BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

Rovers…Are We Any Good ?

Just now, roversfan99 said:

Much of my point though was about how it is commonly used (not within football clubs) and how the idea that teams will fall in line with their xG is massively flawed.

I suspect we might listen to the same podcasts. The guy on the Second Tier who every week says something like 'well, the underlying data shows...' like some kind of expert when you know full well he's just looking at xG and using that a proxy for 'who played well'. Very annoying. 

The proof of the pudding is in the eating though, and if a metric doesn't have at least pretty strong relationship with results, then like Joe says, it wouldn't be used in that way. 

Taking a non-football example that I'm more familiar with, you'll often see political commentators & others spend a lot of time discussing perceptions of the party leaders from opinion polls, or the extent to which people think either Labour or the Tories are competent in running the economy. Even though neither of these things properly capture the full range of what people like/dislike about each party, they both correlate very strongly with who people vote for when it comes to election time. 

So it's a pretty useful shortcut, even if not a perfect one. 

34 minutes ago, roversfan99 said:

Much of my point though was about how it is commonly used (not within football clubs) and how the idea that teams will fall in line with their xG is massively flawed.

I think that is very fair. It's getting more commonly used but perhaps not painting a full picture to the fan on the sofa e.g. flashing up as a stat on MOTD