BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

The Dingles

9 hours ago, AllRoverAsia said:

In the past few seasons success has been finishing above Preston.

This season it will be by finishing above Preston and Burnley.

IF we finish above Burnley then we will finish top half for sure.

I think both us and Burnley will struggle to make an impact on the top 6, but really to early to judge before all transfers are done.

IF Luton finish top 6 then thuggery and hoofball will be a model to follow.

That’s a point. The officials in this league tend to let a lot more go by. We got beaten up at Luton  last season. A reckless tackle saw Edun off for a couple of months and that sly elbow on the blind side saw Gallagher coughing blood up.

The relegated teams that have done well and bounced back tend to be those that have maintained consistency in their set up and squad. Norwich, Fulham, Bournemouth, Watford - all had relatively low turnovers in personnel

Dingles have almost built an entire new team and with 6 weeks left to go I'd be surprised if they didn't lose a few more. That sort of turnover requires time to settle and adapt. Takes some doing to craft it into a promotion ready team in one pre-season.

If they'd have kept Dyche and their squad from the start of last season I'd expect them to be there or thereabouts on automatic promotion. I'm less sure of that now.

In their favour is the general weak state of the Championship. Aside from the other two relegated clubs and perhaps WBA/Sheff U/Middlesbrough there's really nothing there in this league. Even sides like Huddersfield and Luton who were top 6 last season I'd be very surprised to see in there again this.

• Like 1

13 hours ago, Oldgregg86 said:

Mcneill is a quality player and would tear defenders to shreds in this league

Show him onto his right foot and he is completely ineffective. The Premier League worked that out last year and he had a very, very quiet season.

4 minutes ago, longsiders1882 said:

Hearing it’s all but done. Also hearing we’ve signed a Brazilian right back which must suggest Roberts is on his way - or Lowton.

Assuming that it's a decent 8 figure fee, I suspect you might've got the better end of the deal with that one. Surprised that Roberts is going - I had thought that he would've been one of the ones more likely to stay.

26 minutes ago, Admiral Nelsen said:

Assuming that it's a decent 8 figure fee, I suspect you might've got the better end of the deal with that one. Surprised that Roberts is going - I had thought that he would've been one of the ones more likely to stay.

I’m assuming on Roberts just based on us signing another right back - could be they’ll play right side in tandem as both are attacking full backs.

The figure for McNeill is around 10 million plus add ons. After his last 2 seasons probably as good as we could do post relegation. I think there is a player in there but I’m not sure we will ever see it. Everton fans will be far less forgiving of him turning circles to avoid using his right.

Cornet also sounds like will be done in next couple of weeks - he’ll be a miss but both were expected to go. If we bring in a new striker and replacements (after Manuel Benson from Antwerp apparently) we couldn’t really hope for much more.

• Like 1

On 25/07/2022 at 10:20, cesus said:

Show him onto his right foot and he is completely ineffective. The Premier League worked that out last year and he had a very, very quiet season.

there is no hiding place in top echelons of football,if you have a weakness,it will be exposed,mcneil did`nt seem to able to adapt either,is he off to the relegation bound everton??

2 minutes ago, simongarnerisgod said:

there is no hiding place in top echelons of football,if you have a weakness,it will be exposed,mcneil did`nt seem to able to adapt either,is he off to the relegation bound everton??

That’s the story - I may have been conservative in my fee estimate. Suggestion is 15 million paid over 3 years.

3 minutes ago, longsiders1882 said:

I’m assuming on Roberts just based on us signing another right back - could be they’ll play right side in tandem as both are attacking full backs.

The figure for McNeill is around 10 million plus add ons. After his last 2 seasons probably as good as we could do post relegation. I think there is a player in there but I’m not sure we will ever see it. Everton fans will be far less forgiving of him turning circles to avoid using his right.

Cornet also sounds like will be done in next couple of weeks - he’ll be a miss but both were expected to go. If we bring in a new striker and replacements (after Manuel Benson from Antwerp apparently) we couldn’t really hope for much more.

Obviously this is caveated that the replacements for them need to be up to scratch, but personally I think it's good thing for you that they're sold. McNeil will have much more quality than most at this level, but it's no good in his position if he doesn't regularly score and/or set up goals, which given his recent record would be a fair risk. Obviously no such issue with Cornet, but you'd worry about his hunger and physical capacity for such a tough league.

• Like 1

This league is a grinder. You’ve got to be able to fight for the right to play your football. That’s been our failing over the years. Too much prospective son in law material and not enough JoeyBarton/Robbie Savage/David Speedie type bastards.

Maybe Kompany knows that and is getting rid of the players who don’t fancy the battle.

• Like 3

Just now, Tyrone Shoelaces said:

This league is a grinder. You’ve got to be able to fight for the right to play your football. That’s been our failing over the years. Too much prospective son in law material and not enough JoeyBarton/Robbie Savage/David Speedie type bastards.

Maybe Kompany knows that and is getting rid of the players who don’t fancy the battle.

Completely agree - but an issue for them is that they're losing some of their harder players too. THB and the other young lad from City might be made of the right stuff, but they won't replace what they had with Mee and Tarkowski. 

They could easily end up having a strong season, but at this point it's incredibly tough to judge. 

• Like 1

34 minutes ago, Admiral Nelsen said:

Completely agree - but an issue for them is that they're losing some of their harder players too. THB and the other young lad from City might be made of the right stuff, but they won't replace what they had with Mee and Tarkowski. 

They could easily end up having a strong season, but at this point it's incredibly tough to judge. 

We had little choice with Tarkowski - he was going no matter what and once relegated so was Mee. Brownhill has an edge - and Barnes definitely does. Actually Roberts and Taylor don’t mind mixing it up either. Don’t know so much on the new lads of course but Cullen has played in this league so knows the score. I’d love Cornet to stay but that was never happening - and he’d need careful managing physically.

But I’m with you - we could have a blinding season, a disaster and anything in between. Right now I can’t call it. We better be ready for the 12th November though 😬

• Like 2

2 hours ago, longsiders1882 said:

Hearing it’s all but done. Also hearing we’ve signed a Brazilian right back which must suggest Roberts is on his way - or Lowton.

Yes its looks like McNeil is having a medical at Everton and Cornet is off to West Ham so Its looks like I was right you would lose both. 

Massive job there for Kompany and he has to replacing 2 very quality players there

12 minutes ago, chaddyrovers said:

Yes its looks like McNeil is having a medical at Everton and Cornet is off to West Ham so Its looks like I was right you would lose both. 

Massive job there for Kompany and he has to replacing 2 very quality players there

You - and every Burnley fan along with most of football - were right. Two obvious transfers the minute we were relegated. Though the links to McNeill have been slow to solidify.

Already in for Benson, still need a striker; apparently the Brazilian can play higher up the park. Pre season suggests our formation will more or less be 4 2 2 2, full backs to push on and provide width, Cullen to drop into a back 3 when we are on the attack. I’m sure they are working on targets. Will take sometime I think for things to gel - though Cullen really understands the system and to some degree so does Harwood-Bellis having done half a season with Kompany.

I hope our fans are patient, I don’t imagine us having the most amazing start. 

1 hour ago, longsiders1882 said:

You - and every Burnley fan along with most of football - were right. Two obvious transfers the minute we were relegated. Though the links to McNeill have been slow to solidify.

Clubs interested in him have been pre season tours so it was likely to be slow bringing their interest to the bid stage

1 hour ago, longsiders1882 said:

Already in for Benson, still need a striker; apparently the Brazilian can play higher up the park. Pre season suggests our formation will more or less be 4 2 2 2, full backs to push on and provide width, Cullen to drop into a back 3 when we are on the attack. I’m sure they are working on targets. Will take sometime I think for things to gel - though Cullen really understands the system and to some degree so does Harwood-Bellis having done half a season with Kompany.

Benson?

35 minutes ago, chaddyrovers said:

Clubs interested in him have been pre season tours so it was likely to be slow bringing their interest to the bid stage

Benson?

15 minutes ago, simongarnerisgod said:

the rather bizarely named manuel benson,never heard of him either

Manuel Benson from Antwerp - https://www.hitc.com/en-gb/2022/07/25/3m-ace-compared-to-gareth-bale-could-be-burnleys-new-maxwel-cornet/?amp - not sure the Bale comparison is going to be that accurate but sounds like he’s a pacy winger.

58 minutes ago, roversfan99 said:

O'Hare could potentially be an upgrade on the productivity or lack of that McNeil brings.

I haven’t seen O’Hare play but he seems highly regarded in the Championship and our pursuit suggests Kompany highly rates him. Not sure we are willing to pay 10 million though.

1 hour ago, simongarnerisgod said:

everton fans not to happy with the signing,great deal for burnley,tbh i think everton have payed far to much

Everton fans wouldn’t know a player of potential if he hit them in the face, I think McNeil might be a a success, let’s wait and see. Good business for Burnley nevertheless. 

O’Hare talks fallen through according to Coventry press. 

Edited by Ianrally

11 minutes ago, Ianrally said:

Everton fans wouldn’t know a player of potential if he hit them in the face, I think McNeil might be a a success, let’s wait and see. Good business for Burnley nevertheless. 

O’Hare talks fallen through according to Coventry press. 

much as i despise everton fans,they are right on mcneil,i don`t think he`s very good and going into a poor team with a bad manager it is`nt going to work for him,it shows how badly run  everton are as a club when they buy mcneil and ignore cornet,the better player by far and would likely cost the same

• Like 2