BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

v Cardiff City (h) - 1/1/23

1 hour ago, roversfan99 said:

I know they did recently during the freezing weather a couple of times but did they during the World Cup?

Either way, you'd be hard pushed to find a pitch as bad as ours in this league, and it's impossible not to point to the owners reneging on the intention to do an overdue, proper relay. 

It's a fair way to sum up how Venkys have run our club since they sadly took it over, we used to win awards for our pitch, now its a right state.

Waggott went to great lengths to explain to people in meetings, how what they did would be fine. As usual the amount spent reflects how it has ended up and is just typical of the attitude from top to bottom. 

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, roversfan99 said:

What is the truth? Fees that nobody knows, and varying opinions of the success or otherwise of those signings. So a mixture of guesswork and opinion.

I am sure that the Lancashire Telegraph had the fees estimated at £1.7m for Szmodics, £1.5m for Hyam and £900k for Brittain, but estimates being the operative word.

The truth is that we didn’t spend £6.5m on Szmodics, Hirst and Brittain. 

• Like 8

1 hour ago, OldEwoodBlue said:

Last 2 games we have appeared to be better. It is unclear yet if that was us being better or the really poor quality of both opponents.

The last 2 games we have also seen Kaminski playing it long instead of that stupid playing from the back, so there have been far less suicidal moments.

At the other end we have still not been able to create many (if any) goalscoring chances and today was really another OG.

However, if we win these next 3 games 1-0 from one chance per game then we will all be happy with that !

Garrett MOM, especially after picking up a yellow after 10 minutes.

Gally completely useless with the ball but then you watch him track back half the pitch to win a tackle and think "that was great". Promptly folllowed by him doing something stupid with the ball. He clearly plays for his workrate but my he is frustrating.

Pitch was disgraceful. Only thing missing was a few mole hills.

Conclusion. 3 points.

Can't see us keep getting away with 1-0 wins hanging on for 30 minutes plus, we need to develop the killer instinct in front of goal and put games beyond doubt. We can forgive them for this one bound to be nervous after losing 3 in a row we've stopped the decline for now. I was willing the ball in the net when Dack was in front of goal with the ball. It will give his confidence a massive boost scoring the winner. Also great to see BBD looking something like his best unlucky not to score.

5 minutes ago, Paul Mani said:

My take on the game..

Back four and keeper Solid. Now a little worried about how serious JRC’s knock is.

Midfield - Garrett’s best performance in a Rovers shirt. Broke the play up and range of passing was very impressive. Morton was decent. Trav tried when he came on but was still a little ineffective and rash for me. Little cameo from A.Wharton was good value. He prob should have had a goal at the end when BBD blazed over.

Forwards - All out of form. Dack the closest to his game, Hedges decent but BBD and Gally look miles off it.

My opinion - if the forwards can get going then we’ll go on a run. We should’ve been 3 up at half time vs Boro and BBD could’ve easily had a hat trick today.

We need to find a solution in midfield and get this front quartet firing! New options in both area would help 👍🏼

A contradiction surely. If BBD should have had a hat-trick then the service to him was fine. The solution is someone who will put the ball in the net between now and May. Exactly the same situation as it was last January. Hopefully a better outcome this year. 

Dack superb, Hyam and Ayala both superb, Garrett good second half but the rest pretty average today, but was enough to win the game. 

Typical new year game of football against a team that played for a draw (even at 1-0 down???). Pleased with the result but we’re starting to look very thin now, let’s get some bodies in the door please Broughton and let’s give the top 6 a go.

Still third in the league!

Just now, RoversTilliDie said:

Can't see us keep getting away with 1-0 wins hanging on for 30 minutes plus, we need to develop the killer instinct in front of goal and put games beyond doubt. We can forgive them for this one bound to be nervous after losing 3 in a row we've stopped the decline for now. I was willing the ball in the net when Dack was in front of goal with the ball. It will give his confidence a massive boost scoring the winner. Also great to see BBD looking something like his best unlucky not to score.

All the forwards are out of touch. Iv watched a couple of games on the Tv over the last week or two and it’s less obvious until you see them live.

Today I say the front four trying desperately to spark…Dack was slightly off the pace at times but played some nice passes which weren’t picked up by Gally and BBD who are not making the movement at the right times. The decision making in the final third is absolutely atrocious. They need to play themselves back into form asap and get some fresh blood in there. Dack at full flow would really help as he is the glue and can feed team with assists too…🙏🏽

5 minutes ago, Sweaty Gussets said:

A contradiction surely. If BBD should have had a hat-trick then the service to him was fine. The solution is someone who will put the ball in the net between now and May. Exactly the same situation as it was last January. Hopefully a better outcome this year. 

Yeah, sorry….I meant we need to find a combination in midfield that works consistently. But the big challenge is to get the front players firing!! 💪🏽

• Like 1

We don't play as if much emphasis is put in training on combinations and patterns of play in attacking areas. Dack has intelligence beyond any of our other attackers and often initiates one twos and flicks around the corner but otherwise it is all lacking in ideas.

Contrast that to (usually, the last 2 defeats aside) when we don't have possession, we appear well drilled and like the players are comfortable in terms of knowing what they are doing.

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, Paul Mani said:

My take on the game..

Back four and keeper Solid. Now a little worried about how serious JRC’s knock is.

Midfield - Garrett’s best performance in a Rovers shirt. Broke the play up and range of passing was very impressive. Morton was decent. Trav tried when he came on but was still a little ineffective and rash for me. Little cameo from A.Wharton was good value. He prob should have had a goal at the end when BBD blazed over.

Forwards - All out of form. Dack the closest to his game, Hedges decent but BBD and Gally look miles off it.

My opinion - if the forwards can get going then we’ll go on a run. We should’ve been 3 up at half time vs Boro and BBD could’ve easily had a hat trick today.

We need to find a solution in midfield and get this front quartet firing! New options in both area would help 👍🏼

Looked like a Glute strain the JRC injury, if so at least a few weeks out. 

2 minutes ago, simongarnerisgod said:

garrett had a fine game today,he looks to have a bright future,i just do not like this team shape however,it fails to get the best out of anybody,far to many passes,not enough width and does`nt really create much,maybe when jdt gets his own players in it will get better,we are hard watch at the moment

That’s the big thing for me too. Wait until he has his own players before I judge too much. He’s been left with some absolute filth and we can’t play direct as we don’t have a striker at the club who has a first touch! Gallaghers second touch is a header.

We could have won this by half-time - at a stroll.

Three games in quick succession, a heavy pitch and 12noon kick off didn't help much today.  The atmosphere was flat and they didn't have any brown sauce.

That said we defended well, kept the ball better than we have done and we were quicker to the tackle than Cardiff.  I didn't really get this boring tag - I had to move today because some fall was moaning when we were playing it around the back trying to create space.

As already said we need a goalscorer more than anything - or a change of fortune for our front players, and a maybe a ball-winner in midfield.

No wine today, I've had my fill.

• Like 2

42 minutes ago, simongarnerisgod said:

garrett had a fine game today,he looks to have a bright future,i just do not like this team shape however,it fails to get the best out of anybody,far to many passes,not enough width and does`nt really create much,maybe when jdt gets his own players in it will get better,we are hard watch at the moment

Important point.

At the moment, JDT is using what he has available to him, to accumulate as many points as he can. It's not always pretty, but we're very organised at the back, which is always the ideal starting position for any new coaching team (start with the defence and build forward).

And, as we're sitting pretty comfortably 3rd (and have been for a while), it's hard to argue that it's not effective.

He's said all along, judge him after 3 transfer windows. We're just starting the second of those now and if we can get more 'Hyams' in, I'm looking forward to seeing how we develop.

But patience is key. I'm still absolutely flabbergasted by anyone genuinely shouting for JDT to go after a few months; I can not see any logic in tearing up the last few months, all of the future plans and starting again with an unknown. Madness.

Edited by Andy
  • Like 8

Obviously Tomasson deserves to continue, it is a crazy view of a very small minority who would actively want him sacked with us 3rd in the league.

But I don't totally take in the view point that Tomasson has been dealt with a really bad hand, I appreciate that the window was particularly difficult due to the timing of the appointment, and that also Tomasson may have not had full/final say on incomings, but we have had one window nonetheless. You look at the squad today, again Brittain was injured and both Hirst and Mola cannot make the bench even when the squad is looking thin.

I think Tomasson seems to put a lot of emphasis into organisation off the ball, which of course is a positive. We have a healthy number of clean sheets although we have also conceded more than a number of teams in the bottom half, which shows that it is somewhat feast or famine.

• Moderation Lead
23 minutes ago, Andy said:

Important point.

At the moment, JDT is using what he has available to him, to accumulate as many points as he can. It's not always pretty, but we're very organised at the back, which is always the ideal starting position for any new coaching team (start with the defence and build forward).

And, as we're sitting pretty comfortably 3rd (and have been for a while), it's hard to argue that it's not effective.

He's said all along, judge him after 3 transfer windows. We're just starting the second of those now and if we can get more 'Hyams' in, I'm looking forward to seeing how we develop.

But patience is key. I'm still absolutely flabbergasted by anyone genuinely shouting for JDT to go after a few months; I can not see any logic in tearing up the last few months, all of the future plans and starting again with an unknown. Madness.

JDT has been in football long enough to know that you are judged on the here and now, as things happen. Otherwise, message boards, highlights shows and social media pages would be completely pointless.

I’m buzzing that we are third and certainly don’t want the manager sacked, but I really don’t like his dampening down of expectation that has happened and JDT harking back to the project when things go pear shaped. We must be the only club in the world that wants to get promoted in our own time, rather than ASAP.

It’s not that deep, some people just have different opinions. You’ve got to remember too, message boards can be very reactive and emotional, particularly immediately after poor defeats.

• Like 7

1 hour ago, Sweaty Gussets said:

I think the player most likely to find the killer ball to him, was suspended today. I think Adam Wharton is now a must. A bit of flair in the middle will make all the difference and he is our man.

Hopefully he has now paid the price for any spat with the manager and he is given a run of games.

he is far too good to be wasted. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Mellor Rover said:

That’s the big thing for me too. Wait until he has his own players before I judge too much. He’s been left with some absolute filth and we can’t play direct as we don’t have a striker at the club who has a first touch! Gallaghers second touch is a header.

Gallaghers second touch, is normally a tackle.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Paul Mellelieu said:

We could have won this by half-time - at a stroll.

I’m really pleased with a win however it came about. But don’t talk shite. Whilst we had more of that play and the better positions, they had as many chances as we did in that first half. 

Us grinding that out by a solitary goal was about the right result.

Edited by Hasta
  • Like 1

14 minutes ago, lraC said:

Gallaghers second touch, is normally a tackle.

“He couldn't trap a sandbag”, as one former England captain once remarked to me about Nathan Blake.

But on Gally, my god he puts a shift in every game, defends like a man possessed, but yes he’s paid to score goals and doesn’t get enough.

I pay to watch players give 110% every game, Gally does that, I’ve no complaints.  

Edited by Gav
  • Like 6

12 minutes ago, Gav said:

“He couldn't trap a sandbag”, as one former England captain once remarked to me about Nathan Blake.

But on Gally, my god he puts a shift in every game, defends like a man possessed, but yes he’s paid to score goals and doesn’t get enough.

I pay to watch players give 110% every game, Gally does that, I’ve no complaints.  

I agree he puts in a shift, but when putting pressure on opposition defenders / keepers far too often he pulls up instead of turning on the after-burners (a la Dolan) and chasing down the ball. I like the lad, but goodness me, he could definitely afford to adopt a nasty streak whilst on the pitch, rather than being so nicey nicey. What I don't like about Gally is he doesn't appear desperate to score goals - give me a player like Adam Armstrong any day, even if the majority of his efforts come to nothing, at least you know he wants to score.

Can he change at this stage of his career? Of course, yes - perhaps if he was paired with an old head who is used to being a battering ram, rather than another nice lad like Diaz. 

Today's game was unremarkable in many respects, and other than grinding out an ugly win to gain us 3 points, there was little of any merit. Our defenders did their job. The midfield just about did their job. Strikers appeared to be on strike (again) - how ruddy topical 😞

Millwall, Luton and Sunderland all in sniffing distance now (Millwall can leapfrog us if they win their game in hand. Bugger.