BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

v Ipswich Town (a) - 23/9/23

In many respects another frustrating game  to add to a start of the season with missed opportunities. 

Reflecting on 12 months ago though, both our aspirations were lower and other clubs perspective of our play was lower. So we should consider how far we’ve come. 

We won’t get dragged into a dog fight. We’re way too good for that. Goals keep you up and we’re scoring enough of them. Defences win titles and that’s where we’re weaker. 

The keeper needs to change, he should have changed as soon as Wahlstedt came in, and a more ruthless striker would be nice. Next week will be tough, but I think come the end of the season we’re more likely to be in top 6 than the bottom 6.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, rigger said:

I still think our major problem is not playing three in central mid-field

It's a combo of not playing 3 in midfield and also that Trav seems to be under instruction to be a box to box midfielder. 

I think he's actually far better at that than as a defensive midfielder, but we're being both outnumbered in the middle whilst also having no player with the discipline and intelligence go sit. Trav and Wharton were run ragged today. 

On a positive note, I thought Leonard was good today and is developing every game. He looks a real poacher and the ball sticks to him when played into feet. Sigurðsson also showed touches of class.

• Like 2

• Backroom
1 hour ago, davulsukur said:

Hedges potentially missing for a while.

He’s injured and he will be out for a while,” Tomasson told RoversTV after the game at Portman Road.

“I don’t know how long at the moment, but it didn’t look great to be honest.

“We’ll need to wait and see on the medical report and he will probably get a scan on Monday, but he could be out for a bit of time.”

Which probably means more of Markanday on the right.

I really wanted him to work out. Showed glimpses of being an exciting player.

But I'm getting Formica flashbacks. 

• Backroom
4 minutes ago, RevidgeBlue said:

He'd have to be missing a limb to be worse than Hedges.

Harsh.

I had Man City and Newcastle fans massaging me about the keepy uppy goal.

Blew minds when I told them it was his weaker foot.

If Markanda...y can bag a few of them we're laughing. 

Don't even know why I'm rooting for him so much. Maybe because he's a nearly man. And I naively dream a nearly man can become the man. Diaz Mk 2 so soon. 🤞

• Like 3

• Backroom

Hedges is alright as a squad player. He's not especially consistent but he has his moments. For a £250k purchase from Scotland he's done quite alright. The fact he's considered one of our main men these days, however, seems to simply be a sign of how much our squad has regressed. Appreciate Moran started ahead of him today, but even so - his competition is a 21 year old lad from Brighton who's just getting his first taste of senior football.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Tyrone Shoelaces said:

Yeah, 4-3-2-1 for me. We need to shore up the midfield. RRC, Travis, Wharton in the three. Sammy and Siggy in the 2 and whoever is fit can play up front.

I agree with this as a formation. The wide players in the front 3 are generally our weakness and not as effective in their position as some of the players on the bench (mainly JRC) could be in their’s 

5 hours ago, Exiled_Rover said:

He's made a few decent saves - he's not a bad shot stopper, but his all round game as a GK is f'ing awful. 

Shot stopping is all that Pears can do. His judgment is hopeless and he has zero physical presence. That said we don't know how Walstedt looks in training... Be careful of what you wish for. 

• Like 3

1 hour ago, ben_the_beast said:

It's a combo of not playing 3 in midfield and also that Trav seems to be under instruction to be a box to box midfielder. 

I think he's actually far better at that than as a defensive midfielder, but we're being both outnumbered in the middle whilst also having no player with the discipline and intelligence go sit. Trav and Wharton were run ragged today. 

Yeah... haven't watched this game yet - will watch tomorrow. But I was at Ewood for Sunderland mid week and Travis was playing as an offensive box to box midfielder pushed right up the right side. Wharton totally on his own in the middle of the pitch.

In games we are confident we are the better side I can see being so aggressive amd confident making sense. But in a close matchup it just seems hubristic.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, alcd said:

Shot stopping is all that Pears can do. His judgment is hopeless and he has zero physical presence. That said we don't know how Walstedt looks in training... Be careful of what you wish for. 

he can`t be worse than pears,who at the moment needs a long rest,preferably in his mate bensons wardrobe

he must be ok if brondby were desperate to sign him,they would`nt waste valuable money on him without scouting him thoroughly

4 hours ago, JohnD said:

I've seen very, very little of that this season. He's slow, lazy and gives the ball away far too often.

Wharton is massively over hyped. He gives away possession far too often and in dangerous situations. The midfield is scarily wide open and is crying out for a no nonsense enforcer. Wharton would have to be the casualty. At the moment he often looks a stroppy teenager. 

1 hour ago, Underground, Roverground said:

Next week will be tough, but I think come the end of the season we’re more likely to be in top 6 than the bottom 6.

I'm assuming neither. Just another mid-table lost season in the Championship after all the hopes from last.

Its quite obvious that we have a manager of great talent and ambition with a clear plan of how he wants us to play.

But he hasn't been given the players to do it with.

I don't see this ending well.

38 minutes ago, joey_big_nose said:

Yeah... haven't watched this game yet - will watch tomorrow. But I was at Ewood for Sunderland mid week and Travis was playing as an offensive box to box midfielder pushed right up the right side. Wharton totally on his own in the middle of the pitch.

In games we are confident we are the better side I can see being so aggressive amd confident making sense. But in a close matchup it just seems hubristic.

hubristic. that level of vocabulary shows the intellectual nature of this message board. Bravo.

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, alcd said:

Wharton is massively over hyped. He gives away possession far too often and in dangerous situations. The midfield is scarily wide open and is crying out for a no nonsense enforcer. Wharton would have to be the casualty. At the moment he often looks a stroppy teenager. 

il_fullxfull.1631980284_ayfi~2.jpg

Edited by AllRoverAsia

5 hours ago, M_B said:

The mistakes started in the 2nd minute with Wharton's terrible ball through for Leonard, and carried on with regularity. 

Ipswich goalkeeper made as many gaffes as Pears but didn't get punished for them. The incident referred to above was just the first of them.