v Birmingham City (h) 22/10/2022

Result  

62 members have voted

1. 1. Result

• Win
    • Draw
    • Loss

14 minutes ago, matt83 said:

It’s strange how some teams have the Indian sign over others. For inexplicable reasons we can buy a win at Wigan and I think someone said this lot have won once at ewood since 1952 in the league even though played plenty. Maybe it’s just my experience but can’t say we do that much at st Andrews. 

I’ve seen us win there at least 3 times Matt

Agree with the couple of posters who have said that B’ham were a decent side - probably the best I’ve seen at Ewood this season.

If that’s how they consistently play, they’ll have a good season.

The fact that we’ve taken 3 points without playing particularly well - and with a smattering of Academy kids in there - is very encouraging.

Really pleased to see Gally score again. Been saying for a long time, put him centrally and send the ammunition and he’s a 15-20 goal a season striker at this level.

• Like 6

• Backroom
5 minutes ago, Andy said:

Really pleased to see Gally score again. Been saying for a long time, put him centrally and send the ammunition and he’s a 15-20 goal a season striker at this level.

He's definitely playing with confidence at the moment. Showing for the ball, trying to take on players (and sometimes actually succeeding) and getting into decent positions. Very much needed with Diaz struggling today. Interesting how BBD seems to play across the entire frontline now, mind. He was often playing as an AMC with a free role, flitting between both flanks and the centre. Not much came off for him today but he wasn't hiding. Just one of those games. 

• Like 5

7 minutes ago, Andy said:

Agree with the couple of posters who have said that B’ham were a decent side - probably the best I’ve seen at Ewood this season.

If that’s how they consistently play, they’ll have a good season.

The fact that we’ve taken 3 points without playing particularly well - and with a smattering of Academy kids in there - is very encouraging.

Like all strikers, he needs the ball played in front of him. Only the really top level strikers can spin gold from straw. That means we’ve got to get players in up the sides. Todays opening goal was a classic example.

• Like 7

Seeing Gally work like he has this last couple of games makes you wonder wtf the Gurning Chump was doing making him play wide all that time. Crazy! Living proof though that a striker is as much as it is about confidence as it is about capability. 

Thought their goal was a cracker too. Good technique from their man to ram it past Mr Incredible!

Since Gally came back from injury we look stronger..hopefully Smodics, Ayala and Brittain will be back for Saturday.

Wharton scored a great goal and played well. We are really bedding in some youngsters...think Carter is ahead of Phillips and Morton again had a great game. Kaminski MOM. 

We are joint top of the league.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Exiled_Rover said:

Does anyone know why A. Wharton can only last 60 minutes? We're a much worse team when he goes off.

Also interesting to see that Garrett has passed Buckley in the pecking order in midfield...

they want the ball and actively seek it out,after a good spell last season,buckley has been terrible this one,hence his exile from the side,he was particularly bad against reading and sheff utd,we might as well have started with 10 men

• Like 1

Another good, hard earned win. We can’t continue having to soak up so much possession and pressure in the second half of games though. It’s getting to be every game. This young side has a lot to learn about how to slow games down and get possession in areas where we can’t be hurt if we lose the ball. 
At the moment we’re trying to football our way out of our own area, when we’re being pinned back. We’re trying to football our way, everywhere, all the time. We can’t keep doing that and getting away with it. 
Im not sure how the coaches are approaching that side of the game but it’s not right at the moment.

Apart from that, excellent.

• Like 7

39 minutes ago, Shirley Crabtree Wrestler said:

Seeing Gally work like he has this last couple of games makes you wonder wtf the Gurning Chump was doing making him play wide all that time. Crazy! Living proof though that a striker is as much as it is about confidence as it is about capability. 

Thought their goal was a cracker too. Good technique from their man to ram it past Mr Incredible!

It's not that he's playing more central, it's that he's full of confidence and putting himself about that's the difference. He's a very big, athletic CF - he should be a NIGHTMARE for defenders to handle at this level. We're actually finally starting to see signs of it. 

• Like 4

• Backroom
8 minutes ago, den said:

Another good, hard earned win. We can’t continue having to soak up so much possession and pressure in the second half of games though. It’s getting to be every game. This young side has a lot to learn about how to slow games down and get possession in areas where we can’t be hurt if we lose the ball. 
At the moment we’re trying to football our way out of our own area, when we’re being pinned back. We’re trying to football our way, everywhere, all the time. We can’t keep doing that and getting away with it. 
Im not sure how the coaches are approaching that side of the game but it’s not right at the moment.

Apart from that, excellent.

At 2-0 up, I was thinking about THAT Man City game where Derbyshire lost the ball in the corner by shooting instead of shielding in something like the 85th minute, and City turned it around with 2 quick goals.

It's so important to be able to soak up pressure higher up the pitch when you're under the cosh.

Once Kaminski was named MOTM at that corner, I was convinced it would be 2-2!

• Like 3

52 minutes ago, Exiled_Rover said:

Does anyone know why A. Wharton can only last 60 minutes? We're a much worse team when he goes off.

Also interesting to see that Garrett has passed Buckley in the pecking order in midfield...

Probably just getting used to life in the Championship.

Still... A goal from Scott W on Tuesday and a goal from Adam W on Saturday. I'm happy to see their names on the teamsheet. Scott looked like he was playing with a knock today though. I hope he's okay for Hull.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, booth said:

Probably just getting used to life in the Championship.

Still... A goal from Scott W on Tuesday and a goal from Adam W on Saturday. I'm happy to see their names on the teamsheet. Scott looked like he was playing with a knock today though. I hope he's okay for Hull.

Garrett played 90 minutes on Tuesday and like 20 minutes today. Is he that much further along physically?

Not complaining, just find it curious. 

13 minutes ago, Exiled_Rover said:

Garrett played 90 minutes on Tuesday and like 20 minutes today. Is he that much further along physically?

Not complaining, just find it curious. 

When AW played against Blackpool he was brilliant, then in the next match he wasn't. I imagine JDT is just trying to ease him into it to get the most out of him. I'd prefer that approach rather than TM's either not playing young players at all, or making players undroppable.

Edited by booth
  • Like 2

2 hours ago, arbitro said:

I actually thought he was playing with a knock - he seemed to be flexing his right let a lot during stoppages.

He was. You could see from the Riverside quite clearly that he picked up a knock when he was bundled over by a Birmingham player early in the first half. Could see him trying it out loads and he didn't look fully comfortable after that. Fair play to him for battling on.

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, Armchair supporter supremo said:

I think the jan transfer window is going to be our most important one for a long time! If we can strengthen a couple of areas and keep hold of BBD then there's no reason we can't be in with a deadly serious chance of promotion 😬😬😬 

Nope that was January transfer window and the club blew it.

This ends badly around the same time as last season sadly, we simply do not have any strength in depth, it’s 1980’s all over again.

That said we should enjoy the wins, enjoy the emergence of new talent, after all the Premiership is shite anyway, isn’t it…..

Edited by Gav

1 hour ago, Shirley Crabtree Wrestler said:

He seems to be getting in the middle a lot more these days and certainly has a spring in his step both he and Brereton were immense today.

Absolutely knackered the pair of them it's just a pity we lack so much when having to take them off, Hedges too was good but i thought he looked leggy from the off.  No surprise he pulled up.

• Like 3