BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

v Ipswich Town (a) - 23/9/23

2 hours ago, roverstdt said:

Was at the game at the weekend and i actually think we have a decent defense just our midfield goes absent in a big way. Wharton to me provides nothing defensively. He just seems to jog about, while I would like to see him get more stuck in. Pears needs to be dropped to cup keeper. I think when he is on it, he is a decent keeper, but you just know he has an error in him. I would rather try Leo. I think the formation needs to change as well. A 4 3 3 would be interesting. 

With

JRC Wharton Travis 

Sammie Leonard Arnor 

I think it would add a little more protection to the defense

That looks a much more secure and balanced lineup 

Got round to watching the game on Rovers TV. Thought first half we were completely tactically overrun, and while you can (and JDT did) say that the goals were individual errors, the sheer weight of chances meant a 3-1 lead for Ipswich seemed like us getting off lightly. They'd done their homework - pressed us relentlessly, marked Wharton out of the game,were pretty direct and cut through us at will. That said I was very impressed with how we got ourselves back into it second half. Once Leonard got his goal we were on top for a long period. Showed real guts. 

`What I did struggle to get my head around though was that when we did manage to get us back to 3-3 we didn't change things up to be a bit more normal. We still had (an absolutely knackered) Adam Wharton ploughing a lone furrow in the centre of midfield . It just seemed a bizarre thing to do tactically when we had been mullered in midfield first half, everyone was tiring, and Ipswich bringing on quality subs, and we had Tronstad on the bench. In the end we conceded from (another) Pears error, but also generally the game was very chaotic end to end stuff and Pears did make a couple of good saves also. It really looked like it needed some fresh legs and a bit of proper midfield structure. Couldn't believe Wharton actually played the full 90. 

Im really enjoying how we play, and I think we will improve as the season goes on. But... I don't think just sticking to this kamikaze way of playing for 90 mins every game is going to get us to the playoffs. It has its strengths but we need to be smart about how we use it. 

I think other teams used a system where you have two ways of playing with the same players on the pitch, but you change it for periods during the game. It feels like we should do that... have times during a game where we sit deep with both Wharton and Travis protecting the defence in a more traditional way, conserve energy and play on the counter, then alternate to the mad 433 thing we're doing at the moment with every outfield player except Wharton, Hyam and Carter in the final third for 20 mins at a time.... 

I know it's a bit late but I've just watched the whole game. my thoughts are:-

Pears isn't as bad as people make out. He really is very good with his feet and this is needed because of the way we play. I'm not convinced by the new lad. Pears must start against Leicester.

Dolan is useless. there is really no end product. Needs dropping from the squad unless we're desperate.

Harry Leonard will make a great striker. We must persevere with him.

Sam Morsy is a very, very good player. He is just what we need in midfield. I wish we had him. (retires to bunker with tin hat on)

• Like 1

Ive never really bought that Pears is anything special with his feet. But I dont see how the number of goals he has been responsible for in the last few games is defendable or even worthy of meaning that he "must" start v Leicester. He will, managers tend to have players they seem to have blind spots towards and Pears is that to Tomasson.

The Hull winner, Pears' positioning was awful. Against Plymouth, goals 2 and 3 were blatant mistakes. Against Sunderland, he should have saved the 2nd. And against Ipswich, the second was a poor kick out albeit a superb pass by Chaplin to take advantage, and the 4th was a poor decision to punch it out to Luongo.

• Like 1