BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Arsenal 3 Rovers 0

At least we have the best dressed manager in the league
.... perhaps, but, how long before Graeme joins Sturrock?

For once I must throw my lot in with Oklahoma... Where's the Arte???

we show no creativity---and we won't playing with 6 in the back... but not having witnessed today's throttling... I'll hold my tongue. But just from the stat sheet, it would appear that GS went into Highbury to hold the result- if that's the case, maybe he should have had all XI rovers hanging from the crossbar to assist Brad.

but at St Mary's it was more of the same.... playing by the numbers- predictable stuff. Rovers just don't possess enough talent in the build up-

I see Tugay without a partner in midfield, someone that will assist him break down defenses.... a Dunny in his day. -

Anyway,... just venting... it sux to see Rovers propping up the table so early- I just wish I could be @ Ewood to shout them on come the weekend.

rover.gif

Edited by blue/white

• Replies 381
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

There's a reason Gally is out of favour, part of the same reason Flitcroft is.

I'm not stupid enough to post it on here though.

That's a bit ambiguous and mysterious...

A couple of points:

1.) For those of you upset that we lost to a "weak" Arsenal side, get over it. Fabregas may be 17 but by all accounts he's been as composed as a 30 year old so far this year; Cygan can't be forced into mistakes if we're not applying pressure; and Pennant is certainly a better attacking midfielder than anyone we have (with the possible exceptions of Ferguson and Thommo). If those are the weak links in your side (and you still have Henry, Pires, Reyes and company) then you'd have to be insane to call your side weak.

2.) I'm going to give Souness the benefit of the doubt with his team selection this game. Matteo, from all accounts, should never play midfield again... but other than that, what else can you hope to do against Arsenal except pack the midfield and defense and hope to throw enough bodies in their passing lanes? Souness should be criticized if these crazy-ass formations continue against Newcastle, Pompey, Charlton, etc. (i.e. games that are actually winnable).

3.) Cheer up everyone. Maybe we played well tonight, maybe we didn't. All I know is that no one in England seems to be able to play with Arsenal at the moment, so it's no use crying over points that were never ours for the taking anyway. Man U and Newcastle, whilst still high-quality sides, aren't in the same class as Arsenal right now (especially Newcastle with their poor play of late), and thus the matches against them present an opportunity to grab some surprise points.

Dont they normally answer questions on Rovers to (who will be Rovers biggest threat against Arsenal)  huh.gif

Our biggest threat will probably be Jens Lehmann. If he goes all butterfingery like he has before we may just nick a goal.

I'll go 3-0 Arsenal and that's not being negative just realistic. That's why it is so vital that we get something from the Southampton match.

Did I say Southampton match???

Meant the United match...that's it United...we definitely need something on Saturday.

They may be United but hey...they ain't no Arsenal now are they?

We were abysmal tonight and looked as if we didn't care.

I hope you're wrong Jan but I suspect not. Are there any indications that Souness has lost the players?

At the end of last season the manager said he'd address the defence as that's where our problems were.

So why is the personnel at the back the same as it was last season?

I have absolutely no problem with us losing to Arsenal, in fact I think we played ok in the first half. Second half was shambolic but Souness can't suddenly expect the same back four that performed so poorly last season to now have improved sufficiently over the summer to make last year's problems a thing of the past. The signing of Matteo seemed to be his solution but we'll never know if he keeps slotting him into midfield.

The clock is ticking on Souey's reign, he has to get it right over the next four games or he will be gone. No question.

Oh a final footnote - I've been waiting and waiting for him to finally prove me wrong but tonight is a watershed for Brett Emerton. Brett, you are totally and utterly clueless.

its funny, Radio Rovers Commentators were saying Brett was playing well first half.

As for the defence - the quicker Amo gets back the better - mainly for his distribution and the fight he gives the team.

Believe it or not, i think Amo makes us play as a better team - even though i get slight heart palpatations defending wise

its funny, Radio Rovers Commentators were saying Brett was playing well first half.

By his usual standards I guess he did play 'ok', nothing more than that though. He's still terrified of the touchline.

blink.gif

you taking the ###### dave?

his corners were diabolical, his cut back for shorts acrobatic shot was nothing short of a ###### disgrace, i could do better.

sooner hes dropped the better

p.s. did u go heys

Paul, please don't quote Jan as if she's any authority on the Rovers performance last night - she has her own agenda & will twist the facts any way possible to further her Souness out cause... I was looking for you Jan, but never saw you

I was at the game last night, & Soton & WBA and I have never heard any calls for Souness to go, not once..... Strange that most of the people calling for his head can't be bothered to turn up for the games

We had an excellent first half at Arsenal, and came in the better side. Unluckily for us Lehman had an excellent first half & even more unlucky was that when Arsenal stepped up a gear we couldn't live with them - we won't be the last club that happens to this season.

I will agree that we do have some failings - Matteo - I didn't like what I saw vs WBA, he was anonymous against the Saints, it's just a shame he wasn't anonymous last night - his back-pass to Nissa last night was dreadful esp since the nearest Arsenal player was Henry. But one of the failings isn't Emerton - I thought he had another good game last night, causing all kinds of problems down the right wing.

Last night we weren't beaten by tactics, team selection or players that "didn't care" we were beaten by an awasome Arsenal side that were simply, in a different class - We'll do them at Ewood though

Paul, please don't quote Jan as if she's any authority on the Rovers performance last night - she has her own agenda & will twist the facts any way possible to further her Souness out cause... I was looking for you Jan, but never saw you

I was at the game last night, & Soton & WBA and I have never heard any calls for Souness to go, not once..... Strange that most of the people calling for his head can't be bothered to turn up for the games

We had an excellent first half at Arsenal, and came in the better side. Unluckily for us Lehman had an excellent first half & even more unlucky was that when Arsenal stepped up a gear we couldn't live with them - we won't be the last club that happens to this season.

I will agree that we do have some failings - Matteo - I didn't like what I saw vs WBA, he was anonymous against the Saints, it's just a shame he wasn't anonymous last night - his back-pass to Nissa last night was dreadful esp since the nearest Arsenal player was Henry. But one of the failings isn't Emerton - I thought he had another good game last night, causing all kinds of problems down the right wing.

Last night we weren't beaten by tactics, team selection or players that "didn't care" we were beaten by an awasome Arsenal side that were simply, in a different class - We'll do them at Ewood though

Jimbo we were ###### face it

They can't have mentioned his corner taking then.

First half most of them played ok, but believe me he was awful second half. You should have heard the ironic cheer in the pub when he actually beat a man in the second half...and promptly gave the ball away.

The man has absolutely nothing in his locker, not a carrot.

By his usual standards I guess he did play 'ok', nothing more than that though. He's still terrified of the touchline.

blink.gif

his corners were diabolical, his cut back for shorts acrobatic shot was nothing short of a ###### disgrace, i could do better.

p.s. did u go heys

I was being slightly sarcastic which is why I said 'by his usual standard', I think he completed 1 pass in the 1st half.

In fact Craig Short showed more ability to beat a man than Emerton with his cheeky drop of the shoulder which resulted in him being hacked down.

Yes I did, quite a few in last night.

blink.gif

p.s. did u go heys

I was being slightly sarcastic which is why I said 'by his usual standard', I think he completed 1 pass in the 1st half.

In fact Craig Short showed more ability to beat a man than Emerton with his cheeky drop of the shoulder which resulted in him being hacked down.

was a top run by short! till he got took out

i was in near big screen with old blue away top on

was well busy

We weren't ******** last night - they were better - - it happens sometimes, you play a team and they beat you, not because you played badley, but because they were better

How were we in the first two games Jimbo? Or most of the games last season, especially the home ones? Were they all better teams?

Arse were awesome last night...just as they were against Boro. They do not panic when under pressure and are the best counter attacking team in the Premier League. They waited for us to cock up...as they knew we would under pressure, and then tore us apart !!

It would have been great to see Rovers get a result but surely no one expected a Rovers win last night...a draw would have been an excellent result, but as soon as they scored I knew that was the end...although it would have been interesting had we got a penalty when Dickov went down in the box with 10 mins to go.

I have to agree some of the views on Emerton...He has the pace but nothing to go with it. Some of his corners were terrible and his movement off the ball was as bad as ever.

Souey's tactics seemed better last night (thank god he played Dickov from the start), but I still don't agree with playing 6 defenders...even if we were playing Arse. Is it a case of Souey playing all his favourites or have we got the so many injuries that we cannot field a side with players playing in their natural positions ??

I don't want to sound too defeatist but I suspect more of the same on Saturday !!!

It wasn't schoolboy defending for the 3rd goal - it was a terrible back-pass from Matteo that went well wide of Nissa and in a foot race with Henry there was always going to be only one winner - an excellent save by Brad almost saved the day but noit quite

The 2nd was schoolboy defending - Matteo let his man get away from him & Gilberto did the rest (well Fabregas did)

Scotty - We were the better team by far against the Saints - two mistakes in defense were capitalised on & they cost us dear

Against WBA, again I think we were the better side, esp. in the 2nd half - I'm sure Megson was a lot happier with the result than we were - I know the Baggies fans I was chatting to walking up Livsey certainly were

Last season I can't comment on - I missed the whole season barring the first & last games after having major surgery on my knee

blink.gif

p.s. did u go heys

was a top run by short! till he got took out

i was in near big screen with old blue away top on

was well busy

Bit sad when your aging centre-half produces the brightest bit of skill for your team all game though eh? sad.gif

I was sat in the main set of seats facing the big screen with the usual suspects. Half of Ossy must have been in there last night cool.gif

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.