BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

Gamst Pedersen

krislu

MGP really impressed me on his debut. He is strong, looks good on the left, races back to help the defence and gets into the penalty area to win headers. I was at the game, on the riverside so dont know what he looked like on TV. OK, so he missed a sitter that would have made it 2-0 but I still rate him a great player after seeing him once.

More MGP for me, please tinykit.gif

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I though he was drifting into the centre a bit much for my liking, but its his first game, hope he gets to start against Newcastle as well..

Any news on why Thompson had to leave the pich so early, please dont tell me its his knee again?! sad.gif

Yeah it wasn't his knee. Looked to be slightly above his ankle. And he played on for a few more minutes afterwards so I don't think it's serious. Maybe just a few days rest. Although he only played for 16 minutes or so, he was very invisible during that time sad.gif

Thompson was clattered from behind by Kleberson. No yellow card - too early in the game for the ref? Thompson's ankle took the brunt and off he had to go. Later Kleberson did get booked.. which should have been his second yellow and a sending off.

Why do refs hardly ever give a yellow in the first 20 minutes? Where in the rules does it say "Ref to be lenient during first 20 minutes (especially if it's a Manure player)"

Terrible refereeing yet again steals points from us.

I though he was drifting into the centre a bit much for my liking, but its his first game, hope he gets to start against Newcastle as well..

I think that was a specific tactic. Souness wants the midfield to play narrow, with the thinking being it makes the team more solid defensively.

He also missed a sitter which would have won us the game!!!! mad.gif

But he did at least put effort in

It would not have won the game, if we had scored a second the ref would have found a way to make sure the reds got a penalty, or he would have found a way to disallow the goal.

I think that was a specific tactic. Souness wants the midfield to play narrow, with the thinking being it makes the team more solid defensively.

I hate that, in my book its "attack wide, defend narrow". When going forward the wingers should stay wide, and when played the centre midfield pair and the strikers should do everything to get into the box..

I hate it when wingers cut inside to much, just hate it.. mad.gif

Edited by krislu

I hate that, in my book its "attack wide, defend narrow". When going forward the wingers should stay wide, and when played the centre midfield pair and the strikers should do everything to get into the box..

I hate it when wingers cut inside to much, just hate it.. mad.gif

True, there were several instances, especially in the second half, where he was tucked in to the old inside left position instead of being out wide.

I am sure he found the pace of the game bewildering against difficult opposition but given time I think he'll adjust.

He played the full 90 (or should I say 94) minutes which was also helpfull.

Thompson was clattered from behind by Kleberson. No yellow card - too early in the game for the ref? Thompson's ankle took the brunt and off he had to go. Later Kleberson did get booked.. which should have been his second yellow and a sending off.

Why do refs hardly ever give a yellow in the first 20 minutes? Where in the rules does it say "Ref to be lenient during first 20 minutes (especially if it's a Manure player)"

Terrible refereeing yet again steals points from us.

Then not long before half time, the whistle went for offside against one of the MU players, the ball ran to Kleberson who carried on running through before shooting (well wide). Bookable offence (which would have therefore been a sending off)? Dear me no, he wears red and white.

Souness on Pedersen (LET)

A few points to make:

(1)The inevitable bewildering comment from Souness in that article:

Souey claims that Damien Duff type wingers are a luxury and not wanted by managers. huh.gif NO SOUEY - you may not like dribbling-type wingers but a lot do, like Alex Ferguson and Jose Mourinho, who, unsurprisingly, have been more successful than you.

(2) The much maligned Dean Saunders and Tony Darracott (aka Grabbi fan) scouted MGP. We can rest assured that the guy is a great player...

And

(3) Take note of the crucial role Stig played in the scouting! Highly knowledgeable or what?

Edited by rover6

A few points to make:

Souey claims that Damien Duff type wingers are a luxury and not wanted by managers. huh.gif NO SOUEY - you may not like dribbling-type wingers but a lot do, like Alex Ferguson and Jose Mourinho, who, unsurprisingly, have been more successful than you.

(2) The much maligned Dean Saunders and Tony Darracott (aka Grabbi fan) scouted MGP. We can rest assured that the guy is a great player...

And

(3) Take note of the crucial role Stig played in the scouting! Highly knowledgeable or what?

Wrong. Mourinho clearly doesn't beleive that Duff is as good as we do, otherwise he would be starting every chelsea game, and although you may say he is injured, im quite sure he won't be doing from now on, either.

The fact that these players cost £17mil. (Duff), £12.25mil. (Ronaldo), £12mil. (Robben) makes them seem a luxury to me.

MGP - Didn't look as great a player as I had belived he would be I expected rightly or wrongly a full on left winger and was a little disapointed and yes before anyone starts lets give the kid a chance first game big move new team etc ........ but I just hope we have got this signing right.

A few points to make:

And

Can you tell us all how Alan Mahon your ex boyfriend is doing at wigan cool.gif

Souey claims that Damien Duff type wingers are a luxury and not wanted by managers.  huh.gif  NO SOUEY - you may not like dribbling-type wingers but a lot do, like Alex Ferguson and Jose Mourinho, who, unsurprisingly, have been more successful than you.

The fact that these players cost £17mil. (Duff), £12.25mil. (Ronaldo), £12mil. (Robben) makes them seem a luxury to me.

Errr no.

You've just proved that they are scarce but highly sought after by managers who know what they're doing.

Souey claims that Damien Duff type wingers are a luxury and not wanted by managers.  huh.gif  NO SOUEY - you may not like dribbling-type wingers but a lot do, like Alex Ferguson and Jose Mourinho, who, unsurprisingly, have been more successful than you.

Errr no.

You've just proved that they are scarce but highly sought after by managers who know what they're doing.

ignoring the alan mahon topic eh rovers6.

Souey claims that Damien Duff type wingers are a luxury and not wanted by managers.

Also wanted by fans, exciting wingers who can beat a man or two or three and cross the ball bring in the fans. It's entertainment, it's what the fans want to see.

If I must waste my energy responding to an asinine comment -

I never said Mahon was a world-beater but to me it seemed logical that he was the only left footed midfielder at the club and we were crying out for some width on the left last season, so I thought Mahon should play as a left winger; at least until the end of the season and we were able to buy a better player.

As it turned out, Douglas did a job there. However, who's seeing more first team action now?

If I must waste my energy responding to an asinine comment -

I never said Mahon was a world-beater but to me it seemed logical that he was the only left footed midfielder at the club and we were crying out for some width on the left last season, so I thought Mahon should play as a left winger; at least until the end of the season and we were able to buy a better player.

As it turned out, Douglas did a job there. However, who's seeing more first team action now?

withstupid.gifwithstupid.gifwithstupid.gif

Neither getting first team action. Seems as Mahon has been on the bench every game this season.

Errr no.

You raise a good point about the wingers, rover6, but I'd have to agree with Tango in this case. Souey's comments were always going to be interpreted differently by different people, but I think his point isn't that nobody wants dribbling wingers, but that such wingers are truly class players and as such are beyond the financial reaches of all but the upper-level clubs.

Tango's list helped prove this point, and also think of this: how many pacy dribbling wingers that are relatively consistent in their performances aren't extremely expensive players? The best a club like us can hope for (excluding a Duff who comes through the youth academy) is a Gillespie-type who has talent but whose performances are certainly inconsistent.

It's sad in a way that the dribbling winger is a dying breed, because personally it's my favorite type of footballer. In the end, I think Souness is merely being realistic and pointing out that none of those players are within our price range.