BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

v Ipswich Town (a) - 23/9/23

48 minutes ago, alcd said:

Wharton is massively over hyped. He gives away possession far too often and in dangerous situations. The midfield is scarily wide open and is crying out for a no nonsense enforcer. Wharton would have to be the casualty. At the moment he often looks a stroppy teenager. 

I still say we need 3 in there

• Like 2

Well where do you start with that defensive performance in the first half. Ipswich cut through us by passing through us, balls down the channels and balls over the top. Our kamikaze defending was incredible and I said after about half an hour I'll be glad to get in at half time 3-1 down because I feared for us. The way we were defending it could have been six. We could have made five changes at half time such was our ineptitude. Hyam, Carter, Travis, Wharton and Szmodics were miles off the pace and they, for me were the worst outfield players but others weren't far behind them. Hyam in particular was poor today as he has been for a few games now. He has been good for us overall but his form recently has fallen off a cliff. I haven't been one to call for Pears to be dropped but today was the culmination of his concession of soft goals recently. The fourth goal today was calamitous - just catch the ball rather than a limp wristed attempt to punch the thing. And this was after we showed some bollocks to get the score to 3-3 and at that point looking good to win it. I have just listened to Tomasson's interview and it's difficult to disagree with him. Scoring three goals in any league game should be enough to win the game but not Rovers. Tomasson has some big decisions to make before next Sunday. The normal first team regulars are the ones who might be at risk of the chop. It would be a hold statement from Tomasson but after conceding eleven goals, the majority of them 'soft', in four game something has to give.

• Like 4

Shame somebody had to lose this afternoon.   People talk about something being (quote) "A great advert for a particular league" - it's maybe something of a cliche - but this time it did hold a certain truth to it.     No-one could have seen that score or result before play but things have proved before that anything can happen in this league.    Like, Norwich beaten  6 - 2  at Plymouth.    That sort of thing.   😏

That had to be one of our best or most memorable wins over Rovers since the F.A. Cup game when you were League Champions and still had Alan Shearer in your side.      Both teams today showed character and resilience in wanting to win, and refusing to be beaten.    It was a good advert for the league.  

We've come on leaps and bounds since McKenna took charge and the hated Marcus Evans ownership broke up and went away, he very nearly took us into League Two or sunk the club name without trace but look at it now, whether you're for us or against us, it's beyond remarkable.

900 Rovers fans made the trip south and while you didn't get the result you wished, I think both supporters will be in agreement it was a wonderful spectacle or exhibition of open play and entertainment.      Not many teams will come to Portman Road and score 3 goals this season.       Our defence was breached again more times than we would have liked but fortunately we possess enough potential at the other end of the field to get things done or give ourselves every opportunity when facing opponents.  

• Like 4

2 hours ago, alcd said:

Wharton is massively over hyped. He gives away possession far too often and in dangerous situations. The midfield is scarily wide open and is crying out for a no nonsense enforcer. Wharton would have to be the casualty. At the moment he often looks a stroppy teenager. 

Which is probably what he is right now because he has zero experience of anything other than kids football to draw from.

This is the problem with throwing too many young players in and not having depth to withdraw them when the going gets tough.

Loaning out Buckley ( to save money ) and get him games has spectacularly back fired already.

• Like 5

2 hours ago, alcd said:

Looked wide open on our left flank. Pickering has no pace whatsoever and was torn to shreds in the second half. 

His attempt at heading the ball away for their first goal was half hearted at best. Then the same with closing down the guy who took a shot.

• Like 1

15 hours ago, chaddyrovers said:

My thoughts and opinions on today game based on listening to Radio Lancs commentary with Mark Atkins and watching the goals from Sky Sports app. 

Disappointed result today especially after getting it back to 3-3 to lose 4-3 . The highs and lows off Blackburn Rovers today

All 4 goals are very disappointed to conceded them like we did. First one when isn't anyone closing down the player who scored, Pears mistakes for the other 3 which no-one including myself can defend Pears from valid criticism. The second one he should be aiming his kick down field not across the pitch. Third Goal, Too slow out to confront Hirst and the 4th goal is where pears should be catching that at very least. His punch isn't good enough. To answer your question @Mellor RoverI do feel and think its time we play Leo Wahlstedt in goal. 

We scored 3 good goals today and that's positives from today games. The attack scored 3 but as a team we can't afford to conceded 4 goals. Pleased to see Szmodics and Sigurdsson scored. 

I deffo don't think we will be involve in any Relegation battle this season. We have plenty of quality. I still think and believe the championship is wide open and anyone can beat anyone as today shows so the aim should be playoff place

I would like to see 4 changes to the starting line up, Wahlstedt in for Pears, Hill in for Carter, Tronstad in for Travis, JRC in for Moran.  

Wahlstedt

Brittain Hill Hyam(C) Pickering

Tronstad Wharton

JRC         Szmodics  Sigurdsson 

Leonard 

In your last 4 or 5 match day threads you’ve gone from Pears to Wahlstedt to Pears and now back to Wahlstedt. 

I’m a fan of JDT but it’s criminal he’s still playing an Euxton Villa level goalkeeper who is only a professional through nepotism, ahead of someone he spent our paltry transfer budget on. Hopefully that’s the end of it, at least now all those who were insistent Pears somehow deserved to start have their eyes open now. 

Edited by superniko
  • Like 1

12 minutes ago, booth said:

His attempt at heading the ball away for their first goal was half hearted at best. Then the same with closing down the guy who took a shot.

Pickering is a bit of a mystery, I tie myself in knots over him. He’s capable of excellent moments both defensively and - as seen today with his cross for Leonard - offensively.

Increasingly of the opinion that he’s stuck in the gap between League One and Championship. Arguably too good for League One, where the inadequacies in his game wouldn’t be punished as often or as severely but isn’t good enough on average to be a left back for a team aspiring to the playoffs.

Someone has to be the weakest link in a team, no matter how good they are and opposition managers intentionally target our left flank so often. He’s potentially being shown up simply by virtue of being targeted so frequently, which might exaggerate those inadequacies. He can motor on for days, never looks tired, never looks like he’s uninterested.

At 24, there’s still time for him to learn and be more composed but it’s a lot to learn and add to his game if he’s to compensate for the exact lack of pace he has.

• Like 1

I will repeat my post Plymouth comment.

If Wahlstedt isn't better than Pears we have a serious problem. 

First time we have spent a half getting beaten by a better team but what a come back only to be undone by (another) keeping misjudgement.

Sigurddson looks a talent.

Lest we forget, Dolan failed to score when clean through on the keeper

Again

And Travis had a clear shooting chance on the edge of the area and passed sideways 

Again.

Both at 3-3...

Edited by philipl
  • Like 4

Incidentally same 4-3 defeat scoreline as in the League Cup in the '80s when Ipswich were a top First Division side.

A full strength Ipswich couldn't cope with Simon Garner that night who tore the then England central defence of Butcher and Osman to shreds and beat Cooper in the Ipswich goal twice, struck for a third and rolled the rebound off Cooper for Windy Miller to score into an empty net.

Pretty certain Colin Talbot was playing for Ipswich that night but Arnold Muhren might not have been. Paul Mariner got the winner against a tiring Rovers late on.  

• Like 2

AW is being expected to run Championship games twice a week at 19, he isn’t Bellingham (sorry Phil), just a very promising young lad, so needs nurturing and taking out the firing line every now and then… that can’t happen here due to horrendous recruitment.

Edited by Mattyblue
  • Like 8

1 hour ago, philipl said:

Incidentally same 4-3 defeat scoreline as in the League Cup in the '80s when Ipswich were a top First Division side.

A full strength Ipswich couldn't cope with Simon Garner that night who tore the then England central defence of Butcher and Osman to shreds and beat Cooper in the Ipswich goal twice, struck for a third and rolled the rebound off Cooper for Windy Miller to score into an empty net.

Pretty certain Colin Talbot was playing for Ipswich that night but Arnold Muhren might not have been. Paul Mariner got the winner against a tiring Rovers late on.  

There's only one Simon Garner !!!

• Like 1

13 hours ago, NeilInBristol said:

It was a bad result but let's stay calm..look at Ipswich record. They have been flying this season..jdt gave a team talk at half time and we almost got a point out of the game. Let’s keep realistic about this result. 

Ipswich fans saying we’re the best team they’ve played so far this season and I didn’t think we played that well. Every single team who’s played us has said we’re a very good side. If we stop making these stupid mistakes then we could be in a very good spot come the end of the season - Still plenty to play for! 

• Like 3

13 minutes ago, BankEnd Rover said:

Ipswich fans saying we’re the best team they’ve played so far this season 

Like all the others after beating us.  They would say wouldn’t they - can we play you every week? Playing well and nul points leads to relegation. Give me a scabby win any day of the week. 

• Like 4

7 hours ago, booth said:

Pears part at faul too for the first letting, a well hit shot, go past him in a narrow gap. Slow reaction.

He played a part in a all 4 goals conceded.

Hyam was awful, runs in treacle, couldn't pass or tackle. Carter not much better and constantly plays suicide passes out from the back to players who can't deal with them, only AW can and he was off the pace big time.

The highlights for me:

* Sammy's goal, class pass to him and then well taken.

* Travis, a donkey, trying to go around the keeper. Epic fail. TBF his pass for our first goal was good and was the goal.

I've not bothered to vote for crap.

Edited by AllRoverAsia
  • Like 2

4 minutes ago, BankEnd Rover said:

Thought Markanday did well when he came on -  Definitely ahead of Dolan for me.

Interestingly I was listening to several conversations amongst Ipswich fans on the train back to London and they pretty much all said he looked like a proper player. He did play well and looked a real threat as he went forward but was also diligent defensively too. If he can add some consistency to his game there is a player in there.

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, arbitro said:

Interestingly I was listening to several conversations amongst Ipswich fans on the train back to London and they pretty much all said he looked like a proper player. He did play well and looked a real threat as he went forward but was also diligent defensively too. If he can add some consistency to his game there is a player in there.

He’s got great control and has a sweet left foot. I understand JDTs frustration with him but he certainly can make an impact off the bench. 

Also I’d put good money on him finishing that one v one Dolan missed - Hope he sticks around.

Edited by BankEnd Rover
  • Like 2

6 hours ago, Bethnal said:

Pickering is a bit of a mystery, I tie myself in knots over him. He’s capable of excellent moments both defensively and - as seen today with his cross for Leonard - offensively.

Increasingly of the opinion that he’s stuck in the gap between League One and Championship. Arguably too good for League One, where the inadequacies in his game wouldn’t be punished as often or as severely but isn’t good enough on average to be a left back for a team aspiring to the playoffs.

Someone has to be the weakest link in a team, no matter how good they are and opposition managers intentionally target our left flank so often. He’s potentially being shown up simply by virtue of being targeted so frequently, which might exaggerate those inadequacies. He can motor on for days, never looks tired, never looks like he’s uninterested.

At 24, there’s still time for him to learn and be more composed but it’s a lot to learn and add to his game if he’s to compensate for the exact lack of pace he has.

Pace is such a vital attribute for fullbacks these days, and I'm pretty sure Pickering would've never been signed by the current regime. But a little puzzled that we haven't tried to address that position yet, guess we're that skint. He was shocking again yesterday and has already been stupidly sent off this season, so would go for JRC and Brittain from here if I was JDT.

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, Tabula Rasa said:

We're 8 games in.

If we can stop leaking goals, we'll go up.

There. Said it.

I fully agree with that, but that’s the conundrum. We don’t know how good or bad the new keeper is yet, but he is going to need to be very good to stop us conceding as many as we have.

Granted there were 3 yesterday that he could have done better with, but Ipswich had 36 attempts on goal.

We need to shore up the midfield and get our act together defensively too, as we are just relying on being totally kamikaze.

The attacking play has been exciting and the football nice on the eye, but even as a spectator, I’m knackered after every match.

Get the new keeper in, perhaps go 5 at the back and maybe temper some of the forward play a touch.

I rate JDT but his philosophy of preferring to win 5-4 instead of 1-0 is costing us what could be vital points right now.

Leicester up next, so we need to implement some changes in the personal and style to get a result.

Grinding out a scrappy 1-0 will be fine by me, but I sense that will not be the order of the day. 

• Like 1