BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

Priorities for the summer

I’d like a striker who’s first and foremost quality is the ability to finish the majority of opportunities. Hard working, quick, strong, good in the air, good XG, locality — all comes second downwards on the priority list. 

• Like 5

2 hours ago, J*B said:

I’d like a striker who’s first and foremost quality is the ability to finish the majority of opportunities. Hard working, quick, strong, good in the air, good XG, locality — all comes second downwards on the priority list. 

xG differentials are the most direct metric available as a scouting function to search for strikers who are first and foremost high quality finishers of opportunities.

1 minute ago, JoeH said:

xG differentials are the most direct metric available as a scouting function to search for strikers who are first and foremost high quality finishers of opportunities.

Are these stats ‘segmented’ (can’t think of a better word) into how difficult the chances were?

5 minutes ago, JoeH said:

I’m sure you’re right but my preference would be for our Champions League winning striker to watch the options and decide who’s best based on his eyes. 

• Like 1

Just now, J*B said:

I’m sure you’re right but my preference would be for our Champions League winning striker to watch the options and decide who’s best based on his eyes. 

This quite obviously happens, and isn't exclusive from using data within a recruitment structure.

3 minutes ago, wilsdenrover said:

Are these stats ‘segmented’ (can’t think of a better word) into how difficult the chances were?

That's the whole point of the data science. It takes the difficulty of the shot, the outcome of the shot and provides you with the difference. Penalties for example have an xG of 0.77 out of a possible 1.

7 minutes ago, JoeH said:

That's the whole point of the data science. It takes the difficulty of the shot, the outcome of the shot and provides you with the difference. Penalties for example have an xG of 0.77 out of a possible 1.

Thank you - it’s something I know nothing about

Is the data also divided (thanks rigger) into types of chance (eg header, one on one, inside box)?

Edited by wilsdenrover

12 minutes ago, wilsdenrover said:

Thank you - it’s something I know nothing about

Is the data also divided (thanks rigger) into types of chance (eg header, one on one, inside box)?

Shot types are taken into account in models now yeah. It's not perfect and new models come out all the time attempting to be better than the last, but as an initial screening tool it pretty much gives you a very strong rough idea of who can finish and who can't. Then you can go look at the ones the data says are at least half decent.

1 minute ago, JoeH said:

Shot types are taken into account in models now yeah. It's not perfect and new models come out all the time attempting to be better than the last, but as an initial screening tool it pretty much gives you a very strong rough idea of who can finish and who can't. Then you can go look at the ones the data says are at least half decent.

Thanks again for explaining it to me 

https://www.lancashiretelegraph.co.uk/sport/23399904.lewis-obrien-secures-mls-loan-failed-blackburn-rovers-move/

Be curious to know if this option to buy deal is for the same amount that we we had in place! 10 million upfront did seems a bit ott considering he wasn't deemed good enough to play for forest in the prem, still love it if we went back in for him in the summer though!

Edited by Armchair supporter supremo

priority 1 is to keep JDT at the Club regardless of what happens over the next 9-12 games.

After 3-4 years of treading water and listening to Mowbray's drivel it is fantastic to dream and have an ambitious manager in the dugout delivering the results.

Priority 2 is to equip him with the resources to keep us moving forwards.

Unfortunately we have Venkys and Waggott running the show here and as the January window proved they can torpedo even the must simple and basic of good things so my expectation is they muck him around again and he's gone before next season kicks off. 

• Like 6

Priorites for summer, a recruiting team who can identify talent early, dedicated officials who can complete the formalities in time and owners who will sanction the transfers and pay the required wages.

Oh---and a sensible ticketing strategy!

All that and we would soar.

• Like 1