v Birmingham City (h) 22/10/2022

Result  

62 members have voted

1. 1. Result

• Win
    • Draw
    • Loss

1 minute ago, Gav said:

Nope that was January transfer window and the club blew it.

This ends badly around the same time as last season sadly, we simply do not have any strength in depth, it’s 1980’s all over again.

That said we should enjoy the wins, enjoy the emergence of new talent, after all the Premiership is shite anyway, isn’t it…..

Yes the manager at the time and the owners blew it between them in more ways than one.

3 hours ago, BankEnd Rover said:

I watched Wharton closely and your correct. Really low on confidence and out of the back 3, he’s got the worst distribution…Defended okay but when he’s closed down he’s one of the culprits for loosing or passing into a bad area….Suppose this falls on the midfield a little also.

His excellent pass created the first goal, really.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, den said:

Another good, hard earned win. We can’t continue having to soak up so much possession and pressure in the second half of games though. It’s getting to be every game. This young side has a lot to learn about how to slow games down and get possession in areas where we can’t be hurt if we lose the ball. 
At the moment we’re trying to football our way out of our own area, when we’re being pinned back. We’re trying to football our way, everywhere, all the time. We can’t keep doing that and getting away with it. 
Im not sure how the coaches are approaching that side of the game but it’s not right at the moment.

Apart from that, excellent.

I agree with all of that and whatever JDT is doing is clearly effective but my god it’s boring. I knew soon as the second went in we would sit back but aslong as the results keep coming it’s all good.

COYB

11 minutes ago, Oldgregg86 said:

I agree with all of that and whatever JDT is doing is clearly effective but my god it’s boring. I knew soon as the second went in we would sit back but aslong as the results keep coming it’s all good.

COYB

I think it’s more they changed formation to a much more attacking line up. They went shit or bust in the second half.  3 up the front etc. Obviously that should leave plenty of spaces out wide for us to counter attack into but we weren’t good enough to capitalise. Maybe that will come in time.

• Like 3

Fantastic to win and score two excellent goals but based on the highlights, the defence had some really poor moments and are susceptible to pace. It looked like reliance on much pure luck and keeper heroics that we won, papering over some significant failings.

Edited by riverholmes
  • Like 2

3 hours ago, Exiled_Rover said:

Does anyone know why A. Wharton can only last 60 minutes? We're a much worse team when he goes off.

Also interesting to see that Garrett has passed Buckley in the pecking order in midfield...

Rightly so. Buckley was some myth. Most willed it because we needed some hope. Wharton is everything we wished he would be. Slick, mobile, neat, aggressive, clever, calm and just an all round lovely footballer even at his age. Garrett looks hungry and eager, willing and enthusiastic. Buckley got some reality check when those two came on the scene, back of the queue and rightly so. 

Edited by BigBar
  • Like 8

• Backroom
2 hours ago, Tyrone Shoelaces said:

I think it’s more they changed formation to a much more attacking line up. They went shit or bust in the second half.  3 up the front etc. Obviously that should leave plenty of spaces out wide for us to counter attack into but we weren’t good enough to capitalise. Maybe that will come in time.

Pretty much. We got in behind them a few times in the second half but couldn't capitalise. If BBD had been on form I think we may have nabbed a third, but it just wasn't his day today. 

• Like 1

The defence played well today considering the amount of pressure they were put under but it was another Championship fixture for me that Travis wasn't able to influence enough. He can win a tackle but hides too often when we're on the ball and isn't good enough on it himself. Needs to step his game up otherwise might find himself losing his place to someone like Garrett or a new signing in January.

• Like 1

Excellent victory today, I'm delighted as Birmingham are on a good run and looked very dangerous. Good thing now that we have beaten them and got them out the way is I'm sure others will drop points against them. Obviously the Dingles did in mid-week and their next two games are QPR and Millwall. 

I still find it odd that Dack can't get on the bench, our bench looks weak, what if we a goal down after an hour?

Pleased for Gally, his confidence seems sky high right now. Pleased we have a week off now, gives us a chance to have a rest and get a couple back.

I was impressed with every player today. The way we battled in the second half was magnificent.

Hedges was a big miss when he went off, we just lost a bit of balance and it was also right about the time they turned it into a full on aerial bombardment. We could have been out of sight if Diaz hadn’t briefly channelled his inner Brereton and put that shot out for a throw in!

Not sure any other player on our books could’ve picked out the bottom corner like Wharton did. Delighted for him and hopefully he’s starting to cement his place as a key player.

Hyam immense again and can be forgiven for the momentary lapse for their goal, much better from Travis too. On any other day Gallagher would’ve been MOTM, but Kaminski was outstanding.

Could’ve been a perfect day if it wasn’t for Mowbray.

• Like 8

38 minutes ago, Miller11 said:

I was impressed with every player today. The way we battled in the second half was magnificent.

Hedges was a big miss when he went off, we just lost a bit of balance and it was also right about the time they turned it into a full on aerial bombardment. We could have been out of sight if Diaz hadn’t briefly channelled his inner Brereton and put that shot out for a throw in!

Not sure any other player on our books could’ve picked out the bottom corner like Wharton did. Delighted for him and hopefully he’s starting to cement his place as a key player.

Hyam immense again and can be forgiven for the momentary lapse for their goal, much better from Travis too. On any other day Gallagher would’ve been MOTM, but Kaminski was outstanding.

Gotta love his double somersault. Very European.  

• Like 2

We're a very wierd side to watch. So many teams come to Ewood and wonder how they're all of a sudden 1 or 2 down. I've been trying to work out how we are top of the league. We seem to lure teams into a false sense of security, thinking we're there for the taking and then pick them apart with random moments of high quality football.  Hedges stepping into midfield when we build in possession must really difficult to deal with, it's quite mad seeing him almost score at the complete opposite side of the pitch when his position is RWB. 

We rode our look today and have TK to thank. We can't sustain this amount of pressure and still pick up points like we currently are.... Although Indo remember saying something similar about B*rnley when they were promoted. 

4 hours ago, Gav said:

Nope that was January transfer window and the club blew it.

This ends badly around the same time as last season sadly, we simply do not have any strength in depth, it’s 1980’s all over again.

That said we should enjoy the wins, enjoy the emergence of new talent, after all the Premiership is shite anyway, isn’t it…..

You sound like a whisky drinker. 

1 hour ago, bigbrandjohn said:

Is Markanday injured. Seems to have slipped out of the reckoning. So much promise as this article shows

https://www.skysports.com/football/news/11675/12725376/diwali-tottenham-legend-ledley-king-on-trailblazer-dilan-markanday-as-blackburn-host-celebrations

Would be nice to see more of Dack and Markanday around the team, it's a long old season in the championship, injuries happen and we'll likely need to count on them (or at least one of them) at some stage.

It'd also be a motivating factor in that doing well in cup games can lead to making the league squad, too. 

6 hours ago, BankEnd Rover said:

Ok simple…but as a whole, he’s still got the worst distribution across the back. He’s not been the same player since his injury. Defiantly lacking in confidence.

Ayala’s distribution is the thing of nightmares. I’ll take Wharton with the balm at his feet over Ayala any day. 

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Miller11 said:

On any other day Hyam would have cleared it, just caught out on his wrong foot, I think all his weight was on his right foot at the time. A very good defender.

I must admit that I have warmed to Gallagher and credit to him and JDT for that. He also looks faster and more into the 'physical' side of the game which is essential as a big tall striker.

Edited by AllRoverAsia
  • Like 5