v Birmingham City (h) 22/10/2022

Result  

62 members have voted

1. 1. Result

• Win
    • Draw
    • Loss

5 minutes ago, chaddyrovers said:

Kaminski was in great form on Saturday, but the team keep fighting and it was only a mistake from Hyam that Birmingham scored from. 

We have to disagree on the overall performances cos we have performed well in the last 3 games and in the majority of wins we have deserved to win the games. In some away games we have been awful, but we are being more consist recently.

Dack has played in the 9 games this season and totally of 389 mins this season. only in 2 games has he come on for a couple of minutes so that is just wrong. BBD and Gallagher worked so hard and never stop working for the team that we need to change the front quite regular. Dack and Markanday aren't strikers so don't fit how we want to play or even in we change shape to 4-2-3-1 given that you got Gallagher, BBD, Dolan, Szmodics, Hedges, Vale, Hirst all ahead of these 2 players. Those are the current situation. Both have to keep performing in training and in under 21's games

But if we need a goal, allowing for formation changes, who would you bring on out of Dack, Hirst and Vale?! Even throw everyone bar Brereton in there.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, rigger said:

If we push the backline further up, the opposition are not going to target our faster players, they are going to go for the slowest players. On Saturday even our faster defenders were beaten for pace, but a deep defensive line allowed us to force the attackers wide. Which is far less dangerous than an attacker coming through the middle at pace.

I tend to agree, but it has meant that the other side have created a lot of chances, and really the only way we are surviving is heroic last ditch defending and Kaminski turning into Brad... We can't do that week after week.

We have to find a way to push up.

17 minutes ago, joey_big_nose said:

I tend to agree, but it has meant that the other side have created a lot of chances, and really the only way we are surviving is heroic last ditch defending and Kaminski turning into Brad... We can't do that week after week.

We have to find a way to push up.

If we push up, our defenders will not have enough time to play the type of football that the manager wants. Although I don't like the way we play at the back, the most important person (JDT) does. I think more importantly, we have to find a way of getting good early passes to our mid-field. 

Edited by rigger
  • Like 1

21 minutes ago, roversfan99 said:

But if we need a goal, allowing for formation changes, who would you bring on out of Dack, Hirst and Vale?! Even throw everyone bar Brereton in there.

But we didn't need a goal tho in the game. There is far too much focus on Dack full stop by people like you. The team has move on and we are 2nd without Dack. So JDT and the players have shown that the team has move on from Dack being a key player here 

Gallagher is bang in form and his 3 goals in week shows what happens when you play up front you score goals. 

On 22/10/2022 at 21:37, TheRoversReturn said:

Would be nice to see more of Dack and Markanday around the team, it's a long old season in the championship, injuries happen and we'll likely need to count on them (or at least one of them) at some stage.

It'd also be a motivating factor in that doing well in cup games can lead to making the league squad, too. 

Looks like Dack is going to be moved on in January after an apparent falling out. Old Skool v New Skool?

3 hours ago, chaddyrovers said:

But we didn't need a goal tho in the game. There is far too much focus on Dack full stop by people like you. The team has move on and we are 2nd without Dack. So JDT and the players have shown that the team has move on from Dack being a key player here 

Gallagher is bang in form and his 3 goals in week shows what happens when you play up front you score goals. 

My point is in general, as and when we need a goal, if you are Tomasson and you look at the bench on which Dack, Hirst and Vale sit. Who is your first sub?

• Like 1

I missed the game on Saturday and just watched it back last night on RoversTV. I had from reading on here expected that we would be camped out on the edge of our box most of the game like the second half against Boro, but actually thought we kept our backline higher much better, so take back my earlier uninformed comments. 

Birminham are a good side, but we defended well, superb keeping from Kaminski, and we always looked dangerous on the break. Brereton and Gallagher put in a tremendous shift. They look a really good pair as a two - nightmare for defenders due to their physicality and pace. It frees them up so much to decide when they want to go wide and when through the middle. Why why why have we stuck them out on the wings for years??? 

All that said we have - as we have all season - rode our luck a bit the last three games. Sunderland, Boro, Birmingham City all created a lot of chances quite a few of which they should have scored really. It seems JDT is a bit of a lucky manager tbh - some just are - but I would like us to get back to creating more chances than the opposition.

However - we are in top 3 and look full of confidence. Long may it continue!