BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

Priorities for the summer

Sell Vale + Gallagher and then bring in 2 strikers (one must be an experienced player, the other can be a youngster if that's what they want)

Send back morton and mola and block Liverpools number ha! Bring in a CM

Loan out phillips and bring in an experienced CB (dream would be JpvH)

Bring in a LB for competition or to take over for Pickering. (Someone mentioned manning from Swansea, he would be a class signing)

Job done no?

• Like 3

10 minutes ago, ItsRoverZ said:

Sell Vale + Gallagher and then bring in 2 strikers (one must be an experienced player, the other can be a youngster if that's what they want)

Send back morton and mola and block Liverpools number ha! Bring in a CM

Bring in a LB for competition or to take over for Pickering. (Someone mentioned manning from Swansea, he would be a class signing)

Job done no?

That all sounds good but I do think we need an ‘all action’ midfielder as well

• Like 1

I think this summer's window is huge for GB; he just about got a pass in his first window (thanks to Hyam and Brittain), but the January window was an unmitigated disaster.

I'm sure JDT will have made it clear that he needs to be supported with good quality new additions and whilst we're fishing in the right ponds (Ahmedodzic / Hyam / O'Brien / Cantwell), we have to do whatever possible to land a few in the summer.

GK: With Pears' recent form, I think we have 2 very good Championship GKs, so no priority here.

DF: Similarly, with JRC and Carter's form in recent months - as well as Phillips coming through the ranks - I don't we're pretty well stocked here, too.

MF: Central mid being the glaring area for improvement, even if Trav has shown that he's up for filling the O'Brien-sized gap in the last few games. We need an experienced head, someone to dominate a midfield battle and take control of games. Good luck finding one within our budget.

ST: The other glaring gap in the squad, as everybody here knows. We had targets in January, most of whom were unknowns to most of us, but we simply cannot fail in this area in the summer. I'd prefer us to keep BBD as a wide striker, if possible and Dolan's progression is going well, but we need somebody to lead the line. A Danny Graham type, or even a Jordan Rhodes to be a fox in the box. Whichever way, GB and his team can not fail in this area in the summer.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Andy said:

I think this summer's window is huge for GB; he just about got a pass in his first window (thanks to Hyam and Brittain), but the January window was an unmitigated disaster.

I'm sure JDT will have made it clear that he needs to be supported with good quality new additions and whilst we're fishing in the right ponds (Ahmedodzic / Hyam / O'Brien / Cantwell), we have to do whatever possible to land a few in the summer.

GK: With Pears' recent form, I think we have 2 very good Championship GKs, so no priority here.

DF: Similarly, with JRC and Carter's form in recent months - as well as Phillips coming through the ranks - I don't we're pretty well stocked here, too.

MF: Central mid being the glaring area for improvement, even if Trav has shown that he's up for filling the O'Brien-sized gap in the last few games. We need an experienced head, someone to dominate a midfield battle and take control of games. Good luck finding one within our budget.

ST: The other glaring gap in the squad, as everybody here knows. We had targets in January, most of whom were unknowns to most of us, but we simply cannot fail in this area in the summer. I'd prefer us to keep BBD as a wide striker, if possible and Dolan's progression is going well, but we need somebody to lead the line. A Danny Graham type, or even a Jordan Rhodes to be a fox in the box. Whichever way, GB and his team can not fail in this area in the summer.

I broadly agree with this. We should replace Morton who is way too similar to Buckley and Wharton with an (ideally perm) more experienced and physical midfielder. Dack I think will leave, but we will replace him with a forward I think rather than a midfielder.

Up front in where all the action is - we should try and sign Thomas or another wide player, replace BBD if he goes, and we absolutely have to sign two central strikers with good goal scoring records. One target man Graham/Gestede type and one all rounder. We should let Vale and Dack go (unless he wants to sign pay as you play). If we can persuade someone to pay a decent fee for Gallagher then that would mean we could get a third striker in.

We do that and we are good value for a playoff finish. Add all that up and it's signing potentially five good forwards which does feel incredibly optimistic. Dare I say unrealistic. So I suppose in light of that convincing BBD to stay another year, and holding onto Gallagher, and signing three forwards could be the route to go.

2 hours ago, joey_big_nose said:

I broadly agree with this. We should replace Morton who is way too similar to Buckley and Wharton with an (ideally perm) more experienced and physical midfielder. Dack I think will leave, but we will replace him with a forward I think rather than a midfielder.

Up front in where all the action is - we should try and sign Thomas or another wide player, replace BBD if he goes, and we absolutely have to sign two central strikers with good goal scoring records. One target man Graham/Gestede type and one all rounder. We should let Vale and Dack go (unless he wants to sign pay as you play). If we can persuade someone to pay a decent fee for Gallagher then that would mean we could get a third striker in.

We do that and we are good value for a playoff finish. Add all that up and it's signing potentially five good forwards which does feel incredibly optimistic. Dare I say unrealistic. So I suppose in light of that convincing BBD to stay another year, and holding onto Gallagher, and signing three forwards could be the route to go.

I don't see why we would not keep Dack, he is still so important. He is our most dangerous attacking option contracted into next season (if we activate his option) and he has been back to his old self. He is better than Szmodics, he offers goals and he also offers leadership. For an attack that already will require major work, why would we create more for ourselves?

• Like 2

6 hours ago, roversfan99 said:

I don't see why we would not keep Dack, he is still so important. He is our most dangerous attacking option contracted into next season (if we activate his option) and he has been back to his old self. He is better than Szmodics, he offers goals and he also offers leadership. For an attack that already will require major work, why would we create more for ourselves?

I think club just wont see the value in extending him on current terms with his injury record. I might be wrong, but with the club keen to trim costs, and needing to create budget for a quality striker that seems where we are heading.

If we can reduce terms to something more like pay as you play he could end up staying, but thats always a tough negotiation.

On 25/02/2023 at 13:48, ItsRoverZ said:

It appears JPvH never did sign that contract extension with Brighton in January so his deal is up at the end of the season. Though the offer is still on the table and they'd like him to stay.

Wise from him in my opinion. He's given it 6 more months to try and break into their team, which it appears isn't going to happen. If we were to let Ayala go, bring in JPvH and loan out Phillips we'd be very well stocked at CB. 

Hyam, JPvH, Carter and Wharton. That's a beastly bunch of centre backs. With Brittain and JRC either side and Pickering as cover it's the best defense we'd have had in a decade.