BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Arsenal 3 Rovers 0

I wouldn't have felt so bad had freaking Gilberto not been one of the scorers.

He wasnt..

pardon me.

goals from,Thierry Henry in the 50min, Gilberto Silva on 58min and Reyes in the 79 min.

Fabergas (or however it's spelt) apparently touched it in just before the line.

• Replies 381
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Nice to see you've seen the light.

In fairness i've never denied the problems that are there I think I've just hoped Souness would turn them around. Clearly I don't always post my most negative thoughts on here but those who talk to me know my thoughts.

I am very depressed right now but will continue to go because I do enjoy it and meet a good bucnh of lads and Scotty wink.gif

Keep the faith fellas. We won't go down but I still want and expect better than that.

just back from the game and a bit of a tale of 2 halves.

first half - we looked pretty solid. we had a job to do which was defend deep and work very hard for each other whilst trying to hit them on the break.

it worked for the first half and although arsenal passed the ball around very well - there wasn't the usual panic in the rovers defence.

i've not really stood up for nissa before, but today I thought he was excellent. his positioning and control were excellent and looked very self assured.

i quite liked gresko at left midfield - we really should have used him more there last season! although he isn't a flying winger - he did his job very well supporting grey, whilst also offering an attacking outlet.

emerton - thought he played well today. he's up against one of the best left sided players in the country, but on quite a few occasions beat them both. his end ball wasn't always great, but it seems that his confidence is slowly returning.

mateo - go back to leeds. average player who is not improving the team. i'd much rather see douglas given a go. how many times did he simply lose the ball?

tugay - played well and ran a hell of a lot. covered more ground than usual and although he gave it away a couple of times - was pretty good on the whole.

stead - some very nice control from our usual hoofing up field, but still looks a little light weight.

On the whole - what did people expect? we contained them for the first half and the crowd and players were starting to get tetchy. its just a shame we didnt hold out for longer than 5 mins in the 2nd half. need to see the goal again, but didn't we have 2 defenders marking henry?

i guess that what makes him world class.

i'd keep the same team, but replace mateo for fergie in the next game.

People who are saying that Souness doesn't give youth a chance are just spouting rubbish.

Gallagher may be out of favour now, but he was brought through by Souness, same with McEvely, Dunn, Douglas and Danns. It's crucial that youth players are brought in at the right time, not too soon so that they don't have their confidence smashed, and not too late so that you can get them in the team for as long as possible. So far I think Souness hasn't really lost marks concerning younger players, his selection policy at the moment is odd, but not because he isn't adding young players to it.

watched the match at heys inn

good first half, but the second half was bad if not very bad

people have been saying we needed another forward, I think not, we need a very good center half who can lead the defence.

first goal center halfs facing the wrong way, no one near the forward, no one tried to make it hard for him to score.

second goal once again two players on the box and no one marking them

third goal a bad back pass and its good night

Yes we play a very good side tonight and the first half was good, but you cannot gave away soft/bad goals and it has to stop, and quick

second hald stead goes off yorkie comes on and we play long high balls. why? I do not mind the long ball game but you have to have players who are good in the air and we do have thren in paul D and Yorkie, and as such the ball kept on being given away. not a wise thing to do against any team

should GS go, at the monment I am in the do not know camp, todate I have always defended him, but the midfield was poor today, and that is any team is the heart beat of it.

for me he should play a 3-5-1-1 away from home

and a 3-5-2 at home this means that the team can attack and defend in numbers, but the right players haave to play in the correct postions

well lets see what happens on saterday rolleyes.gif

I wouldn't have felt so bad had freaking Gilberto not been one of the scorers.

He wasnt..

pardon me.

goals from,Thierry Henry in the 50min, Gilberto Silva on 58min and Reyes in the 79 min.

Fabergas (or however it's spelt) apparently touched it in just before the line.

Yep he did. Hit his knee and changed direction. The player on the line (I think it was Gray) may well have saved it otherwise.

oops got my details off radio com, I stand corrected, my appologies.

BBC Site.

Eight minutes later a corner from Henry was met by a powerful Gilberto header, with the ball touching Fabregas' knee on the way into the net.

To be honest Im getting more and more frustrated by the team selection. At the moment I couldnt care less who scored, Arsenal got three well deserved goals against a team with no creative ability.

I didnt expect a win tonight, but even a blind man with a sack over his head could see the lack of creativety in our team.

I have been very patient, but Im getting to the point of no return with Souness's team selection, there are so many things running through my head about the way that he has ripped any creative ability out of the team that I think its best that I let the dust settle before commenting further.

Fabregas was clearly the goalscorer on the 2-0 goal, he tapped it in with his knee from Gilberto's header.

Can't understand how some of you can say that Emerton was shockingly bad today, that's probably the worst thing I've heard all week. (and I've heard that Fulham has captured Gamst ! laugh.gif )

Also, Krislu, who played out of position today?

Matteo? Okay, fair enough, but he HAS played there before and done a job defensively at least - I'm sure he won't play against United !

And Gresko played left wing, not centre midfield! That was just to fit De Pedro in the last few minutes... Gresko did ok btw, helped to keep Pennant out of the game, and also Lauren's attacking possibilities were very limited.

EDIT: It was Gresko standing on the line on Fabregas' goal I think...

Also, I don't agree with you on the lack of creativity, Alan, the first half we created some good chances and in the second half we were basically overplayed by the fantastic Arsenal. We could need a more creative soul in the middle of the field, but getting Fergie back will help, I think. Also, Gresko played left wing mostly to help defensively if you ask me, which he did nicely. Getting Gamst or De Pedro in there will boost our creativity!

Edited by herbergeehh

Just back from the match. Sitting with my friend who didn't despise Souness as much as I do: Main points to note, which we both concur on:

1) The ref was fair. He made 3 bad decisions against us and 2 against them.

2) Emerton is not, and will never be, a premiership footballer. He should be sent on loan to a Division 2 side to see where his bread's buttered.

3) We looked ok in the first half because they were nervous about the record. As soon as they came out for the second half, they stepped from first gear to about 3rd. They could have scored at will after that.

4) Matteo is not, and will never be, a midfielder.

5) Gresko and Gray as a left side combination, worked. We told you that last season Mr Souness. Please believe us all now.

6) Emerton and Neill- UGH!!!

7) Nissa looked quite accomplished * note that I will take that back if it was his back-pass that let Reyes in for their third goal, but I think it was Matteo

8) They brought on Reyes and Ljungberg, we brought on Yorke and De Pedro. SO not fair.

My friend is now wholly in the Souness out camp. To be fair there weren't many there tonight who didn't come away feeling like that. We were abysmal tonight and looked as if we didn't care.

Edited by Jan

I'm pretty sure, on the past two games performances, that we will start with Fergy and Tugay in midfield on saturday. Clearly a much more sensible option, but not exactly an option today. If we could get MGP or De Pedro to fit in and play left mid, Emerton to be replaced by Thommo then yes, it does look better for the immediate future. And if Souness is prepared to play Gresko ahead of Flitcroft, Douglas etc in central midfield, I would welcome the signing of Coridon, even if I've never seen him play.

Just back from the game myself.

Totally enjoyed the first half, second was one to forget.

I pretty much agree with other comments. Emerton needs putting out of his misery. Bloody awful at crossing and fell over the ball too often. Even got a small cheer from the fans late in the second half when he tried to confuse Ashley Cole by doing a french jig over the ball. I think he then passed it short to someone thus putting them under pressure.

Souness needs shooting for his constant mis-use of Domonic "I'm rubbish in midfield" Matteo.

Why bring Yorke on for Stead?

Dickov was great again, running everywhere and making a nusance. Yet again had a good shout for a penalty.

The Ref was usless and quite rightly had chants of "Are you D'Urso in disguise".

Got to add, I think de Pedro did some very nice accurate crossing when he came on. If he can get match fit and carry that on, we may actually get some good service for the strikers. Just need to get rid of Emerton now.

Edited by Biddy

We were abysmal tonight and looked as if we didn't care.

Nothing new there then.

One thing I was hoping for this season was a better attitude from the players but the first three games have demonstrated that little has changed from last term.

I was mildly optimistic before the start of the season but it is obvious even at this early stage that we are facing another relegation battle.

One point out of possible nine and a buoyant ManU to come. Lady Luck certainly isn't on our side, is it Graeme?

Watched the game,and I gotta say we are playing TOO MANY players out of position,especially Matteo,he is useless in central midfield!Cant pass,doesnt even tackle or get stuck in,we are just being vulnerable in that area.

Tugay worked so hard today.Our attack ran all night.Gresko was average but it seems he was put there for a defensive job.Emerton Id say was useless today,he gets the ball runs well then either ruins the cross or loses the ball halfway or runs out of options.

At the end,Arsenal wasnt all that,its just that they had more quality all around.We didnt have one player on the pitch who could make a difference like their players.Almost all workmanlike players.

I hope MGP can spark something.

Souness,Im running out of patience now,Id say two defeats against Scum and the other Scum and he could be out.

Our performance wasnt more than a 5.Now if only we had gotten 4 points out of the first two games,we wouldnt care about today.

Class.

Pace.

Power.

The Manager.

The Tactics.

And more importantly............

TEAM SPIRIT.

Arsenal have it all, by FAR the most complete team the premiership has ever, ever seen. Rather than slag Rovers off I'd rather give credit to Arsenal on this thread.

Fabregas is gonna be a star, same applies to Reyes, to be honest I think Wenger could turn Grabbi into a world beater, how does he do it?

End of the day we must aim to kill united off in the first half and we ARE capable.

Fabregas is gonna be a star, same applies to Reyes, to be honest I think Wenger could turn Grabbi into a world beater, how does he do it?

Well, for one he teaches his players how too excel at what they are best at, but most importantly gives them faith in their own ability and gives them CONFIDENCE.

He also seems to know exactly how his team are meant to play, and never sways from his beliefs. He's a man on a mission.

Well, for one he teaches his players how too excel at what they are best at, but most importantly gives them faith in their own ability and gives them CONFIDENCE.

He also seems to know exactly how his team are meant to play, and never sways from his beliefs. He's a man on a mission.

That's true enough mate.

I know he'll never manage Rovers but I'd love the FA to persuade him to take the England job one day. But then that's just dreaming sad.gif

MATTEO AND NISSA MUST NOT START NEXT GAME... IN ANY POSITION.

Both were sluggish, and did they not get in each others way>?

When the hell is out first win coming from?

WE MUST HAVE GALLY AS A SUB TO COME ON MR SOUNESS. I've had just about enough of this falling out with players nonsence, get a grip man.

We must start like this:

FRIEDEL

NEILL SHORT AMORUSO GRAY

THOMPSON FERGUSON TUGAY DE PEDRO

STEAD DICKOV

On the bench: Gally, Yorke (trying in 1 game is not good enough tho), Matteo (just), Emerton, - A. N Other....

If we are to get this Pedersen...(and lets hope he's an improvement on Tore and Per!) then perhaps he!

We need a reliable defender. Why did we not set our stall out for one after the disaster than was last season, and the ensuing disaster that is this. He gets Matteo plays him in midfield. The guy is poor, and has added nothing.

Thanks for that. huh.gif

Aherm, the game, yes. It's all well saying that there isn't any shame in losing to an unstoppable-looking Arsenal side - and there isn't - but with only one point on the board and two similarly (but not quite) so difficult games on the horizon, the team could well end up in a rut that it'll be very hard to get out of when we eventually face off against more modest opposition. It promises to be long couple of weeks - but hopefully not months....please. tinykit.gif

Iv just watched the highlights on football first (what an excellent program btw). We were lucky to get away with a few bad mistakes at the opening - nissa in particular was at blame.

Otrherwise the first half was fairly good but we just didnt have any width, as usual and there was no creativity. The chances we made were good but if I remember correctly, one was from a corner.

As usual Tugay worked hard but i just didn't see the performence many of you saw in him. He just didn't provide the creativity we needed.

Dickov and Stead worked well together but just didn't have the service. Gray made a few defensive errors and Matteo did very little. His distribution was poor and he created nothing.

Second half was just awful. He played so deep it was untrue. What good is Tugay when hes playing in his own half the whole game with just Dickov infront of him?

First goal was a supreme ball and i don't think we could have done much about it - maybe short could have stuck out a leg.

Second goal was awful defending by Matteo when he just missed the ball on the corner.

Third goal was again a useless mistake from Matteo.

Matteo was useless, Gresko offered little going forward and while I don';t think Emerton did much wrong, he did manage to run straight into arsenal players a few times. Tuag ywas too deep to offer anything.

I can't put my finger on what was wrong, but the whole midfield just seemed... wrong. No width and no creativity and Matteo was useless. Perhaps with Fergy and Tugay in midfeild, and De Pedro on the wing we will have the creativity. The second half saw no Rovers chances.

Im getting fed up with Souness formations and poor tactics but it really is hard to hate a man that looks so damned cool; the hair, the suit, the shirt buttons undone - he looked the man. ph34r.gif

I am just repeating what everyone else has said but I need to.

Matteo played in a 5 man midfield at Leeds when they were desperate and scrapping for their lives. I would like to think we are not like that- remember Eddie Gray saying he should be used at centre back not midfield if can be helped. Please realise this Souey... his passing is sh*t, really really sh*t. The only time he breaks down moves is by fouling. Bascially stop f**king playing centre midfield or midfield at all. Surely even our new assistant manager or Deano can point this out to him!!! We now surely have the options not to have to play him in midfield.

As for tonights match- did ok first half but still dont think our midfield create enough- should change with Fergie, Thommo, MGP and Corridon.

Also think maybe Stead should be rested, I would like to see Jansen with Dickov but then again I am dreaming.

At least we have the best dressed manager in the league tinykit.gif

Very worrying that home-grown players aren't given more of a chance.

I've heard whisperings that there's been a bust-up between Gally and Souness - any truth?

If thats the case than I rather see Souness leave, I've had more than enough with good players leaving the club because they dont get along with Graeme!

Remind me again who those GOOD players were.

Dunn

Duff

Cole

Todd - not a star but a hell of alot better than Johansson

Duff was SOLD not because he did not get along with Souness, Cole and Dunn the jury is very much out on those two my friend. In my opinion Souness was right to ride their arses 100%.

Todd? solid last year sort of but if you are told by the boss you are on the pine then you are on the pine, not Souness' fault he can't handle it.

Like I asked you who are the GOOD players.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.