BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

8th.......

It’s now rare to take less than a 1,000 to any away game, north/south, day/night. And that was the case for a season or two before Covid too. The consistently best away support we’ve had for a very long time.  

P.s. Middlesbrough a similar size town yes, but in comparison to us they have a vast catchment area stretching from North Yorkshire to County Durham.

Edited by Mattyblue
  • Like 6

Yes a few have pointed that out to the gloating Boro fans, something like 390 thousand urban area population.

Although it's only fair to factor distance in as well they have a real hike to most other places in the division.

I was thinking about this yesterday and for me the crowds who go away have been great. They have created an atmosphere and sung pretty much non stop throughout the game. I've also noticed there are lots of youngsters which augers well provided the club can keep them interested. It would be interesting to know how many of the regular away supporters are actually season ticket holders.

As Matty says above, you rarely get less than 1000 away fans following us these days, which as a far cry from the 200/400 I’ve seen at Liverpool, Old Trafford and Goodison in the not to distant past. 

It would be normal at any other club to do some market research on those that go away, are they local based that don’t attend home games due to useless owners? Or something else? But that will never happen as nobody cares enough.

Support has been tremendous all season home and away for me, great effort by all concerned and shows just what the club means to many. 

• Like 5

Yet, we will probably see another summer of terrible season ticket sales. 

There is a potential crowd revival brewing just under the surface, alas Waggott’s pricing and dysfunctional decision making from the top is determined to nip it in the bud…

Edited by Mattyblue
  • Like 5

27 minutes ago, Mattyblue said:

Yet, we will probably see another summer of terrible season ticket sales. 

There is a potential crowd revival brewing just under the surface, alas Waggott’s pricing and dysfunctional decision making from the top is determined to nip it in the bud…

Not wanting to turn this into a bitch fest as this is a celebration of our tremendous support.

The CEO and owners couldn’t care less Matty, we are a far cry from the John Williams and Tom Finn days sadly. The frustrating part is we don’t have to be, bringing in qualified people who care is relatively cheap, which adds more weight to this all being orchestrated failure.  

• Like 1

Unlike Williams, Swag has no strategic t interest to build the support, he’s not employed to do so, just to hit whatever short term revenue targets he’s been given. Of course, we see the community work being done, but this is unlikely to lay any eggs (to coin a phrase) in the short to medium term.

The results being a dwindling number of core supporters are asked to pay more and more. There is so much you could do with Ewood, with supporters groups, Branch associations, singing areas, safe standing, flags and banners, bars, fan zones (and that is just off the top of my head). Alas, there is no ambition within the club to do any of it, because, well, why bother, I’m hitting my targets, and Ewood is a doddle to manage on a match day…

• Like 2

5 hours ago, arbitro said:

I was thinking about this yesterday and for me the crowds who go away have been great. They have created an atmosphere and sung pretty much non stop throughout the game. I've also noticed there are lots of youngsters which augers well provided the club can keep them interested. It would be interesting to know how many of the regular away supporters are actually season ticket holders.

I have noticed an increase in younger lads who support different teams, going to Rovers away games. The ones I have spoken to, say it's because it's a good away-day.

Edited by rigger

I've noticed a lot more younger lads getting into the away days, which is good to see, combined with the impact of the results going well for a period of the season.  Hopefully the decent away followings continue into next season, no reason they can't if we appoint the right manager......

15 hours ago, tomphil said:

...best away support in the league this season and only Boro (top) above us in the similar sized town stakes.

All regular travellers give yourselves a pat on the back a terrific effort especially given how the second half was relegation form.

Everybody kept the faith so it's a big middle finger to those who knock the support, i include some of our own fans and people outside and inside the club.

The young squad knows the score and they appreciate it.

I wholeheartedly agree tomphil.

I've missed only one away game this season and that was Cardiff!

I get annoyed and aggravated at some of our young away support and their exuberant behaviour, some get up my nose. I accept that that is down to my age but also accept that I was young once. Whilst I didn't 'sniff' at all and don't condone it in any way shape or form (in fact I think it abhorrent), the only issue I have with our young travelling support is the lack of respect for others.

Rightly or wrongly, I will always talk to these young lads and cajole them to sit down for example if they are impeding the view of others that would prefer to sit. Almost without exception, they always comply and understand and never have I been confronted.

We have a growing and enthusiastic support amongst youngsters and it needs to be harnessed and encouraged to grow, (whilst being managed by us 'elder statesmen' who were young once in much tougher times!)

Bring it on in 22/23.....WE ARE The Rovers!!!

• Like 2

I just don’t believe you on the ‘always comply’ bit, especially at local away games.

A group of lads who have had ten pints and a bag of coke each aren’t going to sit down in an away end full of stood up folk just because of your magical cajoling techniques… perhaps you pick your battles 😏

Edited by Mattyblue

2 hours ago, rigger said:

I have noticed an increase in younger lads who support different teams, going to Rovers away games. The ones I have spoken to, say it's because it's a good away-day.

Several of my mates from Chorley area who supported Liverpool and a geordie fan often came to Rovers with me when we were late teens. Same reason they just loved the craic, liked the team because they always had a go but sadly they soon turned full circle when Jack made us a threat to their beloved sides.

I'd imagine it's the same now although iv'e no time for these scroats who say i 'support'  Liverpool/City/Utd but Blackburn are my local club so i follow them sometimes !

Edited by tomphil

16 hours ago, tomphil said:

...best away support in the league this season and only Boro (top) above us in the similar sized town stakes.

All regular travellers give yourselves a pat on the back a terrific effort especially given how the second half was relegation form.

Everybody kept the faith so it's a big middle finger to those who knock the support, i include some of our own fans and people outside and inside the club.

The young squad knows the score and they appreciate it.

What's our average away following,any info to back that claim tomphil?

16 minutes ago, tomphil said:

Several of my mates from Chorley area who supported Liverpool and a geordie fan often came to Rovers with me when we were late teens. Same reason they just loved the craic, liked the team because they always had a go but sadly they soon turned full circle when Jack made us a threat to their beloved sides.

I'd imagine it's the same now although iv'e no time for these scroats who say i 'support'  Liverpool/City/Utd but Blackburn are my local club so i follow them sometimes !

I have met lads from Accy, Oldham, Spurs, Arsenal, who support their own town teams, but enjoy going to Rovers away. Heard a few scouse type accents as well.  

29 minutes ago, Mattyblue said:

I just don’t believe you on the ‘always comply’ bit, especially at local away games.

A group of lads who have had ten pints and a bag of coke each aren’t going to sit down in an away end full of stood up folk just because of your magical cajoling techniques… perhaps you pick your battles 😏

Matt, One thing I'm not is a liar!

I'm sorry you've raised this previously. I can assure you that everyone I have ever asked , whether they be pissed up or coked up, whoever they are, to show respect, sit down or whatever.....they have done just that.

I pick no battles whatsoever, don't care tbh, I'm sorry you think that way. Respect is just that...Respect and everyone has it within them to recognise that, irrespective.

Or perhaps I may be a snake charmer 😉

Edited by darrenrover

7 minutes ago, SIMON GARNERS 194 said:

What's our average away following,any info to back that claim tomphil?

There's plenty of evidence to be fair

On 11/05/2022 at 12:17, MarkBRFC said:

Yet there are many out there that would have you believe that the fans are the main problem at the club.

Hmm I dunno, we finished 8th in the league, 8th best away supporters...the correlation must be causation, the supporters are to blame!

1st or 2nd best away fans next year and we are golden!

I go to the home games but as I have other life commitments I only tend to go to one away game a season. This seasons away game for me was Reading which I did actually really enjoy despite the game being awful to watch.