BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

v Cardiff City (h) - 1/1/23

10 hours ago, Atko's Engine said:

(Sorry for the delayed reply, I started writing this at HT and have not had chance since then to finish it until now!)

Come off it, no league game on 2st(!) of Jan is must win.  If we finish 7th then it's an improvement on anything Mowbray achieved in his tenure & in far more difficult circumstances. The brief when he arrived was not to finish top 2 or even top 6, so why is he now being judged against that benchmark? If anything you could argue he's a victim of his own success if this is the sort of OTT reaction that comes from a short run of bad form that sees the top two press ahead whilst we stay at the head of the chasing pack.

It's almost like if he had us 8th or 9th with a record like W11 D5 L8, with the 2 defeats to Burnley & Preston being draws, some people would be happier & calling it a solid start to his tenure. Yet that team would be 4 points worse off than we currently are.

As for Burnley, let's stop obsessing with them for now; for many reasons that are nowt to do with JDT, right now sadly they're in a different league to us in all but name, so let's just focus on us. 

On that point, great result today in difficult circumstances. We were comfortably the better side & could've won it more comprehensively, but a win is a win. Many around me were complaining it was not intensive, entertaining or convincing enough, but in context it was a great result. 3rd game in 7 days, the 2nd of which was with 10 men for a half, on a v leggy pitch with another poor ref against an opponent who, albeit bottom 5, had drawn their last 4 and were technically in better form than us. JDT was urging the players to get out faster towards the end but I don't think they had the legs, so it wasn't a tactic of his to sit so deep I don't think. I was a bit concerned at changing formation when JRC went off but we needed Travis' steel in the middle so when JRC went off there was sense & logic to switching to 3CBs & wingbacks. We lost some momentum but never really looked in trouble.

A good time now to give some rest to Ayala, Gally, BBD, Pickering & Dack, to bring in the Whartons, Edun, Mola, Hirst & Markanday etc. for the cup next weekend. 

Just not Hirst.

2 hours ago, arbitro said:

Garrett has probably made the best two tackles of the season so far (against Sunderland and yesterday) and has only played in a few games. He is still young and learning so we can expect challenges to be wayward at times. I wish we had a squad with the commitment  and wholehearted attitude of Garrett. It's an asset and one which will stand him (and hopefully us) in good stead throughout his career.

A (for the future) midfield of Garrett, Wharton, Buckley

Edited by rigger
  • Like 2

• Herbie6590 changed the title to v Cardiff City (h) - 1/1/23
  • Herbie6590 unpinned this topic
4 hours ago, 47er said:

Very fair and articulate article from the LT here.

Can't disagree with any of it.

https://www.lancashiretelegraph.co.uk/sport/23223021.blackburn-rovers-still-needing-pass-eye-test-2023/

Very good article. 

For what it's worth I thought our long passing has been really good last couple of games. Morton, Buckley, Garett picking up the ball on the half turn and find a crossfield ball or through ball has been really effective. We should stick with it. Also I think Dack has done a better job of dropping in to help the midfield two also which has been crucial.

We've got a great run of games in Jan now to try and put a bit of distance between us and 7th. Feb looks a bit tricky so we want to still be in a good position once we get there. 

• Like 1

8 hours ago, AllRoverAsia said:

If you are happy to wave a white flag then crack on.

You must have been delighted Mowbray threw the L1 title.

Weird behaviour.

In life you take the opportunities if and when they arise and also in football. Take advantage of this being, apart from the top 2, a mediocre standard in the Championship and go for it or someone else will.

Anyway we won this inconsequential game or we would now be 5th and quite possibly out of the playoff positions by the end of today games.

But some it appears are ok with that.

For the record any game at any level is must win or just don't bother.

I see Chaddy liked your post. What a suprise ...... I rest my case

Sorry, no white flag waving here. If I was I wouldn't have bothered going yesterday, unlike many others who seem to me to be the ones waving white flags having surrendered to the belief that there's no hope until JDT is gone.

I wasn't delighted that we didn't win L1, but I was delighted that we got promoted straight away (which we all knew was the objective) & didn't languish there for 2, 3 or 4+ seasons like many other clubs have of similar stature to us.

We're in the top 3 and have been for 2+ months. We're ahead of 2 of the 3 relegated clubs with parachute payments, ahead of more than a dozen city clubs with bigger gates / income than us. To my mind JDT is going for it, whilst managing his limited resources. Whether the club backs him this window we'll see, but if it doesn't that's not his fault.

Who said yesterday's game was inconsequential? Straw man argument there because I didn't. You say every match is must win, sorry that's not true. Every match is could or might win, some are should / expect to win, but only games with critical outcomes arising from their result are truly must wins (cup games, play-offs, the last half dozen games in promotion or relegation battles, or when a loss in that games make something unachievable, like going up or staying up).

No need for the not-so-sly dig at the end either, we're only expressing points of view on a message board, backed up by objective stats. 👍

• Like 3

Interesting to receive the text regarding the survey which I have filled out listing my complaints. Waggott already knows about them as seen commonly in the fans forum minutes, and never previously has done anything, so we will see. At least removes the "email the club" nonsensical counter argument.

Why are the club making silly videos about a red card that cost us points in the last few days? Obviously intended to be funny but seems a little strange.

5 hours ago, rigger said:

A (for the future) midfield of Garrett, Wharton, Buckley

I'd play with that right now. Morton and Travis on bench. That is our future midfield as thing stand, and I'd have all 3 of them ahead of Morton.

• Like 1

• Backroom
2 hours ago, Mattyblue said:

All about the social media ‘impressions’ and ‘reach’. The fella in charge of the ‘socials’ will probably get a bonus if it goes viral.

Can’t be doing with all the ‘WADMIN’ stuff maybe I’m just old! 

6 hours ago, Ossydave said:

Take it a lot of us received this today....hopefully they take some of the feedback on-board 

Screenshot_20230102_100302_Messages.thumb.jpg.64b92f0612898a70531ccfe0df481848.jpg

3) How satisfied were you with the variety of matchday activities?

I’m old. Variety of matchday activities?? Unless having a piss, a pie and wondering if i’ve got a chance with the blond are now ”activities” then i genuinely Don’t know what i’m judging as i go for the football…

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Roverthechimp said:

3) How satisfied were you with the variety of matchday activities?

I’m old. Variety of matchday activities?? Unless having a piss, a pie and wondering if i’ve got a chance with the blond are now ”activities” then i genuinely Don’t know what i’m judging as i go for the football…

'no' to all three 😉

• Like 1

4 hours ago, roversfan99 said:

Interesting to receive the text regarding the survey which I have filled out listing my complaints. Waggott already knows about them as seen commonly in the fans forum minutes, and never previously has done anything, so we will see. At least removes the "email the club" nonsensical counter argument.

Pleased you filled it out. I filled my out and complained about the prices of food and not having different types of food. Also the pies aren't worth the money. 

4 hours ago, roversfan99 said:

Why are the club making silly videos about a red card that cost us points in the last few days? Obviously intended to be funny but seems a little strange.

Highlights the refereeing inconsistence at this level and the fact that Buckley shouldn't have been sent off. 

• Like 1

• Backroom
26 minutes ago, chaddyrovers said:

Pleased you filled it out. I filled my out and complained about the prices of food and not having different types of food. Also the pies aren't worth the money. 

Highlights the refereeing inconsistence at this level and the fact that Buckley shouldn't have been sent off. 

But he should have been sent off and was, we appealed the length of the ban and failed there too

Bucko at fault - move on!

Inconsistency is rife, it’s petty to dwell on decisions though, you also don’t like VAR so it’s something you just need to accept 

I see we’ve now tweeted again ‘how to tackle v how not to tackle’ showing Garretts tackle vs the one on him (no mention of his booking), it’s just weird, if we have an issue it should be taken up via the proper channels not like a moany teenager on twitter looking for likes 

Edited by Tom
  • Like 3

47 minutes ago, Tom said:

But he should have been sent off and was, we appealed the length of the ban and failed there too

Inconsistency is rife, it’s petty to dwell on decisions though, you also don’t like VAR so it’s something you just need to accept 

I wasn't surprised that the FA backed the ref in that situation. It was petty by the ref. Simple as. My viewpoint won't be changing on the Buckley's red card

47 minutes ago, Tom said:

I see we’ve now tweeted again ‘how to tackle v how not to tackle’ showing Garretts tackle vs the one on him (no mention of his booking), it’s just weird, if we have an issue it should be taken up via the proper channels not like a moany teenager on twitter looking for likes 

I have just seen the tweeted and was Garrett's tackle in the same area of Simpson on Garrett. Its the first time I've seen it and its late and dangerous. Garrett yellow card tackle wasn't dangerous

8 hours ago, Tom said:

The whole team has dwelt on that decision - they were clearly pissed off with the officiating on Sunday. The Hedges play action was just the icing on the cake and highlighted the absurdity of the Buckley red card.

At the end of the day that horrendous officiating has cost us three points - if we want to make amusing TikToks about it, so be it. We went through official channels and the EFL closed ranks.  

• Like 2

14 hours ago, Atko's Engine said:

Sorry, no white flag waving here. If I was I wouldn't have bothered going yesterday, unlike many others who seem to me to be the ones waving white flags having surrendered to the belief that there's no hope until JDT is gone.

I wasn't delighted that we didn't win L1, but I was delighted that we got promoted straight away (which we all knew was the objective) & didn't languish there for 2, 3 or 4+ seasons like many other clubs have of similar stature to us.

We're in the top 3 and have been for 2+ months. We're ahead of 2 of the 3 relegated clubs with parachute payments, ahead of more than a dozen city clubs with bigger gates / income than us. To my mind JDT is going for it, whilst managing his limited resources. Whether the club backs him this window we'll see, but if it doesn't that's not his fault.

Who said yesterday's game was inconsequential? Straw man argument there because I didn't. You say every match is must win, sorry that's not true. Every match is could or might win, some are should / expect to win, but only games with critical outcomes arising from their result are truly must wins (cup games, play-offs, the last half dozen games in promotion or relegation battles, or when a loss in that games make something unachievable, like going up or staying up).

No need for the not-so-sly dig at the end either, we're only expressing points of view on a message board, backed up by objective stats. 👍

That's all I'm doing too.

We are only still in the top 3 because we won.

Thats where this started, proving as expected the validity of my argument.

Edited by AllRoverAsia