BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

v Ipswich Town (a) - 23/9/23

23 minutes ago, pick32 said:

Just watched the highlights and my nan saves 2/4, Kaminski 4/4. Pears has been awful this season and a few camera saves instead of simple catches masks that for some fans 

Having defended Pears at times for some of the goals we've shipped this season, the time is right for a change as I feel as a whole the defence has lost a bit of faith in him and contributed to the goals we've let in.

By the way, as much as I loved TK, you've obviously not watched some of the goals Luton have conceded this season

• Like 4

I'm surprised sky aren't tapping us up to get more games on, yet. Our games must be fantastic for a neutral this season! So tough to take the result after the second half fight back, I've seen many Ipswich fans saying we're the best team they played, recurring theme ain't it?

I must admit the first half was absolutely terrible though.

We need Wahlstedt to play decent against Cardiff so he gets the nod against Leicester don't we? Pears made some good saves yesterday but it's just not enough, if you want to punch so much take up boxing lad (probably do better than Joyce last night).

Also, Adam Wharton is getting off very very lightly for me. Granted he's a young un but he's making the mistakes week in, week out that Morton got grief for last season. Let's see what tronstad offers in the cup.....

• Like 7

I think Hyam has been really poor recently and although Carter hasn’t been at his best, I still think there is a good player there. If Scott Wharton is ever going to get a chance to claim a shirt again, it is now.

Dolan is not for me and Markandy looks like a really decent prospect, very tidy but unfortunately, hasn’t got the raw speed we desperately need. I can’t understand why they didn’t take heed from the Girona friendly and sign up their young winger, who doesn’t get a game at senior level.

• Like 3

28 minutes ago, Tugayisgod said:

Having defended Pears at times for some of the goals we've shipped this season, the time is right for a change as I feel as a whole the defence has lost a bit of faith in him and contributed to the goals we've let in.

By the way, as much as I loved TK, you've obviously not watched some of the goals Luton have conceded this season

Can’t say I’ve watched a single minute of Luton unless we were playing them

3 hours ago, philipl said:

Incidentally same 4-3 defeat scoreline as in the League Cup in the '80s when Ipswich were a top First Division side.

A full strength Ipswich couldn't cope with Simon Garner that night who tore the then England central defence of Butcher and Osman to shreds and beat Cooper in the Ipswich goal twice, struck for a third and rolled the rebound off Cooper for Windy Miller to score into an empty net.

Pretty certain Colin Talbot was playing for Ipswich that night but Arnold Muhren might not have been. Paul Mariner got the winner against a tiring Rovers late on.  

Brian Talbot

• Like 2

37 minutes ago, Torgeir said:

Pace is such a vital attribute for fullbacks these days, and I'm pretty sure Pickering would've never been signed by the current regime. But a little puzzled that we haven't tried to address that position yet, guess we're that skint. He was shocking again yesterday and has already been stupidly sent off this season, so would go for JRC and Brittain from here if I was JDT.

When I watched his “ highlights “ video on here before he actually arrived all it consisted of was him joining in with attacks, making runs with the ball, crossing and shooting etc. You could think we were signing a midfield player not a full back. Not one example of good defensive play. There’s usually a reason for that.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Penwortham Blue said:

I think Hyam has been really poor recently and although Carter hasn’t been at his best, I still think there is a good player there. If Scott Wharton is ever going to get a chance to claim a shirt again, it is now.

Dolan is not for me and Markandy looks like a really decent prospect, very tidy but unfortunately, hasn’t got the raw speed we desperately need. I can’t understand why they didn’t take heed from the Girona friendly and sign up their young winger, who doesn’t get a game at senior level.

When you have no confidence in the goalkeeper behind you, it's an issue and will affect performance. 

JDT sounds like he rates Hill, suspect he will play before Wharton if he does ok in the cup.

• Like 5

1 hour ago, Moptop1 said:

We seem to be making the same mistakes. Are the players actually learning? It’s a habit that won’t go away. Still frustrating as ever.

The players at the very top are there primarily because they can make instant decisions at pace under pressure and get them right 99% of the time. It’s no good being skilful on the ball etc if your decision making is crap.

However some blames lies with the coaching staff. The top managers drill into their players how to deal with certain situations that they will encounter in a game over and over and over again. Do we do that ?

Edited by Tyrone Shoelaces

43 minutes ago, Tugayisgod said:

I haven't particularly defended Pears, I've more called out some of the ridiculous scrutiny of some of the goals he's conceded,particularly the ones at Rotherham and home to Hull. 

You've summed up the situation perfectly, it is time for a change. My worry would be that if Wahlstedt is subjected to the same scrutiny, he'll be written off before he's had a chance. 

On the Kaminski thing, some just won't let it lie, he quite literally did throw one in against West Ham. We wish him well but he's gone. 

• Like 1

First half of last season he was definitely drilling the defend as a team ethic into them and times that got critics because we seemed to abandon any notion of attack.

Exact opposite this early season and to be honest this style and not having protection in the middle hangs out to dry some of the guys at the back time and again.  

They need to work on getting the balance right and do it quickly.

• Like 8

50 minutes ago, Ossydave said:

I'm surprised sky aren't tapping us up to get more games on, yet. Our games must be fantastic for a neutral this season!

Sky purely seem to pick teams towards the top, regardless of how they play. So we’ll hardly be on at this rate… it’ll be PNE fans watching the NYD game at noon and random fixtures on a Saturday night this time if they aren’t careful…

1 minute ago, Mattyblue said:

Sky purely seem to pick teams towards the top, regardless of how they play. So we’ll hardly be on at this rate… it’ll be PNE fans watching the NYD game at noon and random fixtures on a Saturday night this time if they aren’t careful…

I can live with that, I'd rather not be on Sky.

Preston have already been promoted apparently so they won't bother showing their games.

• Like 3

43 minutes ago, Tyrone Shoelaces said:

The players at the very top are there primarily because they can make instant decisions at pace under pressure and get them right 99% of the time. It’s no good being skilful on the ball etc if your decision making is crap.

However some blames lies with the coaching staff. The top managers drill into their players how to deal with certain situations that they will encounter in a game over and over and over again. Do we do that ?

You can't make a silk purse out of a sows ear Tyrone, I'm sure all concerned are doing the best they can with limited resources. 

JDT is potentially the best manager we've had in over a decade, but he's not a miracle worker and is operating with one hand tied behind his back as so many before him.

Edited by Gav
  • Like 3

10 minutes ago, Mattyblue said:

I reckon we'll finally get our sky Friday night home game when they come here in November.

1 hour ago, Ossydave said:

I'm surprised sky aren't tapping us up to get more games on, yet. Our games must be fantastic for a neutral this season! So tough to take the result after the second half fight back, I've seen many Ipswich fans saying we're the best team they played, recurring theme ain't it?

I must admit the first half was absolutely terrible though.

We need Wahlstedt to play decent against Cardiff so he gets the nod against Leicester don't we? Pears made some good saves yesterday but it's just not enough, if you want to punch so much take up boxing lad (probably do better than Joyce last night).

Also, Adam Wharton is getting off very very lightly for me. Granted he's a young un but he's making the mistakes week in, week out that Morton got grief for last season. Let's see what tronstad offers in the cup.....

Yes fair point. If it was Morton making the mistakes he would be getting absolutely murdered.

That said I dont think we ever asked Morton to play as a one man midfield like we are this season. Its hard to think of a more difficult role in football than the one we have put Wharton in. Whartons a special player but its too much to ask as our core tactic imo. We need a more normal setup to play regularly and then we can pick the times to switch to this one man midfield business. 

• Like 1

39 minutes ago, MarkBRFC said:

I reckon we'll finally get our sky Friday night home game when they come here in November.

They'll be selling out the end this season and giving it large again.

If they keep it up every credit but i so look forward to their falling off the perch.

Back to that previous 4-3 defeat at Ipswich.

Garner scored twice roasting their defence to put us 0-2 at half time. They got back to 2-2, we went 2-3 then ended 4-3 to them

Muhren scored early second half before going off injured. John Wark got a brace- the second a tremendous drive from the edge of the area into the top right corner. Paul Mariner the winner in the 85th minute cutting in from their left.

21 minutes ago, joey_big_nose said:

Yes fair point. If it was Morton making the mistakes he would be getting absolutely murdered.

That said I dont think we ever asked Morton to play as a one man midfield like we are this season. Its hard to think of a more difficult role in football than the one we have put Wharton in. Whartons a special player but its too much to ask as our core tactic imo. We need a more normal setup to play regularly and then we can pick the times to switch to this one man midfield business. 

I'm not saying Wharton is a bad player, just that he shouldn't escape criticism, which he is for the most part. He used to skip round challenges and be calm on the ball, never giving it away. Lately he will cost us more goals than he will assist. 

• Like 3

12 minutes ago, Ossydave said:

I'm not saying Wharton is a bad player, just that he shouldn't escape criticism, which he is for the most part. He used to skip round challenges and be calm on the ball, never giving it away. Lately he will cost us more goals than he will assist. 

I've been saying for 18 months that I don't think he's ready for a full season in the Championship, he's not got the fitness levels or strength from what I can see. The country went wild after that away performance at Blackpool live on Sky and whilst he's shown flashes of that night in more recent times, he's a long way from the finished article for me. 

He's still a bit part player in my eyes being rushed, due to lack of options.

• Like 5

4 minutes ago, Gav said:

I've been saying for 18 months that I don't think he's ready for a full season in the Championship, he's not got the fitness levels or strength from what I can see. The country went wild after that away performance at Blackpool live on Sky and whilst he's shown flashes of that night in more recent times, he's a long way from the finished article for me. 

He's still a bit part player in my eyes being rushed, due to lack of options.

The thing is Gav, there would be absolute outrage amongst our fans if he got benched. 

He needs a bit of time out if you ask me, maybe give Buckley a run out. Oh  😕

• Like 4

1 hour ago, Penwortham Blue said:

Totally agree about Hyam and Carter. I believe Carter is our best centre half and when he steps forward and travels with the ball it gives us something different. In each of the last few games he has done this and got us into decent attacking positions. He should be encouraged to do this more particularly when other teams are sat deeper. Hyam is too safe on the ball too often. When we were 4-3 down yesterday he had several opportunities to switch play with a long diagonal out wide but he took the safe option to Pickering or Carter. 

So frustrating.

• Like 2