BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

Eurovision 2022

Realise I'm in a minority here, but lovely to see Sam Ryder top the jury scorecard. Obviously we weren't going to top the public vote for Ukraine (and I should know, the wife and I both voted for them), but it shows what we can do when we put a bit of effort in.

• Backroom

Haven't watched Eurovision in a while, but had it on in the background this year out of curiosity as to how the votes would play out. Not really a surprise that Ukraine got an overwhelming public vote, and honestly I don't really have a problem with it. Eurovision has been political for decades, so why get angry about it now? I actually thought Ukraine's song was memorable enough to be a worthy winner. Moldova getting 200+ public votes was amusing, but just shows that standing out from the crowd in Eurovision will get you a long way regardless of song quality. 

My personal favourite was The Rasmus' 'Jezebel', but as somebody who leans heavily towards rock/metal that's a given as there weren't any other acts this year in that vein. I thought Poland and Germany's entries deserved better. Certainly don't think Germany deserved to come last. Our track along with Sweden and Spain's were the best pop songs of the competition, and one of the three would undoubtedly have won in any other year. 

The biggest mistake was putting a seemingly never-ending string of ballads in the middle. A total momentum killer and made a lot of them difficult to remember, which was ultimately reflected in the public vote. A poor production decision. 

• Like 1

38 minutes ago, MelchesterRover said:

Many years ago.

Didn't Britain get zero points one time because everyone hated Tony Blair?

I thought they gave us 0 points on several occasions. From I heard of the songs at the time we did well to get zero.

Edited by Tyrone Shoelaces
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, MelchesterRover said:

Many years ago.

Didn't Britain get zero points one time because everyone hated Tony Blair?

Unlikely as he was a europhile but until last night we’ve done very badly over the past 10 years especially since the Brexit vote. I wonder why? Eurovision is compulsory viewing in our house - it’s so bad it’s good. We do miss old Terry though. Graham tries hard but he’s not in the same league

• Like 1

I think the whole thing, year on year, is just not my scene.

However, I sat with my better half and watched the whole show up to halfway through the judges voting.

Firstly, the three presenters are not a patch on most British presenters; no polish, no finesse.

Secondly, Graham Norton is a pain in the proverbial. I've never liked him, never will. He often overspoke what us viewers were listening to.

Thirdly, I thought this was a song contest and not a dance contest or a "who can perform best under the most flashing lights" contest. I feel sorry for those who become affected when lights are flashing.

Fourthly, I thought Spain's entry was awful and Australia.........words fail me.

Fifthly, when Iceland were about to give their 12 points we both shouted "Sweden!" Ditto with Cyprus........"Greece!". (Cyprus vote for Greece every year regardless of the quality)

Finally, my favourite songs were Portugal, Poland, Switzerland, Azerbaijan, Armenia and Lithuania. I was most entertained by Moldova.

I

2 hours ago, jim mk2 said:

Unlikely as he was a europhile but until last night we’ve done very badly over the past 10 years especially since the Brexit vote. I wonder why? Eurovision is compulsory viewing in our house - it’s so bad it’s good. We do miss old Terry though. Graham tries hard but he’s not in the same league

2003. Bush's Poodle. Tony Blair. Iraq War. Britain get Zero Points. 

Think Terry Wogan even said as much. . .

Edited by MelchesterRover