BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

Priorities for the summer

42 minutes ago, chaddyrovers said:

I wouldn't be selling Buckley at all. Him and Travis have been good overall since coming back into the team after being dropped for a number of games

That may be true, but if we have any aspirations then we need to be looking at getting in better replacements. Overall, Buckley has had a disappointing season. His earlier performances were absolutely terrible.

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, roversfan99 said:

I would definitely say that Buckley has had a poor season. I think he is hindered playing deeper as much as he obviously has ability and has put in the occasional good display.

Why do you not think the deeper midfielder role is right for him? Where would you play him then? 

15 minutes ago, chaddyrovers said:

Why do you not think the deeper midfielder role is right for him? Where would you play him then? 

Because he has for the most part played at a much lower standard there this season. He struggles with taking the ball in dangerous areas nearer to his own goal without dawdling. He also is good at winning the ball high up, which playing deeper means he rarely now does.

He is better further forward but we are already well stocked there and very short deeper. We needed a competent midfielder in the summer and then in the winter and Broughton and co messed up by firstly considering Buckley as a deeper midfielder, then signing Morton who isnt very good, then fucking up the O'Brien deal.

• Like 2

Buckley has natural talent though. I wouldn't be getting rid. He has been disappointing on the whole but a more than  fair chance he'll come good.

Playing alongside Travis and O'Brien might well have brought out the best in him in a central midfield of 3 where his responsibilities were more creative and less defensive.

That's a priority for next season.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, 47er said:

Buckley has natural talent though. I wouldn't be getting rid. He has been disappointing on the whole but a more than  fair chance he'll come good.

Playing alongside Travis and O'Brien might well have brought out the best in him in a central midfield of 3 where his responsibilities were more creative and less defensive.

That's a priority for next season.

I tend to agree but equally I think JDT is pretty wedded to two isolated CMs and the front four pushed up. And I can see why as if you get it right it is devastating. That said it puts a huge strain on those two centre mids (and the CBs behind them) to be good on the ball, find the right pass and be effective in the tackle and cover. Can Buckley, Travis and Wharton do it consistently? Jurys still out for me. Its a big ask. Feels like Buckley and Wharton aren't quite athletic enough and Travis maybe lacks the quality on the ball. But I am at least impressed that JDT asks the question and pushes the team out of the comfort zone.

Edited by joey_big_nose

7 hours ago, joey_big_nose said:

I tend to agree but equally I think JDT is pretty wedded to two isolated CMs and the front four pushed up. And I can see why as if you get it right it is devastating. That said it puts a huge strain on those two centre mids (and the CBs behind them) to be good on the ball, find the right pass and be effective in the tackle and cover. Can Buckley, Travis and Wharton do it consistently? Jurys still out for me. Its a big ask. Feels like Buckley and Wharton aren't quite athletic enough and Travis maybe lacks the quality on the ball. But I am at least impressed that JDT asks the question and pushes the team out of the comfort zone.

I don't think we have 2 who are good enough to play that role. Again, its a case of making the best of what you have as against having a plan and trying to fit the players into it.

16 hours ago, roversfan99 said:

Because he has for the most part played at a much lower standard there this season. He struggles with taking the ball in dangerous areas nearer to his own goal without dawdling. He also is good at winning the ball high up, which playing deeper means he rarely now does.

He is better further forward but we are already well stocked there and very short deeper.

I think playing the deep midfield playmaker is right role for him in this team with Travis next to him. 

Unless Dack goes in the summer I can not seen him playing that high up in the 10 role again

16 hours ago, roversfan99 said:

We needed a competent midfielder in the summer and then in the winter and Broughton and co messed up by firstly considering Buckley as a deeper midfielder, then signing Morton who isnt very good, then fucking up the O'Brien deal.

I think Morton has been goodish overall this season but recently had a number of poor games and rightly dropped by JDT. 

O'Brien deal was mess up by our admin team(Not GB or recruitment team) 

It will be interesting to see if we sign a midfielder this summer and whether Adam Wharton and Jake Garrett will play more next season

1 hour ago, chaddyrovers said:

I think playing the deep midfield playmaker is right role for him in this team with Travis next to him. 

Unless Dack goes in the summer I can not seen him playing that high up in the 10 role again

I think Morton has been goodish overall this season but recently had a number of poor games and rightly dropped by JDT. 

O'Brien deal was mess up by our admin team(Not GB or recruitment team) 

It will be interesting to see if we sign a midfielder this summer and whether Adam Wharton and Jake Garrett will play more next season

That deeper role being the right one for Buckley hasn't played out in the performances this season. I dont think he will go back to playing further forward and I am not saying he would start there

We need to bring in a couple of midfielders in the summer. Loan Garrett out, have Wharton in our first team and bring in more experience there.

1 hour ago, roversfan99 said:

That deeper role being the right one for Buckley hasn't played out in the performances this season. I dont think he will go back to playing further forward and I am not saying he would start there

We need to bring in a couple of midfielders in the summer. Loan Garrett out, have Wharton in our first team and bring in more experience there.

I can deffo understand bringing in 1 but no reason to loaned Garrett who has shown he can complete and play at this level. 

We need to sort out this Adam Wharton situation aswell

1 hour ago, chaddyrovers said:

I can deffo understand bringing in 1 but no reason to loaned Garrett who has shown he can complete and play at this level. 

We need to sort out this Adam Wharton situation aswell

Morton is going back and even with him we wanted O'Brien and left ourselves short by fucking that up so surely scope for 2. It has been a problem position this season so I hope its not just left to the kids who havent been trusted yet to play week in week out there to pick up the additional slack.

• Like 1

14 hours ago, roversfan99 said:

Morton is going back and even with him we wanted O'Brien and left ourselves short by fucking that up so surely scope for 2. It has been a problem position this season so I hope its not just left to the kids who havent been trusted yet to play week in week out there to pick up the additional slack.

I think us wanting O'Brien was that given the quality player he is you would improve this squad and given the Adam Wharton situation make us want to sign O'Brien. 

I get very annoyed when you using this kids term. They aren't kids at all, They are proffessional footballers who are start of their careers but good enough to play in this squad in the championship. 

More important we need to sort out this Adam Wharton situation. 

I would be signing 1 player for midfield if we still in Championship next season

11 hours ago, chaddyrovers said:

I think us wanting O'Brien was that given the quality player he is you would improve this squad and given the Adam Wharton situation make us want to sign O'Brien. 

I get very annoyed when you using this kids term. They aren't kids at all, They are proffessional footballers who are start of their careers but good enough to play in this squad in the championship. 

More important we need to sort out this Adam Wharton situation. 

I would be signing 1 player for midfield if we still in Championship next season

I dunno they could be kids, the government did discuss increasing the age of adolescene to 24 😂😂

MINIMUM requirement in the summer.  A forward who is actually decent that can hold up the ball, is mobile. A midfielder that isn't a Nancy boy who has affect on games rather than pointless sideways passes. We need to push the boat out in these two positions.  I want Gallagher sold.  Never want to see Morton again.  If we address these issues then we will have a very good team

• Like 3

13 minutes ago, roverandout said:

MINIMUM requirement in the summer.  A forward who is actually decent that can hold up the ball, is mobile. A midfielder that isn't a Nancy boy who has affect on games rather than pointless sideways passes. We need to push the boat out in these two positions.  I want Gallagher sold.  Never want to see Morton again.  If we address these issues then we will have a very good team

I agree on those two improvements - plus replacing Brereton and replacing/signing Thomas 

• Like 1