BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

Priorities for the summer

8 minutes ago, roversfan99 said:

Seems a bit far fetched to try and pin everything on Waggott. It was claimed that they refused to spend, its hardly unbelievable from those chancers.

And even if it is a case of Waggott manipulating them, they are just as much to blame for being so out of it not to notice.

I think the context of the size of Venkys is important, what are we - one of 156 businesses they run? How much time and resource are they putting into understanding Rovers? I don’t think they’re being manipulated, I just suspect they have at most a touch-point input into the club… What is the cost? What are the problems? What do we need to do to fix the problems?

• Like 2

24 minutes ago, J*B said:

I think the context of the size of Venkys is important, what are we - one of 156 businesses they run? How much time and resource are they putting into understanding Rovers? I don’t think they’re being manipulated, I just suspect they have at most a touch-point input into the club… What is the cost? What are the problems? What do we need to do to fix the problems?

Still doesn't excuse them being so detached, if they don't have the time for us, do everyone a favour and sell us.

I don't know why it isn't as simple as the owners simply not footing the bill. There have been lots of occasions throughout the 12 years that they have suddenly stopped funding.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, J*B said:

That isn’t the issue in my opinion, the issue is Waggott will have told them “I will ensure this club doesn’t cost you more than X per year” and that’s the budget everyone is working towards. Venkys will have:

1) No idea the pitch needs replacing

2) No idea how much it costs

3) No idea they can do it without breaking FFP

If this is what is occurring down at Ewood then it is grossly incompetent from Waggott

He should be advising them of the rules of FFP and of the cost and requirements of facility maintenance. But I don’t need to tell anyone that…

It also begs the question about Pasha. If he’s their “man on the ground” then what is he doing? 

The cost of a pitch like Leicester’s is a drop in the ocean to the Venky empire. Yet it would go a long, long way to restoring some relationship with the fans 

The issue is unlikely to be Venkys refusing to pay for a pitch.

Think more about a decision regarding upkeep and a suggestion that the budget for that be raised by a factor of 100

That would probably cost Waggot his job. Much better to say a request has been made that he refused and saved them x millions 

Good boy - pat on head and owners feel good that somebody is looking after their pennies…

Well we will be better off than we was last June/July, the squad as it stands will be 

goalkeepers: kaminski, pears, Hilton 

centre backs: hyam, Wharton, Carter, Phillips, Barnes 

right backs: JRC, Brittain, brown

left backs: Pickering, batty

Midfield: travis, Buckley, Garrett, Edun, Wharton, szmodics, dack,

wingers: Dolan, Markanday, hedges

strikers: Gallagher, vale, leanord 

hard to say right now cause we don’t know the division but assuming we will still be at this level we need comp/cover at left back, midfield needs bulking up and a couple wingers and a striker. Centre backs we are okay on with a lot of potential, Ayala as solid as he is on his day will be gone as he’s out of contract on big wages but hyam is solid and Carter is coming into his game, Wharton is of course decent and Phillips will soon be class so I don’t think k defence needs recruitment. diaz is off unless promoted. Either way vale and Edun are deadwood and need moving on.

worth noting two of mowbrays back room are out of contract (lowe and benson) so jdt will no doubt look to step up his ways on the club and install his own coaches to replace them

Edited by TheRovers1994
  • Like 1

Is that stronger? Losing our main asset (down to Venkys) and also our most experienced defender, adding Hyam, Brittain and Szmodics. Definitely not from a value perspective, maybe from losing 2 and gaining 3 although the most difficult to replace of the 5 (as much as I rate Hyam and appreciate that Brereton has been out of form) is Brereton.

7 minutes ago, roversfan99 said:

Is that stronger? Losing our main asset (down to Venkys) and also our most experienced defender, adding Hyam, Brittain and Szmodics. Definitely not from a value perspective, maybe from losing 2 and gaining 3 although the most difficult to replace of the 5 (as much as I rate Hyam and appreciate that Brereton has been out of form) is Brereton.

I guess you can add the emergence of Carter and the resurgence of JRC.

Possibly also the confidence that A Wharton and Garrett are good enough for this level.

3 minutes ago, wilsdenrover said:

I guess you can add the emergence of Carter and the resurgence of JRC.

Possibly also the confidence that A Wharton and Garrett are good enough for this level.

Im certainly not convinced by Garrett at this level yet. Wharton I really rate but I dont think that Tomasson is his biggest fan. The other 2 have definitely improved although all 4 I guess were here last summer. Rankin Costello's recent form has been remarkable, for example with Brereton who went from awful to being key, there was that year inbetween of significant improvement. With Rankin Costello it has been so sudden.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, roversfan99 said:

Im certainly not convinced by Garrett at this level yet. Wharton I really rate but I dont think that Tomasson is his biggest fan. The other 2 have definitely improved although all 4 I guess were here last summer. Rankin Costello's recent form has been remarkable, for example with Brereton who went from awful to being key, there was that year inbetween of significant improvement. With Rankin Costello it has been so sudden.

I guess the point I was trying to make was that some of the players are the same but their ‘ability to contribute’ (perceived or actual) has increased.

By the way, I agree that the squad JDT inherited was stronger than the one TM inherited.

I suppose the frustration is it could have been even stronger  - but maybe we’d always feel that way 

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Upside Down said:

First priority will be a new manager.

I can't see JDT sticking around with this shit show after the whole O'Brien debacle.

I don't think you are giving JDT enough credit.Is he frustrated about this whole thing?More than likely sure. But that doesn't mean he is gonna say piss on it and abandon the project he has going here, he has more fortitude than that imo.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Officer Barbrady said:

I don't think you are giving JDT enough credit.Is he frustrated about this whole thing?More than likely sure. But that doesn't mean he is gonna say piss on it and abandon the project he has going here, he has more fortitude than that imo.

He very publicly changed agent after the fiasco. If that isn't sending up a flag I don't know what is.

Who could blame him really? Would you want to work for an outfit like rovers? Imagine working at a place where swag was the boss.

6 hours ago, Upside Down said:

He very publicly changed agent after the fiasco. If that isn't sending up a flag I don't know what is.

Who could blame him really? Would you want to work for an outfit like rovers? Imagine working at a place where swag was the boss.

It could just be a coincidence. 

The topic is priorities for the summer and, so far as as I'm concerned they haven't changed---a central striker (or 2 if BDD goes) and a central mid-fielder the likes of O'Brien.

I wouldn't mind keeping Thomas on the basis of what we've seen so far. Anything else is a bonus.

I don't want us failing to get our key targets  and then signing players for other positions as a sop for the fans.

Given that the Wharton's, Carter, JRC and all the rest will be one year older with valuable experience, I think we would have a very good season.

PS I'm assuming we're in the Championship next year but if we're not, its a totally different situation. How the Club would handle that is the stuff of nightmares!

• Like 1

19 hours ago, roversfan99 said:

Why aren't you convince by Garrett? 

JRC has upped his form and game to improve. Is that down to talks with JDT about his future? 

11 hours ago, roverandout said:

Let's see if he's backed in the summer before we judge whether he sticks around.  My gut feeling though Is not

He was backed last summer with signings and I would expect similar spend again

As well as incomings, I'll be intrigued to see if we actually sell anyone. To succeed, we need to get better at it as you'd expect it would give JDT and Broughton a wider pool of players to look at (although I doubt they'd get to use any money brought in).

Same applies with the academy products. If we have genuine aspirations to be in the Premier League then not every player we're bringing through will have the ability to play at that level.

This is on the proviso that JDT can use the proceeds.

Edited by TugaysMarlboro

3 hours ago, chaddyrovers said:

Why aren't you convince by Garrett? 

JRC has upped his form and game to improve. Is that down to talks with JDT about his future? 

He was backed last summer with signings and I would expect similar spend again

He was backed with a few duds

15 hours ago, roverandout said:

Let's see if he's backed in the summer before we judge whether he sticks around.  My gut feeling though Is not

I do think this summer is massive, for both GB and JDT; we can't have another January.

I've said before, but we seem to be fishing in the right ponds (Anel / Cantwell / Hyam / O'Brien / etc), so we have to land a few this summer.

Obviously the league we're in will dictate our draw, but it really is a pivotal summer.

• Like 3

11 hours ago, Andy said:

I do think this summer is massive, for both GB and JDT; we can't have another January.

I've said before, but we seem to be fishing in the right ponds (Anel / Cantwell / Hyam / O'Brien / etc), so we have to land a few this summer.

Obviously the league we're in will dictate our draw, but it really is a pivotal summer.

I agree with that but how on earth did George Hirst end up in that pond…