BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

Rugby world cup final

Blueboy Downunder

- Don't you just cringe during the football World Cups or Euro Championships, when non-supporters start giving it large about footy when they blatently have no prior knowledge of the game. These bandwagon riders are doing the same with rugby.

not at all like you jumping on a bandwagon every time we get beat ....but how hes he a good manager if we get 1/2 way.

WELL DONE ENGLAND NOT A UNION MAN BUT FAIR DO'S THE BOYS DONE US PROUD.

I hate to go on about this but you brought it up.

You've obviously missed the subtlety of my point.

After beating Everton - I was prepared to say that Souness may actually turn things around and perhaps my calls for his head were premature.

BUT at no point did I say that he had suddenly become a great manager. I still think Souness is holding onto the job by his fingernails and if we lose against Spurs - he's got to go.

• Replies 271
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

- Don't you just cringe during the football World Cups or Euro Championships, when non-supporters start giving it large about footy when they blatently have no prior knowledge of the game. These bandwagon riders are doing the same with rugby.

not at all like you jumping on a bandwagon every time we get beat ....but how hes he a good manager if we get 1/2 way.

WELL DONE ENGLAND NOT A UNION MAN BUT FAIR DO'S THE BOYS DONE US PROUD.

I hate to go on about this but you brought it up.

You've obviously missed the subtlety of my point.

After beating Everton - I was prepared to say that Souness may actually turn things around and perhaps my calls for his head were premature.

BUT at no point did I say that he had suddenly become a great manager. I still think Souness is holding onto the job by his fingernails and if we lose against Spurs - he's got to go.

I get the feeling you are actually hoping we lose to Spurs.

Spot on. Although this WC has not attracted the masses who appear when the nation is gripped by the 'we're going to win it' hysteria, every two years.

Blimey. Do you get that a lot in Northern Ireland?

rover6, would it be right to say that the same banter that had your blood level rising, and cursing this messageboard and its members, in relation to the official one... has now got you hooked on this site? Lot of fun isn't it  :D

- Well done England. I just wish the media could leave it at that. BUt no, they have to start calling for Woodward to be knighted - a ridiculous thought considering the paucity of competition throughout the world. And, besides, people should IMO be honoured AFTER they've retired.

I don't agree with the retirement bit, basically it would be saying 'Ok, you're over the hill now, we can finally recognise your achievement'.

As a manager he has done more for English sport than anyone in the last 37 years.  I suppose it's Ok for Bobby Robson getting knighted because he doesn't feel like retiring at 70, or Ferguson for winning Championships at club level, but not Clive eh :sarc:

I'm glad someone brought this up as I was going to mention something about it, although my stance is the complete opposite of this post.

Whether someone follows the sport or not, they are supporting their country.  Anybody who tries to make people feel out of place for showing national pride should be ashamed of themselves.  I'm not suggesting you are this type of person, but using the collective phrase 'non-supporters' for people who don't particularly follow club football but want their country to succeed leads me to believe you may well be...

Firstly let me congratulate the English Rugby team in becoming the World Champions, the Australian Team for making it an exciting final, Australia for what appeared to be a well run event and the supporters for acting like civilised human beings whilst supporting their respective teams.

However the after event hipe is now distracting from the success. Yesterday Sky ran a poll asking whether Rugby could become more popular than football. Around 60% said yes.

Lets get this into perspective, England won a tournament which in essence is a Commonwealth Event, where were USA, Russia China etc, There are around 6 counties in the top flight who when the play, thrash the remaining oposition out of sight.

Up untill the quarter finals how many people in this country knew the tournament was happening and how many of those are going to stand around in stadia that have no resemblence to premier or even first division grounds. A few years ago rowing was the big thing, ten years ago athletics became fashionable and the decathlon was the big thing.

People are calling for the manager/player etc to be knighted, lets get real, apart from winning a sporting tournament over a few weeks what else have they done. That's their form of employment. Apart from the feel good factor what else have they done for the prosperity and well being of the country.

Yes football managers/players and other sports personalities have recieved honours, but these tend to be awarded after years of success in their respective sport. Redgrave got a knighthood not after his first gold, but after winning his 5th olympic medal.

As I said earlier, well done England but lets cut out all this hipe, football is still the nation's and the Worlds No1 sport.

totally agree that footy is and always will be ours and the worlds number 1 sport.

Russia and china got eliminated in the qualifying rounds prior to world cup and the usa got knocked out in the group phase of the competition. so in fact it aint a commonwealth event becasue all countries that have a rugby team can participate. you just got to be good enough to make the finals stages....on this occasion 2 particular teams were not.

Now lets compare sir bobby robson to the furture sir clive woodward. Bobby robson....not won a euro championship or a world cup and as yet has failed to bring the premier league title to newcastle....has been knighted for what.."doing his job" which is to manage the team he is in charge of.

Sir Clive Woodward - has won the the 6 nations, the pinnacle of european rugby and then takes his team to Australia and comes away with the the world cup -  he should be knighted becasue he has actually won something on the biggest stage of all. exactly the same as Sir Steven Redgrave!!

ROVERS FOREVER

However the after event hipe is now distracting from the success. Yesterday Sky ran a poll asking whether Rugby could become more popular than football. Around 60% said yes.

Alan, the same thing is happening here.

There's talk from the ARU (Rugby Union's Governing Body in Australia), that they will get more people in the non Union states (like Victoria, South Aust and West Aust), to watch and play the game. I can't speak for people in those states, but it wont happen. As much as Rugby Union is an international sport (of course at a minor level compared to Football), Union does not have the same tribalism that in Aussie Rules.

As for the classic Union V League battle (ongoing since 1907), Union will not convert totally the people who watch League. A League supporter would watch only a couple of games of Union a year (only when the Wallabies play), but would never go see a Union game at club level. As a League fan I would never swap watching Souths play at the Sydney Football Stadium with watching Randwick play at Coogee Oval. To start with, I don't have the right school tie.  :laugh:

Will more kids play Union? Maybe, but I doubt it. Football is a relatively safe sport (injury-wise), compared to Union and family wouldn't want little Johnny breaking their collar-bones or getting an even worse injury.

Yesterday Sky ran a poll asking whether Rugby could become more popular than football. Around 60% said yes.

Please ignore those stupid polls - I mean who actually phones in to vote ??

I had Sky Sports News on not so long ago and they were touting one of their pointless polls, and said "let's have a look at the results so far" and up flashed the graphic ... ooh isn't it close - 50 % yes and 50% no.

And as the guy was speaking it changed from 50-50 to 48-52.  From which I inferred the 21st person had just voted.  And that their stupid polls are, as expected, completely irrelevant and a waste of time.

Spot on. Although this WC has not attracted the masses who appear when the nation is gripped by the 'we're going to win it' hysteria, every two years.

Absolute @#/? , both comments that is.

I admitedly don't know much about rugby, and don't follow the domestic game, but does that all of a sudden mean I can't watch and support my country because it might be pecieved as jumping on the bandwagon.

It's about supporting your country in a world event, maybe this point has flown over your heads.

Absolute @#/? , both comments that is.

I admitedly don't know much about rugby, and don't follow the domestic game, but does that all of a sudden mean I can't watch and support my country because it might be pecieved as jumping on the bandwagon.

It's about supporting your country in a world event, maybe this point has flown over your heads.

What you mean when women go to the pub just to see Beckham & Owen

I watched a lot of the rugby at Blackburn Rugby club as a couple of mates play there and when I asked about aspects of the game i didn't understand they explained it to me without talking as if i was stupid. They didn't seem to have a problem with me watching England even though i don't really care about league games.

You have to understand not everyone has your vast knowledge for the game, and therefore may look stupid stood next to you!!!

I for one apologise for supporting my national team whatever the sport.

However , if you point is against those people who make stupid comments just for attention and a reaction without any knowledge, like 99% of Man U fans i agree 100%!!!

Fortunately (and obviously) we don't. Instead we watch from across the water in horrified awe as every man, woman and dog, spirals into a state of uncontrollable and blind expectancy.

I know very little about the intricacies of Union which makes it very frustrating to watch, but it didn't stop me! I watched the game in a pub in Brisbane & had to ask the Aussies to explain some of the things to me & you could tell that even they didn't fully understand all the technicalites of the games rules. Still it was good to beat the arrogant wallabies at there own game, during the build up they kept saying Australia wouldn't win but when the game started they became totally one eyed as to who was the best side. Losing hurt them but the fans were good about it & hands were shook.

Whilst I'm on anybody out there interested in an Australian Rovers supporters branch? If so or even if not then please contact me by private messager. :brfc:

Fortunately (and obviously) we don't. Instead we watch from across the water in horrified awe as every man, woman and dog, spirals into a state of uncontrollable and blind expectancy.

Yawn.

I don't know what your problem is but you obviously have one with England fans.   If you came out of your cubby hole where only media stereotypes penetrate then you might realise that the vast majority do not think we'll win the thing.    The tabloid media whip things up  but in all honesty who actually thought we were going to win 2002?   I certainly didn't and nor did anyone else who actually knew what they were talking about .

As rover6 says it's the non-supporters.   I can see what he'd trying to say, my knowledge of rugby (in any form) is limited but that doesn't mean I can't take an interest.  What I don't do is suddenly become an expert as I find that annoying with football, sure I can marvel at Carlos Spencer flicking the ball through his legs, but I can't give a detailed analysis of NZ's performance man by man.

And after all at least England are actually in Euro 2004 and everyone start's equal :tu:

The tabloid media whip things up  but in all honesty who actually thought we were going to win 2002?   I certainly didn't and nor did anyone else who actually knew what they were talking about .

Well then, I'm not really directing my comment at you am I? ???

I don't 'have a problem with England fans' but I suppose it helps your point.

Just thought I'd bring this back to the top, to annoy jim/doris/john et al.

After a slight hiatus, normal service has resumed down under.

Australia beat Spain 3-1 in the Davis Cup

Australia beat England 5-0 in the Womens Hockey.

I knew you'd want me to share this with you all.

Next thing you'll be mentioning the swimming; yet another sport that the Aussies are good at, that noone else gives a monkey's about.

:sleep:  :sarc:

How quiet things have gone on the rugby front since the competition has finished!  If the pendulum would have swung the other way then we'd still be having presenters dressed in green and gold and 7 would STILL be rerunning the game!

You've got to laugh though!

The lizards have emerged from their mud holes again.

According to a report in the Sunday Times, Tesco have recorded a huge drop in sales of Australian wine because it is made of sour grapes.

And the Sunday Telegraph notes that Sainsbury's say that their range of Aussie wines (or should that be whines?) are going to be sold in future with large helpings of humble pie.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.