BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

v Ipswich Town (a) - 23/9/23

3 minutes ago, Penwortham Blue said:

I think there is a good player in Hedges. However, he is far too inconsistent and his decision making is very questionable and as a result, chances go begging. At Deepdale, he changed the game second half but then totally fucked it up at the end, stupid penalty the other night and he doesn’t score enough goals or convert guilt edged chances, Plymouth and Leicester were genuinely harder to miss the target than score.

Like Dolan’s miss the other day. It was genuinely harder to head the ball wide than it was to head the ball in to goal.

7 minutes ago, Penwortham Blue said:

I think there is a good player in Hedges. However, he is far too inconsistent and his decision making is very questionable and as a result, chances go begging. At Deepdale, he changed the game second half but then totally fucked it up at the end, stupid penalty the other night and he doesn’t score enough goals or convert guilt edged chances, Plymouth and Leicester were genuinely harder to miss the target than score.

Hedges is 90% a PL-level player and 10% fucking shit.

(I actually do quite like Hedges overall)

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, Tyrone Shoelaces said:

Tronstad or Travis with Wharton, it won’t make any difference. They’ll still be out numbered. In fact I don’t think Tronstad is as good as Travis.

no Wouldn't cos Ipswich, Sunderland and Boro all played 4-2-3-1 against us. We have played mix between 4-2-3-1 and 4-3-3 with Wharton playing as the deep layer midfielder with Travis and Szmodics playing the 8 role with sometimes Szmodics moving into the 10 role alot leaving us wide open at times 

5 minutes ago, dingles staying down 4ever said:

It is the reason we are stretched, one midfielder taking off the defenders one to cover the middle third and then Szmodics in the final third taking the glory. Unless the wide forwards are prepared to play deeper its why teams can pass through us

We’re making the players fit into the system instead of having a system that suits the players we have. We all love Sammy but the way we are set up at the moment - he ( or to be more accurate, whoever plays that role ) is part of the problem. The same would apply if Dack was playing there.

Edited by Tyrone Shoelaces
  • Like 2

12 minutes ago, Penwortham Blue said:

He's what, 27 or 28 years old? At that age, and with all the shortcomings you highlight, then I'm afrraid he will remain what he is; a bang average journeyman.

He hardly ever creates, hardly ever scores, and doesn't take responsibility with the ball.

• Like 3

12 minutes ago, Wheelton Blue said:

He's what, 27 or 28 years old? At that age, and with all the shortcomings you highlight, then I'm afrraid he will remain what he is; a bang average journeyman.

He hardly ever creates, hardly ever scores, and doesn't take responsibility with the ball.

Plus he’s handicapped by having to play on the right when he favours his left foot most of the time.  Even the dogs in the street know he’s either going to pass inside or come inside himself. He never gets around the side of opponents.

Edited by Tyrone Shoelaces
  • Like 5

53 minutes ago, Tyrone Shoelaces said:

We’re making the players fit into the system instead of having a system that suits the players we have. We all love Sammy but the way we are set up at the moment - he ( or to be more accurate, whoever plays that role ) is part of the problem. The same would apply if Dack was playing there.

Szmodics is suited to how we are playing but the real problem is how we are playing Travis and he is far too high when we defensively leaving us just Wharton in there. That's why I would go in the 2 defensive midfielders and Szmodics has the 10 behind Leonard

32 minutes ago, Tyrone Shoelaces said:

Plus he’s handicapped by having to play on the right when he favours his left foot most of the time.  Even the dogs in the street know he’s either going to pass inside or come inside himself. He never gets around the side of opponents.

He has played his entire career there. 

Also did he not go on the side of the opponents when he scored at Watford? I think he deffo did

8 minutes ago, chaddyrovers said:

Szmodics is suited to how we are playing but the real problem is how we are playing Travis and he is far too high when we defensively leaving us just Wharton in there. That's why I would go in the 2 defensive midfielders and Szmodics has the 10 behind Leonard

He has played his entire career there. 

Also did he not go on the side of the opponents when he scored at Watford? I think he deffo did

Once in all the time he’s been here and that makes it alright ? Only in Chaddyworld.

For me the fact is if anytime does not have a strong and powerful midfield who as a unit can both attack and defend then the said team will not win many games. Rovers needs a strong midfield base playing either 4-4-2 or for me 3-5-2 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Tyrone Shoelaces said:

Once in all the time he’s been here and that makes it alright ? Only in Chaddyworld.

I highlighted that your point is wrong. They have been others time aswell but Brittain should be overlapping allowing Hedges to cut inside. The days of right footed on the right and left footed on the left have gone. You seen that with Spurs, Arsenal, Newcastle and Man City all playing with left footed on the right and right footed on the left. This is modern day football 

23 minutes ago, chaddyrovers said:

I highlighted that your point is wrong. They have been others time aswell but Brittain should be overlapping allowing Hedges to cut inside. The days of right footed on the right and left footed on the left have gone. You seen that with Spurs, Arsenal, Newcastle and Man City all playing with left footed on the right and right footed on the left. This is modern day football 

When we have players as good as they have I’ll agree with you. As it is a left footed journeyman player like Hedges would be better off playing to his strengths.

• Like 3

16 minutes ago, Tyrone Shoelaces said:

When we have players as good as they have I’ll agree with you.

The point still stands. Even at Championship levels teams set up the same way. That's the modern day way. 

16 minutes ago, Tyrone Shoelaces said:

As it is a left footed journeyman player like Hedges would be better off playing to his strengths.

he does. That why JDT keeps picking him. I rated Hedges and I would pick him in most games currently if fit 

Hedges is crap, I warned against this when signed having seen him from Aberdeen. We need better.

pears is crap and chaddy I warned against this for ages, he has and will continue to cost us points. He should never be our number 1. 

Jdt is going full on Owen coyle these days, yes we can score but we can’t keep them out and looks far too easy for the opposition. Concerning 

11 hours ago, des said:

For me the fact is if anytime does not have a strong and powerful midfield who as a unit can both attack and defend then the said team will not win many games. Rovers needs a strong midfield base playing either 4-4-2 or for me 3-5-2 

I think this is fair. It’s very early but it must be concerning that Wharton might, like Buckley, not fulfil the potential he has as a highly technically gifted player. Not sure how to get it out of him but having good defensive support might help.

Lacking pace at the back, there’s extra demands on the CMs. I recall the days of Short and Berg at the back with Stig and Lucas Neill, I think, full backs, who did well as a slow back line. But they played very deep and the full backs often sat back.

It might be the case of a need to be more conservative given the general lack of pace and physicality in the team. 

Edited by riverholmes

18 hours ago, roversfan99 said:

The main issue as always is the owners leaving us with a poor, young and thin squad leaving options to the manager very sparse.

But he warrants criticism over 2 major things. His repeated backing of such a poor keeper is costing us points on a weekly basis. And the way we are playing is so naive and is leaving us far too open. We are leaking goals and average defenders are left exposed with no protection. Both have to change.

4-1 win against the league (joint) leaders with a decent keeper though...

I think Brittain, Carter, Wharton, Hyam are all very good defenders.  

I think they're lacking protection and a good goalkeeper behind them.

You can't carry a lazy Wharton and a poor keeper, you're bound to leak goals.  I'd be dropping both if we had more options. Wahlsted and Tronsdadt deserve a go in my opinion. Wharton needs a rocket!

• Like 6

27 minutes ago, roversfan99 said:

Dont think football works like that.

We conceded 29 shots at the weekend so my point stands, we are very vulnerable as we have looked all season.

Maybe not, but it's a matter of fact that we conceded 3 goals any decent keeper would save.

50 minutes ago, Bohinen1983 said:

I think Brittain, Carter, Wharton, Hyam are all very good defenders.  

I think they're lacking protection and a good goalkeeper behind them.

You can't carry a lazy Wharton and a poor keeper, you're bound to leak goals.  I'd be dropping both if we had more options. Wahlsted and Tronsdadt deserve a go in my opinion. Wharton needs a rocket!

Don't think is particularly fair, the number of players good enough to play a one man pivot position in world football probably starts and ends with Rodri. He needs someone next to him to help cover, in transition he's got 60 yards to cover by himself, often against 3 opponents. 

2 minutes ago, Mellor Rover said:

Maybe not, but it's a matter of fact that we conceded 3 goals any decent keeper would save.

I dont think its a fair analysis though just to assume a huge (why 4-1 and not 3-1?) win by cutting out goals that could have been avoided, that would change the game entirely.

I also think Tomasson is being naive by just batting off the problems as being down to individual errors. For a start, individual errors are more likely to be exposed when we are as stretched as we are, teams are cutting us open regularly at the moment with these gung ho tactics. He also is the one who keeps stubbornly sticking with a crap keeper. We look very vulnerable at the moment and those individual errors are more likely without a change/adjustment to how we are playing.

Was at the game at the weekend and i actually think we have a decent defense just our midfield goes absent in a big way. Wharton to me provides nothing defensively. He just seems to jog about, while I would like to see him get more stuck in. Pears needs to be dropped to cup keeper. I think when he is on it, he is a decent keeper, but you just know he has an error in him. I would rather try Leo. I think the formation needs to change as well. A 4 3 3 would be interesting. 

With

JRC Wharton Travis 

Sammie Leonard Arnor 

I think it would add a little more protection to the defense

1 hour ago, Wheelton Blue said:

I don't think Wharton is lazy, as such. Rather, he doesn't have the engine to do what's being asked of him.

I don't think even if you had the best defensive midfielder ever to play in the Championship he's going to protect you on the transition if you have only one player in the centre of midfield.  The way we are playing is basically on the premise that we will rarely turn over the ball. When we do it frequently like second half Sunderland or first half Ipswich we get murdered.

Our standard situation is when we lose possession the only players who will be anywhere near the half way line are Carter and Hyam with Wharton just in front. Everyone else is in the final third.