BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

Premier League 23-24

1 minute ago, Hasta said:

If we had played Kaminski at the back end of last season ( the keeper who is currently starting to earn great reviews in the Premier League)  instead of the inferior Pears then maybe we wouldn’t have needed the cash as much a few weeks later.

Or maybe we would have. Hypothetical situations cannot be proven.

Match of the Day 2s analysis of the City Spurs game…

Plenty of criticism of the referee decision at the end - no criticism of Haaland’s mistake (missing from 10 yards).

Plenty of praise of Tottenham even though nearly every one ended with the phrase ‘it didn’t work but’.

In my opinion, this highlighted two of the problems with the modern game.

1. Where at all possible, blame the officials - possibly understandable from managers   but indefensible from pundits (maybe it would help if it wasn’t such an old boys club)

2. Style over substance - if it looks ‘right’ (who decide this?) then it doesn’t matter if it  
   works or not.

1 hour ago, Mattyblue said:

It’s December and they’ve won one game, they’ve just lost 5-0 to their relegation rivals and are rooted to the bottom of the table, what’s surprising about it?

absolutely this, that defeat was a sackable offence alone, they might just get new manager bounce in time for Liverpool on Wed.

Edited by Tricky

3 hours ago, wilsdenrover said:

Plenty of criticism of the referee decision at the end - no criticism of Haaland’s mistake (missing from 10 yards).

Plenty of praise of Tottenham even though nearly every one ended with the phrase ‘it didn’t work but’.

1. Where at all possible, blame the officials - possibly understandable from managers   but indefensible from pundits (maybe it would help if it wasn’t such an old boys club)

2. Style over substance - if it looks ‘right’ (who decide this?) then it doesn’t matter if it  
   works or not.

I get the criticism of the ref on this occasion. He waves play-on initially and only seems to blow after Haaland back up. On the wider point of the 'old boys club'. There is an arrogance amongst pro footballers that only those who have played the game have a valid view. Most of us have played the game - it's not rocket-science to translate our experience to the pro game. Clearly a pro footballer's insight adds value as well. Tbf to Leon Osman he did make the point right at the end that generally the ref had a good game and yet they were focussing on the big mistake.

• Like 3

Just now, oneandycrawford said:

I get the criticism of the ref on this occasion. He waves play-on initially and only seems to blow after Haaland back up. On the wider point of the 'old boys club'. There is an arrogance amongst pro footballers that only those who have played the game have a valid view. Most of us have played the game - it's not rocket-science to translate our experience to the pro game. Clearly a pro footballer's insight adds value as well. Tbf to Leon Osman he did make the point right at the end that generally the ref had a good game and yet they were focussing on the big mistake.

I also get the criticism of the referee’s decision - he’s had a shocker.

But Haaland had a shocker too (that miss) but it didn’t get mentioned at all.

I can’t remember the last time a pundit stated anything which wasn’t obvious to anyone with even just a passing interest in football. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, wilsdenrover said:

I also get the criticism of the referee’s decision - he’s had a shocker.

But Haaland had a shocker too (that miss) but it didn’t get mentioned at all.

I can’t remember the last time a pundit stated anything which wasn’t obvious to anyone with even just a passing interest in football. 

I think I preferred it when there was just commentators rather than pundits.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, wilsdenrover said:

works or not.

One aspect of watching Premier League over here is that I rarely, if ever, listen to pundits after games. I am stuck with them at half time but there is no match of the day to watch at night so no chance for enlightened chat.

City-Spurs was an interesting game. I thought that Spurs were awful. They should have been 4 or 5 down by half time. Far too much stupid play at the back followed by bad decision making when attacking. Emerson Royal was an accident waiting to happen. He looked about as steady as someone on a unicycle holding plates of jelly. 

Liverpool played every game available in 2021-22 and suffered for it last season. City are doing much better but something is missing. They are conceding far too many goals, and De Bruyne isn't going to fix that when he's back,. 

Speaking of Liverpool, they are also conceding goals far too regularly. They were miles better than Fulham but couldn't keep them out, and it took a late flurry to win it.

As for Man U. Another woeful performance. I don't think that Ten Hag is the magical coach many want him to be. 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, speeeeeeedie said:

One aspect of watching Premier League over here is that I rarely, if ever, listen to pundits after games. I am stuck with them at half time but there is no match of the day to watch at night so no chance for enlightened chat.

City-Spurs was an interesting game. I thought that Spurs were awful. They should have been 4 or 5 down by half time. Far too much stupid play at the back followed by bad decision making when attacking. Emerson Royal was an accident waiting to happen. He looked about as steady as someone on a unicycle holding plates of jelly. 

Liverpool played every game available in 2021-22 and suffered for it last season. City are doing much better but something is missing. They are conceding far too many goals, and De Bruyne isn't going to fix that when he's back,. 

Speaking of Liverpool, they are also conceding goals far too regularly. They were miles better than Fulham but couldn't keep them out, and it took a late flurry to win it.

As for Man U. Another woeful performance. I don't think that Ten Hag is the magical coach many want him to be. 

Interesting to see Rashford get some deserved criticism at the weekend. He has the odd patch of incredible form but also many spells where not only is he ineffective but he totally downs tools. He did it during the Ronaldo days and the Pogba days but the focus was elsewhere. He doesnt deserve to be in the England squad considering the alternatives barring a massive change. Not one we would want in the trenches.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, roversfan99 said:

Absolutely crazy how few games will be on Saturdays at 3pm.

Screenshot_20231204-182716_X.jpg

TNT will be broadcasting 52 matches a season

That leaves a maximum of 113 Saturday 3pm kick offs.

But who gives a fuck about tradition/match attending fans when TV companies are throwing more and more money around.

Edited by wilsdenrover
  • Like 1

3 minutes ago, wilsdenrover said:

TNT will be broadcasting 52 matches a season

That leaves a maximum of 113 Saturday 3pm kick offs.

But who gives a fuck about tradition/match attending fans when TV companies are throwing more and more money around.

Its absolutely crazy. There should be a cap, more games should be at 3pm. By all means keep 2 for super sunday, show any games that are midweek. Then maybe one on Saturday. Not the vast majority.

• Like 2