having a smaller young squad.

I think the best chance we see Naymbe in a rovers shirt after the summer is if he comes back at the end of his career 

1 hour ago, bluebruce said:

, I don't believe we have the money for it, and if the purchase clause is that high, we are probably lying to you about our ability to spend that in the summer in order to get the loan done. If the clause was about 2 million as you say would be fair, we might not be leading you on and actually intend to buy him if he does well.

Of course, if we get promoted and think he can step up to the Prem, that's an entirely different story.

Reckon you’re bang on here 

If we get up we’ll likely sign him. If not we’ll send him back and rely on the lad from Ireland 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, roversfan99 said:

I definitely think that highlight reels can easily give an unfair representation on a player, 100%.

I am wary of reading too much into raw data especially on its own as there are so many limitations to it, not least the way that these things are measured, how positioning may lead to less "tackles" having to be made etc. And also as you mentioned, you are comparing different leagues, playing in different teams with different styles, its a minefield and the key is never the data/footage but the opinions of the judge. But I would certainly agree regarding the limitations of highlight reels and much of what you say ties into that and proves how of limited use that highlight reel is.

The opinions of the judge can be wrong too though. Even the best get it wrong. There's no flawless way of assessing a player. People can't even agree on whether Messi or Ronaldo is the better player. The article the other poster put up though is a combination of footage, data and the opinion of someone who has watched him play a lot more than presumably anyone on here has. Between all the footage and opinions I've heard so far, I feel we're getting a picture of what kind of player he is. The proof will always be in the pudding though, when he's in our shirt, playing in a different league and different country. Then we will all make up our own opinions of him. Even then they'll change. In the meantime, there's little point discussing him at all if we're going to dismiss anything that is of 'limited use'.

Regarding better positioning leading to less tackles, yes that's exactly what I saw you post previously and why I thought interceptions and blocks being reasonably high too suggests he isn't just all over the shop and having to make wild tackles. As we've said, they can't give the whole picture, but some indications are emerging. Very interested to see how he does when he settles in.

8 hours ago, chaddyrovers said:

If Covid or Injuries happen then they happens. 

You’ve changed your tune. A few weeks ago you were blaming ‘stupid players’ for not taking proper precautions if they caught Covid…

Edited by Mattyblue
  • Like 1

12 hours ago, Sparks Rover said:

If Nyambe stays until the summer he should still play in my opinion.  His attitude has been top notch. Tony shouldn't be cutting his nose off to spite his face, yesterday showed us that.

Nyambe plays only if he proves to be better than the incoming fella whose name I will not even attempt.  Best of the two starts.  Sadly we don't have a cup game to try him out in.

8 minutes ago, USABlue said:

Nyambe plays only if he proves to be better than the incoming fella whose name I will not even attempt.  Best of the two starts.  Sadly we don't have a cup game to try him out in.

Be interesting to see if this new signing has to do the usual few weeks of getting to know how things work etc....my bet is this one will be right in, Mogadon hates Nyambe you can tell.. 

• Like 2

11 hours ago, roversfan99 said:

Begs one question, could we put together a highlight reel of Nyambe that is that impressive?  Not sure we could, certainley could not show him scoring.  Still I am sure it skews in favour if the player, don't recall seeing any headers.