BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

Andy Cole Appreciation Thread

36 minutes ago, SuperBrfc said:

All of Cole's goals for Rovers in one video. Brilliant. I had forgotten about the goal away at Pompey. Goal 31. The skill to nutmeg the defender and a drilled finish. That's in my top 3.

I’d love him in our current line up -  and that’s despite him being 51 and having health problems…

• Like 1

8 hours ago, SuperBrfc said:

Even now, he'd bury the chances that our £5m striker gallantly makes a mess of.

I think the most impressive thing about the goals he scored for us was how many different ‘types’ there were.

His movement was in a different class as well 

Edited by wilsdenrover
  • Like 2

I'll never forget the day we signed him, we were sat in the old Mill Bar in Albion Mill after a home game, we all sat there stunned, couldn't believe it.

He's gone down in Rovers folklore for that goal at Cardiff, but he did much more in blue n white, great memories. 

Edited by Gav
  • Like 5

On 13/04/2023 at 22:54, SuperBrfc said:

Good interview with Coley here, if anybody is interested. It's with a United fan channel so it is mainly about his time there.

However, he does tell the Waggott story at 36:15 for a couple of minutes up until around 39:45.

He also briefly talks about Rovers towards the end at around 1:30:36, with some nice words about the club and John Williams.

And to think that very same rogue agent/conman became our ceo. That’s his greatest skill he’s a fraudster who has been rumbled a few times yet keeps grifting. Such a slimy world. Paul Elliot tries to con cole, swag cons both Elliot and cole, Ruel fox cons swag who’s presumably trying to con him. Years later some of the dumbest owners in football give him the keys to the kingdom. 

• Like 4

12 hours ago, SuperBrfc said:

Yeah, he said as much. He wanted to play first team football and was hoping to make it into the England squad for the 2002 World Cup.

He also said in that interview posted above, and elsewhere, that his intention was to finish his career at Rovers. He only left due to falling out with Souness.

He's also reported as saying that when he got here he realised he'd made a big mistake.

However he was good value in his time at Ewood.

It's the difference between being able to know which is the best position to be in. The choices are : If the ball breaks there, I will score. Or : If the ball breaks there, I may score. Or in Gallys case: Why does the ball never break, where I am. 

• Like 1

46 minutes ago, rigger said:

It's the difference between being able to know which is the best position to be in. The choices are : If the ball breaks there, I will score. Or : If the ball breaks there, I may score. Or in Gallys case: Why does the ball never break, where I am. 

I think you’ve just described ‘strikers instinct’ (and also the lack thereof) 

1 hour ago, Mattyblue said:

Purely down to SuperLudek that.

Not purely in my view. Ludeck made some great saves that day but Cole missed some absolute sitters.

If he'd been in normal form we never would have won the Premiership.

18 minutes ago, 47er said:

Not purely in my view. Ludeck made some great saves that day but Cole missed some absolute sitters.

If he'd been in normal form we never would have won the Premiership.

Speaking of ifs, if we'd have beaten west ham earlier in the season we'd have already been champions by the time we got to anfield. 

League titles are won over a whole season not just one weekend.

• Backroom

United essentially cheated to beat us in both league matches in 94/95. The ridiculous sending off of Henning Berg in the first match and Shearer's goal being inexplicably disallowed in the second. The final day of that season, even though we lost, was justice being done.

• Like 8

44 minutes ago, Upside Down said:

Speaking of ifs, if we'd have beaten west ham earlier in the season we'd have already been champions by the time we got to anfield. 

League titles are won over a whole season not just one weekend.

Well of course but on that day, at that particular time we owed our Premiership to Ludeck and Cole, neither of whom played for us!

The team that did play for us were a bit ordinary that day.

30 minutes ago, Mattyblue said:

Sherwood’s goal, Shearer was penalised for having a ‘hand on the shoulder’ as he headed it across.

I can still remember my dad turning to me to and saying ‘THEY won’t let us win the title’.

There were a host of similar.The penalty given to City at Easter, the penalty awarded to United at old Trafford against Southampton when Utd were losing to name 2. 

We definitely didn't get a fair deal that season.

• Like 4

7 minutes ago, 47er said:

There were a host of similar.The penalty given to City at Easter, the penalty awarded to United at old Trafford against Southampton when Utd were losing to name 2. 

We definitely didn't get a fair deal that season.

A pal of mine had a saying - You’ve got to win to get a draw at Old Trafford “.

• Like 1