BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Important - Please Read

I'll happily follow suit and set up something as soon as I get the chance to access my internet banking.

Having said that, there are several ways to help I think. Andy C's comment of "I can't believe that anyone using this site can't afford to forsake 1 pint to keep it going" has got me thinking. Last season before every home game, and most away games, I spent atleast £5 on a Rovers related bet. In the whole season, I didnt win once. Next season I may well put this £5 per game to better use, and refrain from gambling when I get the urge. I dare say I'll get a much bigger return from the site long term than I would from winning the odd £20.

• Replies 114
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I should add..

Please think before you post at the moment.. we need to keep the speed up by not processing one liners which say "I agree", or posts on the word asscociation thread.

So what does everyone do, post that they have contributed biggrin.gif Great post be FLB, that is so true.

Right i'm off to decide if i should contribute, then if i decide to i'm going to put a five page add in the Papers to tell the world!!!

I would contribute, but I already do a £5 a month for another site - I'm not willing to pay 120 quid a year for sites that help me pass free time more than anything, sorry.

And on the own server thing - how much does maintenance cost? Surely if you got the server to a state where the site ran hunky-dory, updates and the likes would only be needed bi-anually, and wouldnt be a major problem (I wouldnt say no to a few days downtime a year if it meant getting out of this painfully slow mode of the current time).

Hmm, just re-read that, i dont mean it to sound derogitory, just another option. I dont know JS about server maintenance, so maybe its just a pipe dream.

Mr Kayos - It stands for 'I Can't Believe It's Not Football'. I did it to keep it brief but it doesn't really work if I have to post again to explain it! biggrin.gif

To the mods/admin - of the people who regularly read this site the vast majority do appreciate all the work and effort that is put in behind the scenes. If people are making suggestions to help it doesn't mean they disagree with how it has been done, just that in future in seems like more money will be needed to maintain the site than at present.

Still think the idea of sponsors isn't a bad idea - I know Dr Rich doesn't like it and actually agree with his view but all that matters is if it helps keep the board running.

Edited by FourLaneBlue

The Donate page has a PayPal link on it. This is the ultimate solution for me to get some donations in.

Paul, have you had a chance to relinquish the PayPal account from Lee's control. As you may recall, the last time I tried to donate through it, the payment bounced, so to speak.

Just a suggestion, if PayPal is not an option, it would be a good idea to remove it from the "Donate" page, as this page is now prominent again.

Edited by Shaddy

Have transferred a tenner to the account and set up a standing order.

Considering the unpaid time and effort put in by mods/admin etc. it's the least I could do to help keep the site running.

All the best - Blunder

Paul, have you had a chance to relinquish the PayPal account from Lee's control. As you may recall, the last time I tried to donate through it, the payment bounced, so to speak.

No I haven't done that but the account seems to be dead. Right now I'm having a cup of tea and browsing around trying to find out how to set up a PayPal account............................I wish people wopuld stop saying how simple it is sad.gifsad.gifbiggrin.gif

The site now has a PayPal account biggrin.gif . No excuses now lads smile.gif

Apparently all the info you need is the e-mail address:

admin@brfcs.com

The account may show up with my name on it, we will get this changed later and add a site button at some point.

The site now has a PayPal account biggrin.gif . No excuses now lads smile.gif

admin@brfcs.com

The account may show up with my name on it, we will get this changed later and add a site button at some point.

I always thought that by using PAYPAL -a percentage of the payment was taken out

Can somebody confirm - as if this is the case then surely its better for a S/O to be set up - unless charges are made to the bank account for incoming payments.

Capt.

It is better for the site for you to set up a standing order as paypal does take a small percentage (its about 3-4% now they have a uk system). Paypal is obviously better for the overseas members, as it is an easy way for them to contribute.

Hope that helps

STATUS UPDATE

I've got some space lined up temporarily and just copied a version of the board from last night (hence why site was down)

If all goes to plan, then sometime tomorrow morning i'll disable posting access to this board to everybody except News Editors, Mods and Admin. (And also suspend new registrations)

Once thats done, I will backup the posts, topics and member database from this site. These will then be restored onto the new server, and a new temporary URL issued. This will take around 2 hours

YOU SHOULD THEN UPDATE YOUR BOOKMARKS TO POINT TO THE TEMPORARY SITE, as the link www.brfcs.biz/mb will still refer here until further notice.

News postings however will still be done from the old board (sorry Alan), as the front page will remain on our current hosts. Much of the data on the front page will appear to be out of date because of this.

This should give us time to assess the situation properly and come up with a robust long term solution.

SteB - and the rest of the guys who run this site - Cheers for getting it sorted (even though it may well only be temporary). Your efforts are really appreciated.

Without getting too melodramatic - players come and go at BRFC - it's the fans that make it all happen.

Enjoy Germany SteB (and whoever else is making the trip) - watch out for their lager - terrible kick to it I seem to recall.

I would contribute, but I already do a £5 a month for another site - I'm not willing to pay 120 quid a year for sites that help me pass free time more than anything, sorry.

Parasyte this is from page one of this thread...............

"For something to be elitist - it would suggest that we were pricing people out of the market. This would not be the case if people paid £2 per month on a direct debit.

I can't believe that anyone using this site can't afford to forsake 1 pint to keep it going.

Like Tris says - you really notice when the site goes down.

Lets not just debate this for the next month - if you like the site, then set up your debit for £1 or £2 a month. That's all it takes."

.........I have not seen a suggestion anywhere which is asking members to stump up £5 per month, so I hope that you'll have a rethink and come forward with some sort of contribution. Passing free time is often referred to as a leisure activity and paying for that is quite normal. Going to Ewood, the cinema, bowling, fishing, partaking in sport of any kind, going to the pub / restaurant / for a drive etc etc even reading all cost money so why differentiate in this instance?

You surely aren't intentionally trying to live up to your board name...... are you?

This is by far the best place on the 'net to get Rovers news, reactions etc. So I think it's well worth paying a few quid for. But I'm just a very poor 18 y/o student, so it won't be much. Will probably be sending a check though, as I'm not really sure how bank transfers work from abroad, and I really don't trust PayPal. But hopefully you'll see some money from me soon.

And really good job on getting the boards back in good condition this fast.

I believe it was reading PayPalSucks last year or so that convinced me never to open an account with them. Maybe I'd do it and connect it to an empty account that I transfer money to only when making a paypal payment, but then the whole Paypal thing isn't as quick and easy anymore wink.gif

The site now has a PayPal account  biggrin.gif . No excuses now lads  smile.gif

admin@brfcs.com

I always thought that by using PAYPAL -a percentage of the payment was taken out

Can somebody confirm - as if this is the case then surely its better for a S/O to be set up - unless charges are made to the bank account for incoming payments.

It will always be best to pay money direct to the site. PayPal does take a percentage. On £10 it appears to be around 50p but some many people are looking for the facility to use PayPal that I had to set it up.

Thanks to everyone - I quite like these e-mails that say "You have received money" biggrin.gif

Just a quick comment about parasyte and gordon: it was wrong for parasyte to say what was said. If that's your opinion, fine, but kinda stupid to share it knowing what the backlash will be. That being said, gord's response sums up why I think Dr. Rich is against the sponsor thing. This is a free site, and there shouldn't be any pressure to give or not. If you can give and want to, then give. If you can't or don't, then don't. No need to make public either way and no need for everyone to slam you and pressure you if you don't.

Donation on its way

It's worth it just to read the hilariously misguided views of so many while the few sensible people are shouted down.

Also for all the fun I've had on here over the years. (before Souey)

Edited by Jan

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.