BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

Championship 23/24

The most irritating form of cheating as far as I'm concerned is opposition players subtlety kicking the ball away upon award of a free kick. They all have it off to a fine art. It's totally ingrained and they just can't help themselves.  

Hopefully this is clamped down on with yellow cards.

• Like 3

• Backroom
16 minutes ago, Gavlar Somerset Rover! said:

As an aside I suspect the Trav to Saints rumours is rubbish. His passing ability would get found out within 5 mins in that side. 

If they wanted a disruptive midfielder in the mould of a (lesser) Savage or Mokoena that I guess it would make sense, but I don't think that's Russell Martin's style.

9 minutes ago, Colt Seavers said:

The most irritating form of cheating as far as I'm concerned is opposition players subtlety kicking the ball away upon award of a free kick. They all have it off to a fine art. It's totally ingrained and they just can't help themselves.  

Hopefully this is clamped down on with yellow cards.

In last nights game two players were cautioned quite early on for kicking the ball away, the second one the ball only travelled a few yards. Significantly there was no more after that. Similarly cautions will be issued for players who stand in front of the ball after their team has conceded a free kick, even if the ball is passed sideways or backwards from the free kick. Every true fan should welcome these instructions but the emphasis should be about consistent application both individually and collectively.

• Like 4

One thing with the new timekeeping rule is stamina and fitness.

Halves are typically now going to last 50-55 minutes rather than 45-50 minutes or at least 10% more.

That is a significant additional burden on a professional athlete already operating at peak physical demands and mental stress. 

And of course the intention of the added time is to keep the ball in play- not give rests.

Instead of running an average 10km per match, players will be running an average 11km.

Fingers crossed the fitness regime introduced by GB and JDT disproportionately benefits Rovers and not goal scoring Coventry keepers..

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, DE. said:

If they wanted a disruptive midfielder in the mould of a (lesser) Savage or Mokoena that I guess it would make sense, but I don't think that's Russell Martin's style.

Yeah I just can’t see it. Even his ‘destroyer’ would need to be semi decent on the ball. Trav isnt that man.

Edited by Gavlar Somerset Rover!

1 hour ago, arbitro said:

In last nights game two players were cautioned quite early on for kicking the ball away, the second one the ball only travelled a few yards. Significantly there was no more after that. Similarly cautions will be issued for players who stand in front of the ball after their team has conceded a free kick, even if the ball is passed sideways or backwards from the free kick. Every true fan should welcome these instructions but the emphasis should be about consistent application both individually and collectively.

Nothing new in this , Jason Wilcox was sent off at Notts Forest , for kicking the ball about 3 yards out of play .. November 94 if I remember...

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, Waggy76 said:

Nothing new in this , Jason Wilcox was sent off at Notts Forest , for kicking the ball about 3 yards out of play .. November 94 if I remember...

The problem over delaying restarts has been getting progressively worse and under Mike Riley the referees were advised to manage situations rather than enforce law. Players and managers took advantage of this. Under Howard Webb they now have to do their jobs and apply law more rigidly. There will be some annoyance and lots of moaning but within a couple of months the message should get through. I firmly believe that we, the supporters will be the main beneficiaries.

Edit: I forgot to add that the use of towels to dry the ball for long throws has been outlawed. It was farcical at times last season particularly against todays opponents. I think it was this game where Hedges threw their towels into the crowd.

Edited by arbitro
  • Like 4

2 hours ago, arbitro said:

The problem over delaying restarts has been getting progressively worse and under Mike Riley the referees were advised to manage situations rather than enforce law. Players and managers took advantage of this. Under Howard Webb they now have to do their jobs and apply law more rigidly. There will be some annoyance and lots of moaning but within a couple of months the message should get through. I firmly believe that we, the supporters will be the main beneficiaries.

Edit: I forgot to add that the use of towels to dry the ball for long throws has been outlawed. It was farcical at times last season particularly against todays opponents. I think it was this game where Hedges threw their towels into the crowd.

I thought it was against Sheffield United?

• Backroom

Strong starts today for Stoke and Watford, both netting four goals. A solid 1-0 for Millwall away at Boro. Plymouth with a perfect start to life in the Championship with a 3-1 win against Huddersfield.

It's early days but it could be a very difficult season for Ainsworth and QPR. 

Edited by DE.
  • Like 3

12 minutes ago, chaddyrovers said:

Going to long hard season for QPR and Huddersfield.

Warnock will see Huddersfield Town safe at a canter.

As for QPR, I wouldn't be surprised to see Ainsworth be the first managerial casualty in the Championship this season. I wouldn't have minded Ainsworth here last summer, but it looks like we dodged a bullet.

• Like 2

I'll make one early prediction.

Sheffield Wednesday will go straight back down. I saw enough to realise that Sheffield Wednesday are still a League One side bereft of quality, perhaps aside from their goalkeeper. They were promoted by the skin of their teeth. I don't think Munoz is the right type of manager for them. They need a Warnock-type character if they want a chance at staying up.

The 1-2 scoreline flattered them, although I think there was an element of Russell Martin's possession nonsense that stopped Southampton from absolutely smashing them. Unless they make some signings in this window or the next one, they are going to go straight back down.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, goozburger said:

Warnock will see Huddersfield Town safe at a canter.

As for QPR, I wouldn't be surprised to see Ainsworth be the first managerial casualty in the Championship this season. I wouldn't have minded Ainsworth here last summer, but it looks like we dodged a bullet.

QPR needs players. Lack of Centre backs for example. 

Huddersfield needs a striker or 2 at least. Saying that half of the league still need a striker or 2 like us, Boro, Huddersfield, etc

2 minutes ago, chaddyrovers said:

QPR needs players. Lack of Centre backs for example. 

Huddersfield needs a striker or 2 at least.

We've been desperate for a striker all summer, yet we managed to score two goals today and pick up a win against a good Championship side.

Huddersfield Town couldn't have wished for a worse opening fixture. I recall us losing at home against newly-promoted Charlton Athletic a good few seasons ago. Playing a newly-promoted side is one of the worst opening games you can have. They are buzzing, motivated, and reality hasn't set in for them, yet. That early eagerness starts to wear-off as the season progresses. I think Huddersfield Town will be fine.

• Like 2

• Backroom
1 minute ago, goozburger said:

We've been desperate for a striker all summer, yet we managed to score two goals today and pick up a win against a good Championship side.

Huddersfield Town couldn't have wished for a worse opening fixture. I recall us losing at home against newly-promoted Charlton Athletic a good few seasons ago. Playing a newly-promoted side is one of the worst opening games you can have. They are buzzing, motivated, and reality hasn't set in for them, yet. That early eagerness starts to wear-off as the season progresses. I think Huddersfield Town will be fine.

Tbf we rarely won our first game of the season under Mowbray. Think we managed it once in his final season. We even lost our opening League 1 game against Southend. 

11 hours ago, arbitro said:

No the emphasis should be on players not to to do those things.