BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

v Huddersfield Town (h) - 20/01/2024

26 minutes ago, alcd said:

Saxton had a mixed bag of signings. Ian Miller, Sellars and Gennoe all good. But Norman Bell and McKinnon rubbish. Jimmy Quinn came good after leaving. 

I remember a lad at primary school singing "Jimmy Quinn, Jimmy Quinn, Jimmy Quinn." (to "here we go") Went home and told my Dad who responded with... "Why's he singing about him? Bloody rubbish."

2 minutes ago, bluebruce said:

Just seen Gally's penalty claim...my god that was blatant! The big giveaway is when the player behind tumbles to the ground as well, it can only mean he has collided. Shocking decision.

To absolutely compound his error within a couple of minutes he (rightly) gave Huddersfield a free kick for a similar offence but with what I thought was less contact. This was pointed out to him by the crowd and several Rovers players. 

• Like 2

17 minutes ago, arbitro said:

To absolutely compound his error within a couple of minutes he (rightly) gave Huddersfield a free kick for a similar offence but with what I thought was less contact. This was pointed out to him by the crowd and several Rovers players. 

And a yellow card just to add insult to injury.

• Like 1

17 hours ago, roversfan99 said:

It would have been well spent had the owners not blocked the potential sale last summer. Had we brought in 8 million or whatever it was, it would have meant that we had brought in a profit on the three as well as having loads of goals in the process. 

Brereton had 2 awful seasons, one decent one and then 2 in which he scored a combined 37 goals in 2 seasons, making him far and away our top scorer and right up there with Championship goalscorers across those 2 years. Armstrong obviously also scored lots of goals for us and made a big profit, his fee covering the 3 fees combined before Newcastles cut. And no team gets recruitment bang on, but if you are bringing in 20m+ for 2 of the 3, which we would without moronic owners as you say, you can afford to swallow up the third who wasnt as successful. And its not like Gallagher has been a total waste of time who scored 1 or 2 goals, he has contributed in his time albeit certainly not for the value of the fee paid.

Couldnt agree more on the owners being moronic. Ultimately if they had cashed in on Brereton, which they had to, and also had stuck to a model of buying, selling at profit after the individuals did a good job for us and then reinvesting, then they would have been well in line with such a model. As it is, they have a model of sometimes interfering and stopping the income entirely, or just not reinvesting sales at all even when they do come in. End result, the mess we are in today.

17 hours ago, booth said:

We needed defenders badly when Brereton was bought. It’s easy to look at it free of context and look at the important goals he eventually scored but we needed some pragmatic signings at the time.

Gallagher was a terrible waste of money. Probably Mowbray’s most bizarre signing. Was he drunk?

I think booth highlights some of the issues as to why Bereton wasn't a good signing. 7 million was then and is now even more so is huge outlay for us. Not only were there more pressing issues back then I don't see how a signing can be good value when they do nothing for 2 years, and arguably in 3 don't do enough to justify such a big fee. 

Agree it would be easier to see it as favourable had we got a fee for him - only our owners eh? Mind you only at Rovers would a player do nothing for 2 years, meh in a 3rd and still be at the club! I genuinely cannot think of any other player or club after 2+ years of failure has come good. Such situations don't exist in football outside of us. 

Mind you him seemingly slacking off as his contract ran down doesn't endear Bereton to me either. 

• Like 2

11 hours ago, arbitro said:

Mowbrays real strength is how he ingratiates himself on the media and fan base, something like a favourite uncle who can regale the family with stories. The nonsense about cake and chocolate bars were examples of how he really got the media onside and for many of them it distracted from poor results. His working class lad thing was done to death here and frankly it got boring.

Good luck to him - he has made a career out of being a level or two above mediocrity aligned with the odd success and continues to gain employment.

I think he personifies mediocrity to be honest.

On 20/01/2024 at 09:57, simongarnerisgod said:

bloody hell we are so easy to play against,it`s a good job huddersfield are shite or we`de have been looking at another 4 goal hammering

jdt needs to adapt,we`ve been sussed out attack wise(all you need to do against us is keep a straight line and get a tackle in and can`t defend set pieces,if he won`t alter the team shape then he needs to **** off

on crisene,i thought he looked well short of match fitness,same with gallagher

He started 5 defenders. Changed formation. The problem since Ayala left we don’t have a player that’s going to dominate the aerial attacks. I just don’t see how a change in manager could make Brittain, Pickering, Hyam, Leo/Pears, or Trondstad or A Wharton start winning headers.  This lot of players all seems soft, no one outside Garrett wants to put in a tackle and no one seems capable of winning a header in either box. 

• Like 2

17 hours ago, yankfan said:

He started 5 defenders. Changed formation. The problem since Ayala left we don’t have a player that’s going to dominate the aerial attacks. I just don’t see how a change in manager could make Brittain, Pickering, Hyam, Leo/Pears, or Trondstad or A Wharton start winning headers.  This lot of players all seems soft, no one outside Garrett wants to put in a tackle and no one seems capable of winning a header in either box. 

For their goal, the attempt at getting to the ball by Gallagher was embarassing. So slow to react and then half hearted when he did.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, booth said:

For their goal, the attempt at getting to the ball by Gallagher was embarassing. So slow to react and then half hearted when he did.

I said this before. When he’s out for long spells people forget how poor he really is. The fact we’ve supposedly turned down a few million pounds for him is insanity 

• Like 1