BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

Tony Mowbray, dignity!

2 hours ago, Mattyblue said:

But you are putting those losses solely on the first team manager, they would pretty much the same whoever was in situ in this league,

Not really because a better manager might not have persuaded the owners to "calm down" after promotion from League 1 and might easily have got us promoted at some point over the last 4 seasons.

He’s had mid table budgets for fees and wages and has finished mid table, does that mean he’s a good manager then? Not particularly, as the likes of Luton can show you can make a mockery of your budget in such a competitive league

Agreed.

VENKY’S have been burning their own cash for some unknown reason for 12 years now…

Might not be a popular view but might be an indication of good intentions even if that largesse has been generally wasted to date by not putting in the best people they can on the ground to manage the Club on and off the pitch. The quality of the next managerial appointment will be key. A Dyche or a Farke or another has been or never was plucked randomly off the managerial scrap heap like Mowbray?

• Like 1

So like I said, a better manager might have got us promoted, ergo reducing losses, but it’s not his fault that he was allowed to carry on and on and on by the owners, is it?

So I ask again, how the bloody hell is this one employee who could’ve been fired at any time the one that has ‘wasted £100 million?!’

Edited by Mattyblue
  • Like 3

13 minutes ago, Mattyblue said:

So like I said, a better manager might have got us promoted, ergo reducing losses, but it’s not his fault that he was allowed to carry on and on and on by the owners, is it?

So I ask again, how the bloody hell is this one employee who could’ve been fired at any time the one that has ‘wasted £100 million?!’

In answer to the second paragraph, he's the one that makes the decisions on players coming in and out so he's the one responsible for paying Mulgrew £2m over 2 seasons to pay for Fleetwood, for paying the likes of Smallwood Hart and Gladwin not to play/or train with us, for giving Downing and Johnson new deals when they didn't warrant it, for giving numerous lucrative new deals to ageing or substastandard players such as Graham, Bennett and Evans etc. £5m for the useless Gallagher plus £20k p.w. and then an extended contract despite failing to impress. Another £20k p.w. for Ayala to generally sit in the treatment room. A Greek keeper who seems to have disappeared off the face of the earth, 4 year deal for the useless Pears etc etc.

But yes, you're absolutely right, it is the owners fault he has been allowed to carry on and on and on. It was obvious to me he wasn't up to it at this level relatively soon after our return to the Championship in Jan or Feb 2019.

• Like 3

2 hours ago, SuperBrfc said:

Their representatives are one and the same. They got them both in at Rovers, so it's possible they can get them both in at Hibs too.

Which is nearer to Tees-side, Edinburgh or Blackburn ? So much for family/life balance.

Edited by rigger

30 minutes ago, RevidgeBlue said:

In answer to the second paragraph, he's the one that makes the decisions on players coming in and out so he's the one responsible for paying Mulgrew £2m over 2 seasons to pay for Fleetwood, for paying the likes of Smallwood Hart and Gladwin not to play/or train with us, for giving Downing and Johnson new deals when they didn't warrant it, for giving numerous lucrative new deals to ageing or substastandard players such as Graham, Bennett and Evans etc. £5m for the useless Gallagher plus £20k p.w. and then an extended contract despite failing to impress. Another £20k p.w. for Ayala to generally sit in the treatment room. A Greek keeper who seems to have disappeared off the face of the earth, 4 year deal for the useless Pears etc etc.

But yes, you're absolutely right, it is the owners fault he has been allowed to carry on and on and on. It was obvious to me he wasn't up to it at this level relatively soon after our return to the Championship in Jan or Feb 2019.

The warning bells started ringing in my head when he let Wigan walk away with the trophy for winning the division. I made my mind up he wasn’t the right man for the job after seeing the calibre of his signings when we actually got back up. Just a few bodies in to help the existing lads out etc.

• Like 4

3 minutes ago, Tyrone Shoelaces said:

I know where I’d rather live. 

That wasn't the question, or the point. Mowbray has stated that one of his concerns at the Rovers, has been living away from his family. If he went to Hibs, he would be even further away, which doesn't give much credibility to his concern.

22 hours ago, RevidgeBlue said:

Good grief, I can't believe Im reading that!

As you know Nick, I have the utmost respect and admiration for the selfless work that you and your colleagues have put in for the last 12-18 months trying to point the Club gently in the right direction but I couldn't disagree more strongly with the above.

Firstly Im not sure how anyone can say we're in a better place now than before Mowbray was appointed with the Club (or rather the owners) another £100m in debt and half the first team departing for nothing in the summer.

Secondly he's acted like he's doing everyone a favour by being here in the latter part of his reign, and he is actually  extremely lucky that the owners seem to have been  of the view that a contract is a contract and that he's been allowed to see his out despite runs of desperately disappointing results season after season. So to praise his "devotion" is a bit of a stretch to put it mildly.

Thirdly, and I think this is the most important point which I think everyone is completely missing, presumably Mowbray's contract ends on the usual date of 30th of June. The owners are under no obligation whatsoever to enter into contract negotiations at any minimum period prior to this date. Of course if they wanted him to stay but but left it until the day before his contract expired they'd run the risk of him getting fed up of waiting and having made alternative arrangements elsewhere but that's the risk they take.

The point is even more pertinent when you consider that we only knew for absolute certain what our fate would be on Saturday evening. Of course the Club COULD have announced at the end of January he was leaving at the end of the season no matter what or COULD have given him a new contract back at the end of January when we were doing well. However I'm guessing that very few people would have wanted him to get a new deal if we missed out on the play offs, conversely the vast majority would have been in favour of him getting a new deal of some sort had he taken us up and those same people would have thought to announce his departure in January harsh in the extreme. I think waiting until our fate was clear was exactly the right and  common sense thing to do and imo Mowbray has jumped the gun and pre-empted the Club to get everyone feeling sorry for him. (I've been told he's made the unilateral decision to retire anyway although how true that is I don't know)

Imo he's played everyone, the owners, the supporters, and the media like an absolute fiddle.

Simon,

I've answered you privately and personally.

I stand by what I said, in so much that as a club, Mowbray's impending departure should have been handled in a much more dignified manner than it would appear to have been the case.

I don't agree with much that has gone on with regards to how the club has generally been run, as well you know, despite the unerring and continued financial support from the owners, particularly during the pandemic when revenue/income was next to zero. 

I'll leave it there.

43 minutes ago, roversfan99 said:

He was not a burden 3 years ago. And as ever, the responsibility falls with the owners to sack a manager.

And these owners, where (who) the fook are they these past 12 years? 

That's right - India, completely disconnected, disinterested and disengaged with anything happening or not happening in Blackburn.

Rovers owners sack a manager... yeah, right.

42 minutes ago, Shirley Crabtree Wrestler said:

And these owners, where (who) the fook are they these past 12 years? 

That's right - India, completely disconnected, disinterested and disengaged with anything happening or not happening in Blackburn.

Rovers owners sack a manager... yeah, right.

Exactly, they have always been the problem.

• Like 3

2 hours ago, RoversClitheroe said:

"I will not be a burden on this club" the dignified thing for Mowbray to do would have been to resign 3 years ago.

Rovers should not have recruited from the scrapheap 5 years ago nor have allowed him to bring in/recruit/recommend Waggot or Bob the Builder.

The possession of a PC, the ability to read English and 30 minutes of their time would have made it clear to anyone with a single working brain cell that the above were not good ideas.

• Like 5