BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

v Cardiff City (h) - 1/1/23

3 hours ago, AllRoverAsia said:

That's all I'm doing too.

We are only still in the top 3 because we won.

Thats where this started, proving as expected the validity of my argument.

Ok, it was "must win" if the goal was to ensure that we stayed in 3rd place after that round of matches. But that counts for nothing in May, as there is no direct season-defining consequence of winning or losing that match alone; it wasn't must win in terms of our overall chances of promotion, which is what counts and which was the context of the discussion being had.

Someone else on here mentioned mental gymnastics... keep on cartwheeling! 😉

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, Atko's Engine said:

Ok, it was "must win" if the goal was to ensure that we stayed in 3rd place after that round of matches. But that counts for nothing in May, as there is no direct season-defining consequence of winning or losing that match alone; it wasn't must win in terms of our overall chances of promotion, which is what counts and which was the context of the discussion being had.

Someone else on here mentioned mental gymnastics... keep on cartwheeling! 😉

You are the one in the gym.

3 points are important at any time of the season and therefore essential to any playoff hopes.

If you can't accept that as a fundamental in season point accrual, well .... I give up.

From dictionary.com:

"Must win - a contest, project, scheme, etc., of which a successful or victorious outcome is essential because anything less would negate all preceding efforts"

You're misunderstanding the concept if you seriously believe that every match we play in a 46 game season is "must win". A failure to beat Cardiff would not have negated all previous efforts.

Was it important? Of course, but "must win" it  absolutely was not.

I suggest you stop tying yourself up in knots to justify the unjustifiable.

• Like 3

16 hours ago, Tom said:

But he should have been sent off and was, we appealed the length of the ban and failed there too

Bucko at fault - move on!

Inconsistency is rife, it’s petty to dwell on decisions though, you also don’t like VAR so it’s something you just need to accept 

I see we’ve now tweeted again ‘how to tackle v how not to tackle’ showing Garretts tackle vs the one on him (no mention of his booking), it’s just weird, if we have an issue it should be taken up via the proper channels not like a moany teenager on twitter looking for likes 

Don’t get your beef

What proper channels do we have regarding the Garrett tackle? As he’s been penalised on the pitch we cannot appeal 

But it does not take a football genius to know that it is a red card, especially in the wake of the red card the game before 

The role of the social media manager is to look for likes. Videos like that do it. I’m more concerned at the inconsistency of officiating than our media team making videos about them. You can scroll past the video - the decisions change games  

• Like 1

On 30/12/2022 at 15:49, JHRover said:

They've allowed a lot worse including not taking opportunities to take retrospective action.

If that is 'violent conduct' we are going to need 2-3 red cards every game. It didn't meet the criteria for violent conduct, IMO, but conveniently there is extremely wide discretion on these things so it means they can accommodate any decision within the rules somewhere.

Had there been VAR it would have been overturned on the pitch. Instead an appeal is upheld. Bollocks