BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

v Huddersfield Town (h) - 20/01/2024

Agree with someone else who made the point earlier that we looked ok early on, but it went to shit after the Carter injury and subsequent shuffle.

Pleasantly surprised to see that Pears was quite a bit better than Leo - the one save in particular was very good, also came for a late cross when I suspect Leo would have stuck to his line.

Adam W was good for most of the game.
Gallagher did alright, all things considered and JRC looked bright from right back, once we'd changed the system.

In terms of positives, that's about it. We should have lost, and comfortably.
Against one of the worst teams in the entire division.

Disjointed, sloppy, no momentum or willingness to take the game by the scruff of the neck.
Always been a JDT fan whilst he's been here, but feels like we're getting to the stage where we need a change one way or another.

• Like 5

5 hours ago, roversinmyblood said:

Pickering left his man!!

Just flicking back through the comments, if Pickering was marking Helik we're in an even  bigger mess than I thought.

I think, well I'd sincerely hope, he was someone else's man. 

2 hours ago, chaddyrovers said:

I always look at everything positive. Let's me 

Let you? I can't exactly stop you.

There's nothing wrong with a positive mindset, but a balanced one is better.

• Like 2

Ok until they equalised, and then we shrank. Following their equaliser we should really have lost based on Huddersfield having the best 3 chances. 

Important point, but worrying.

17 minutes ago, M_B said:

Just flicking back through the comments, if Pickering was marking Helik we're in an even  bigger mess than I thought.

I think, well I'd sincerely hope, he was someone else's man. 

Final replay does seem to show he was Pickering’s man.

https://www.skysports.com/watch/video/sports/football/13052545/blackburn-rovers-1-1-huddersfield-town-championship-highlights

• Like 2

2 hours ago, booth said:

Without context yes, but is it not a contradiction to blame the manager and players whilst completely acknowledging that the owners shat in our general direction after a decent season, with the same head coach and many of the same players?

Same as when I see people say that no coach/manager could work under these restrictions then say Tomasson needs to go.

No I wouldn't say it is. The owners are shit. They fucked up again. If the manager fails, he was ultimately appointed by the owners and those hired by the owners. If the players aren't good enough, they're the ones the owners signed off on, people the owners appointed scouted and selected, and the owners haven't provided the funding to recruit the better ones we need (or even the numbers, really).

It's entirely congruous to blame all parties, as long as the acknowledgement is made that the owners are the ultimate responsible party for this clusterfuck.

But no it's not a contradiction to see more than one party has flaws, it's just looking at the full picture. I'd argue JDT is less culpable for his failings due to the lack of support in the transfer market of course. His champagne style is being completely undermined - but he has also lacked the tactical acumen to shore up the side of late by using a different style. Today might have been the first shoots of addressing that, even though it only yielded a point.

But the other point you make (no coach could work under this restrictions, but JDT should go) is a bit of a contradiction, not entirely though. For example, it could be someone thinks no manager can bring proper success working under this, but there may be another manager who could achieve better results (ie 12th place rather than what's turning into a relegation fight). Especially since there are signs the players' and manager's heads have dropped. Oftentimes a change sparks a honeymoon period which might at least be enough to make sure we stay up. I'm not advocating that yet, but one can make the argument without it being a contradiction. It's a contradiction if you think the whole reason JDT isn't succeeding is the owners, yet want him to go, but not if you see other issues with him whereby you think another manager could do better (but still not get in the playoffs) under this wanktacular regime.

• Like 7

6 minutes ago, wilsdenrover said:

Don't know,hard to tell, looked  as if Pickering reacted to Helik's run when he realised Helik was unmarked. 

I was more making the point that if he was marking him, then it would be disastrous planning in the first place. 

• Like 3

12 minutes ago, DanielMB said:

There is one part to blame here and thats Venkys. Anyone who thinks otherwise needs a history lesson. End of. Every horrible decision leads back to Pune.

It's them to blame ultimately of course but I don't for the life of me understand the desperation to absolve everyone else from blame.

Do you think they're interested enough to micro manage every single decision from India?

Do you think they ordered Mowbray to spend £5m on Gallagher?

Do you think it was their idea to flog off the training ground bearing in mind Waggott had tried and failed to do exactly the same thing at Coventry?

Do you think they'd heard of Hirst, Ennis, Telaovic and Wahlstedt and said to Broughton "we must sign them?"

4 minutes ago, bluebruce said:

No I wouldn't say it is. The owners are shit. They fucked up again. If the manager fails, he was ultimately appointed by the owners and those hired by the owners. If the players aren't good enough, they're the ones the owners signed off on, people the owners appointed scouted and selected, and the owners haven't provided the funding to recruit the better ones we need (or even the numbers, really).

It's entirely congruous to blame all parties, as long as the acknowledgement is made that the owners are the ultimate responsible party for this clusterfuck.

But no it's not a contradiction to see more than one party has flaws, it's just looking at the full picture. I'd argue JDT is less culpable for his failings due to the lack of support in the transfer market of course. His champagne style is being completely undermined - but he has also lacked the tactical acumen to shore up the side of late by using a different style. Today might have been the first shoots of addressing that, even though it only yielded a point.

But the other point you make (no coach could work under this restrictions, but JDT should go) is a bit of a contradiction, not entirely though. For example, it could be someone thinks no manager can bring proper success working under this, but there may be another manager who could achieve better results (ie 12th place rather than what's turning into a relegation fight). Especially since there are signs the players' and manager's heads have dropped. Oftentimes a change sparks a honeymoon period which might at least be enough to make sure we stay up. I'm not advocating that yet, but one can make the argument without it being a contradiction. It's a contradiction if you think the whole reason JDT isn't succeeding is the owners, yet want him to go, but not if you see other issues with him whereby you think another manager could do better (but still not get in the playoffs) under this wanktacular regime.

Great post.

• Like 1

Just now, M_B said:

Don't know,hard to tell, looked  as if Pickering reacted to Helik's run when he realised Helik was unmarked. 

I was more making the point that if he was marking him, then it would be disastrous planning in the first place. 

I had to watch it a few times but I thought I spotted Pickering ‘grappling’ with Helik and then Helik breaking away from him.

That could be utter bollocks though as I have the eyesight of a modern day referee 😄

I agree entirely that he shouldn’t have been marking him (if indeed he was!!)

Of course there’s loads of shite stealing a living at all levels at this club  - but it is these owners that keep these incompetents in position indefinitely.

Invested owners would never have appointed a Waggott to a CEO position or at least they’d have had him out the door years ago, but in reality he’ll go when he fancies after cleaning the fools out for even more ill gotten dosh. Same goes for the fact they’ve sacked one manager in 8 years and this one won’t be either, he’ll go when he’s had enough or someone offers him a life raft. Not normal, not healthy.

Their very detachment is a major part of why we are in this mess 

• Like 6

4 minutes ago, wilsdenrover said:

I had to watch it a few times but I thought I spotted Pickering ‘grappling’ with Helik and then Helik breaking away from him.

That could be utter bollocks though as I have the eyesight of a modern day referee 😄

I agree entirely that he shouldn’t have been marking him (if indeed he was!!)

Nobody was marking him. The genius with the iPad and the FA Level 2 in coaching goalkeepers course has decided our players are better off standing away from opponents when they have a corner, and marking space instead.

1 minute ago, Miller11 said:

Nobody was marking him. The genius with the iPad and the FA Level 2 in coaching goalkeepers course has decided our players are better off standing away from opponents when they have a corner, and marking space instead.

Yeah, I've only seen it back once or twice, but this is how I saw it.

Gallagher made an attempt to challenge at the last second, but the Huddersfield lad wanted it more (and was given a free run).

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Mattyblue said:

Of course there’s loads of shite stealing a living at all levels at this club  - but it is these owners that keep these incompetents in position indefinitely.

Invested owners would never have appointed a Waggott to a CEO position or at least they’d have had him out the door years ago, but in reality he’ll go when he fancies after cleaning the fools out for even more ill gotten dosh. Same goes for the fact they’ve sacked one manager in 8 years and this one won’t be either, he’ll go when he’s had enough or someone offers him a life raft. Not normal, not healthy.

Their very detachment is a major part of why we are in this mess 

100%.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Angry_Pirate said:

Some thoughts on today.

Rovers were lucky to draw, got away with THREE 2vs1 or 1vs1 counter attacks. 1-4 was a real possibility.

Shout out to the officials who I wouldn't trust to referee an U8's football match. He's the guy that "lost the plot" for the final 20 mins vs Bristol City last month. That's a clear penalty (and by law - maybe a red card). VAR can't come quick enough in this league - 12 hopeless idiots every weekend.

Always harsh and rash to judge a player on debut (Rudy Gestede - who was there today - being one!), but Chrisene was pure garbage in all facets. Szmodics was poor. Garrett (after MOTM last week) was ineffective and lasted far too long. 

The "tactics" after the final subs were BEGGING for a Huddersfield winner. Why? 

Sorba Thomas (those booing him was nonsense - glad the applause took over) was the best player on the pitch. I remember him drilling every cross low when at us, and I couldn't understand why, showed today he knows how to play.

The irony of going to back 5, and then having two of them gain serious injuries.

Final shout out to Huddersfield "Football in a library" Town, who came to Ewood and sang that chant (at least) 7 times. Though our home fans mainly only sing about Burnley, so who am I to comment.

Can't wait for the next 3. 😳

What chants do you get going ?

Feel free

15 minutes ago, Miller11 said:

Thanks.

How long will it be before he realise his plans aren’t  working?

• Like 1

47 minutes ago, RevidgeBlue said:

It's them to blame ultimately of course but I don't for the life of me understand the desperation to absolve everyone else from blame.

Do you think they're interested enough to micro manage every single decision from India?

Do you think they ordered Mowbray to spend £5m on Gallagher?

Do you think it was their idea to flog off the training ground bearing in mind Waggott had tried and failed to do exactly the same thing at Coventry?

Do you think they'd heard of Hirst, Ennis, Telaovic and Wahlstedt and said to Broughton "we must sign them?"

Why are you so fixated with a transfer from 4 and a half years ago?

Mowbray signed 3 strikers in 12 months for a combined 15m. The money overall IMO was well spent, one scored loads and generated a massive profit that wasnt reinvested. Another scored loads and should have generated another big fee but said owners stopped it. The third was undoubtedly overpriced, hardly a total failure as an average Championship striker but not worth that fee.

You have ignored my post explaining how they have not funded a reasonable fee for a striker since despite selling Armstrong and blocking the potential for further fees for Brereton and Rothwell that have raised over 10m but should have raised over 20m.

We shouldnt (and arent because of that one deal) be hamstrung because a signing we made 5 years ago hasnt been an unqualified success.

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, wilsdenrover said:

We’ve conceded more set piece goals (12) than any other team 

Only QPR (2) have scored fewer set piece goals than us (3).

Sorry mate, these stats are irrelevant when you compare them with Kaminski saying he was a great bloke.

Benson and Pongo Lowe, the Morecambe and Wise of football coaching.

• Like 1