Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

v Birmingham City (h) 22/10/2022

Result  

62 members have voted

1. 1. Result

• Win
    • Draw
    • Loss

Birmingham were the best attacking side I’ve seen at Ewood this season but defensively they were there to be got at. My preference when going 2-0 up is to always push for a third and kill the game off, JDT seems to favour a more prosaic path and credit to him, in recent weeks it’s worked. For me it’s no coincidence that we lost our ability to keep the ball for any length of time when Wharton went off. That handed a bit too much initiative to Brum and with their attacking substitutions I would have countered that with a more attacking one of our own…Buckley perhaps. Kaminski saved us yesterday and he will need to continue this rich vein of form if we continue to sit back on leads. Very happy though 

• Like 2

One aspect I would criticise Tomasson for is at defensive corners when he has everyone back in our penalty area. I understand the likes of Gallagher and Brereton being there but when they went off we had Dolan picking up a Brum player. Surely he would have been more useful higher up the pitch occupying a couple of defenders and giving us a real chance to counter or at least an outlet to hold the ball up whilst we get further up the pitch.

• Like 7

1 hour ago, AllRoverAsia said:

On any other day Hyam would have cleared it, just caught out on his wrong foot, I think all his weight was on his right foot at the time. A very good defender.

I must admit that I have earned to Gallagher and credit to him and JDT for that. He also looks faster and more into the 'physical' side of the game which is essential as a big tall striker.

Gallagher's work rate and his sprinting has gone up a level since JDT came in

1 hour ago, The Mighty Chaffinch said:

For me it’s no coincidence that we lost our ability to keep the ball for any length of time when Wharton went off. That handed a bit too much initiative to Brum and with their attacking substitutions I would have countered that with a more attacking one of our own…Buckley perhaps. 

We couldn't keep the ball when Adam Wharton was on the pitch second half, but he looked shattered yesterday when he came off 

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, arbitro said:

One aspect I would criticise Tomasson for is at defensive corners when he has everyone back in our penalty area. I understand the likes of Gallagher and Brereton being there but when they went off we had Dolan picking up a Brum player. Surely he would have been more useful higher up the pitch occupying a couple of defenders and giving us a real chance to counter or at least an outlet to hold the ball up whilst we get further up the pitch.

Modern football - I don’t understand it. What help is Dolan going to be in our box ? 

• Like 3

9 hours ago, DE. said:

Pretty much. We got in behind them a few times in the second half but couldn't capitalise. If BBD had been on form I think we may have nabbed a third, but it just wasn't his day today. 

I like how BBD puts in the hard yards but sometimes that comes at the expense of sharpness in front of goal. Extreme example - Jimmy Greaves didn’t run around a lot off the ball but when he got the ball he came alive and it usually ended up in the back of the net.

• Like 3

21 minutes ago, arbitro said:

Interesting. I actually welcome it. I bet you concede far more goals from corners than you score from a counter attack from a corner. First and foremost, keep the ball out of your net. We need to be more cute at relieving the pressure though. Few ‘cramps’ wouldn’t have gone amiss the back end of the game. 

1 hour ago, Mellor Rover said:

Interesting. I actually welcome it. I bet you concede far more goals from corners than you score from a counter attack from a corner. First and foremost, keep the ball out of your net. We need to be more cute at relieving the pressure though. Few ‘cramps’ wouldn’t have gone amiss the back end of the game. 

So you have all 20 players in our box. The goalkeeper is surrounded and can’t claim the cross because he’s boxed in etc etc  it’s not about scoring from counter attacks although that would be useful. It’s about getting two of their players, usually big defenders, back on the half way line and not on our six yard line. The way it is now as soon as it’s cleared it usually goes to a n opposition defender, we can’t get out, and the ball come back into our box again.

Edited by Tyrone Shoelaces
  • Like 5

11 hours ago, Upside Down said:

Any examples of that?

Directly to the club:

food standard and prices of beer/soft drinks and the company that was in place.

ticket prices from season ticket and match day prices 

state of Ewood and the area around the ground

The Blues bar and entry prices to be removed 

release of shirt designs and involving the fans 

the lack of attendance of the owners 

….. I could go on 👍

• Like 4

12 minutes ago, Mellor Rover said:

If we had eleven giants find but with the likes of Dolan I think it's pointless. Years ago when Delap was launching exocets into the opponents penalty area Mourinho threw them a curve ball by keeping four players on the half way line at every Stoke set piece and throw in. Stoke had to put five men back and Pulis was lost as to how to overcome this. I'm not suggesting we keep four up but certainly one would occupy two defenders and not give them an opportunity to put the players in and around our penalty area.

• Like 5

40 minutes ago, arbitro said:

I think we should always have at least two up in situations like that. They can't commit too many forward and as soon as we get the ball it can be quickly launched up the pitch. I'd fancy Dolan against most defenders in that situation. 

• Like 2

1 minute ago, 1864roverite said:

Directly to the club:

food standard and prices of beer/soft drinks and the company that was in place.

ticket prices from season ticket and match day prices 

state of Ewood and the area around the ground

The Blues bar and entry prices to be removed 

release of shirt designs and involving the fans 

the lack of attendance of the owners 

….. I could go on 👍

Well it's good to know you are seeing the same problems as everyone else. What has the response been?

51 minutes ago, chaddyrovers said:

Gallagher's work rate and his sprinting has gone up a level since JDT came in

We couldn't keep the ball when Adam Wharton was on the pitch second half, but he looked shattered yesterday when he came off 

I also feel Gallaghers consistency has gone up lately. He’s starting to play well in more games rather than now and then. Deffo looks a lot better when he’s central (which we all knew😂)

Nice to see him playing with confidence, his work rate is phenomenal, let’s hope his confidence keeps growing 

• Like 2

43 minutes ago, Crozzy said:

I also feel Gallaghers consistency has gone up lately. He’s starting to play well in more games rather than now and then. Deffo looks a lot better when he’s central (which we all knew😂)

Nice to see him playing with confidence, his work rate is phenomenal, let’s hope his confidence keeps growing 

Am I remembering correctly that it was Gallagher and not BBD who skinned 2 Brum players down our left and then got hacked down resulting in a Brum booking. He was leaving them walking in treacle until upended.

Edited by AllRoverAsia
  • Like 3

20 minutes ago, AllRoverAsia said:

Am I remembering correctly that it was Gallagher and not BBD who skinned 2 Brum players down our left and than got hacked down resulting in a Brum booking. He was leaving them walking in treacle until upended.

Correct. Flew past them

• Like 4

1 hour ago, rigger said:

Markanday has been very poor for the U21s

Rigger you keep saying this every time his name is mentioned on here. Don't get me wrong I understand that you watch the U21s so I respect your opinion; but Markanday seems to get an assist and goal every U21 game he plays as well as often testing the goalie and setting up chances for others..

Edited by BRFC4EVA
  • Like 3