Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

Rugby world cup final

Blueboy Downunder

• Replies 271
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

England!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

rugby union world champions. we have beat the aussies twice this year and on their own patch aswell.  the only reason why the aussies start giving it the abusive slagging off of england and everything about us is becasue they "DON'T HAVE THE CLASS" to do it in any other manner.

come on rovers get a point!

ROVERS FOREVER

EVIL 17 GOOD 20

What more is there to say, except well played England,  though it's a pity they didn't win by 20 points, which would have been a fairer reflection of the game.

The silence from convictland is deafening though not unexpected. Ungracious in victory, churlish in defeat, their immaturity and inferiority complex has reached new heights during the rugby World Cup.

EVIL 17 GOOD 20

What more is there to say, except well played England,  though it's a pity they didn't win by 20 points, which would have been a fairer reflection of the game.

The silence from convictland is deafening though not unexpected. Ungracious in victory, churlish in defeat...

Traits brought over the sea by all those bread-stealers long ago, no doubt. ???

EVIL 17 GOOD 20

The silence from convictland is deafening though not unexpected. Ungracious in victory, churlish in defeat, their immaturity and inferiority complex has reached new heights during the rugby World Cup.

I thought George Gregan was very gracious in defeat.

It was a great final at the end of a great tournament.

Thankfully the team that went there billed as the best team in the world return home as world champions.

Be interesting to know what the Aussie press are making of it.

Will we get any credit?

Anyone seen Sydney Rovers?  :p

I'm here, just took me a while to extract my foot from my mouth.

I wasn't the prettiest game ever, but it was one of the most tense games I've seen and the final score reflected the tight nature of the game.

In the end the better team won, the moment Australia went behind on the scoreboard, it was going to take an almighty comeback to win the game. I know towards the end of extra time that every Aussie fans was fearing that Jonny would launch a field goal, thus breaking Australian hearts.

Also Jonny's field goal gave most Aussie fans a flashback to World Cup '95, when Rob Andrews did the same thing to bundle Australia out of the quarter-finals.

As for the Aussie press, they've given England the credit that they rightly deserve, although stuff like this has slipped through. :D

Of course I assume that the English paper will show the kind of restraint that they are so renowned for, wont they? ???

BTW, thanks Blueboy for that email that kindly reminded me of the result.  :(

i could never get into Rugby, the fact you can't though the ball forward like in American Football is too depressing,

i could never get into american 'football.' the fact you don't use your feet always confused me.  :razz:

i could never get into the American football tights

For the information of the World Cup losers:

It's called a dropped goal, not a field goal.

Of excuse me oh wise one, I used the Rugby League phrase instead of the Rugby Union one.

Sorry to disappoint you but they're called drop goals in rugby league.

EVIL 17 GOOD 20

Thankfully the team that went there billed as the best team in the world return home as world champions.

Will we get any credit?

Received plenty of credit. EVERYBODY down here believes that England are worthy champions. And jim, you have a complex, sort it out!!

For the information of the World Cup losers:

It's called a dropped goal, not a field goal.

Of excuse me oh wise one, I used the Rugby League phrase instead of the Rugby Union one.

Sorry to disappoint you but they're called drop goals in rugby league.

Jim, the term field goal is also correct, the commentators on BSkyB were calling it that when they were mentioning the second test of the Great Britian V Australia Rugby League series.

EVIL 17 GOOD 20

Will we get any credit?

Received plenty of credit. EVERYBODY down here believes that England are worthy champions. And jim, you have a complex, sort it out!!

Very kind of you to show such grace.

However, I think that headlines in your press over the last few days have undone you.

"IS THAT ALL YOU'VE GOT ?" about Mr Wilkinson.

What did that rag carry as a headline this morning ?

"sad convicts beaten by one man England" would fit in nicely

"rock breakers rolled over by remarkable right (w)rong foot"

Lots of people lined up to belittle England.  The messages of support from Ireland and Wales were superb gestures.

I hate Rugby though.  so this is irrelevant.  Imagine when we win Euro 2004 and WC 2006 - a real sport that we're all part of.

From what I've seen, everyone from the top down (ie Eddie Jones) have praised England as worthy winners, as the best team in the world.

Most Aussies are satisfied that we took the best team in the world to overtime, but ultimately, weren't good enough on the day.

Best bits of the game for me :

England scoring a try  :p

Watching "Little Johnny Howard" having to give every England player a winner's medal.  THANK YOU CLIVE FOR WIPING THE SMUG GRIN OFF THAT B******* FACE JUST FOR ONCE!!!!!   :D  :D  :D

From what I've seen, everyone from the top down (ie Eddie Jones) have praised England as worthy winners, as the best team in the world.

Most Aussies are satisfied that we took the best team in the world to overtime, but ultimately, weren't good enough on the day.

Best bits of the game for me :

England scoring a try  :p

Watching "Little Johnny Howard" having to give every England player a winner's medal.  THANK YOU CLIVE FOR WIPING THE SMUG GRIN OFF THAT B******* FACE JUST FOR ONCE!!!!!   :D  :D  :D

To be fair to the Australian newspapers (even the dreadful Daily Telegraph, Sydney), most of them have lauded England (although that may be because the final was such a good sporting spectacle). Even the ridiculous Campese was forced to climb down.

What has been unacceptable is the anti-English sentiment in the convict papers since the World Cup started. One of them, in the middle of one particular rant, said English "arrogance" (whatever that is) even  extended to the 19th century field of battle where the British wore redcoats so that the enemy knew we were coming!!

Some of it does have a funny side and some of it may be just tabloid drivel, but alot of it did reveal much about the Australian psyche and its obvious inferiority complex about all things English.

Anyway, I'm glad England won but no one will persuade me otherwise that rugby is a crap sport.

I do like Clive Woodward's attitude though. Anyone who gets up Australian noses must have something going for him and I read somewhere that he is a real footy fan too.

How about Sir Clive to replace Sven when the time comes?

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.