SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Yorke To Celtic, No Brum.

• Replies 234
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Dropped from the england squad aswell! Doing brilliantly wink.gif

I'd say that's more because Sven seems reluctant to pick players from big clubs (like Spurs wink.gif ) rather than a decline in Heksey's form. Being the main player at a smaller club could be just the thing to get his career back on the rails, he's only 26 or something remember.

Just read in the LET that Yorke only made his mind up with 10 mins to go before the deadline. What a horrible little man. Nuff said. mad.gif

You mean because he had actually become a bit attached to our club and wasn't willing to jump at any oppurtunity to get out of here?

Does anyone know the fee paid for Yorke? (if any) unsure.gif

Whatever Brum paid I dunno but it has been revealed that he did not sign until 11.50pm (I thought he'd have been clubbing it by then!). Knowing that we were desperate to get rid of him in order to fund the Boothroyd deal whats the betting that we had to slip a substantial chunk of the fee untouched and straight into his back sack before he'd go? It'd be a typical parting shot by the evil black-mailing @#/? and his conniving agent huh? mad.gif

One of our old players who Birmingham fans must be delighted with is Damien Johnson, who has become a permanent fixture in the team since Souness scandalously let him go.

Oh jim jim jim, how long was Johnson gone before you started to rate him?

jim I think there may be one or two you have missed

To continue with the Yorke character assassination...

It just sums up the man that he opts to go to Birmingham, where he'll undoubtedly be a bit part player, when he could have gone to Celtic, emerged as a regular player and won trophies.

The critical gaze of the Celtic faithful would have found him out in seconds, so it's just as well.

I think Sutton and Hartson might have something to say about that.

If he backs his own ability, and thinks the premiership is a better league than scotland, which we all do, then it makes sense that you'd rather play in england.

You mean because he had actually become a bit attached to our club and wasn't willing to jump at any oppurtunity to get out of here?

Eddie, Yorke said that he would walk back to Aston Villa to play with them again in the off-season. He was also constantly fighting with Souness and I am cast-iron positive that the reason he left it so late had *nothing* to do with him being attached to the club.

To continue with the Yorke character assassination...

It just sums up the man that he opts to go to Birmingham, where he'll undoubtedly be a bit part player, when he could have gone to Celtic, emerged as a regular player and won trophies.

The critical gaze of the Celtic faithful would have found him out in seconds, so it's just as well.

Doubt it, Sutton and Hartson are infintely superior strikers too our (not any more! ha! smile.gif ) Dwight - and to Morrison and Heskey as well for that matter.

Your last comment is more or less correct though, he'd never have survived the Glasgow goldfish bowl.

From the Birmingham City website (includes the fee):

l: brfcs04

p: supporters (unless one of you crazy kids has changed it)

BOSS URGES FANS TO BACK YORKE

Steve Bruce has urged Blues fans not to make a snap judgment on the shock £250,000 signing of former Villa hero Dwight Yorke, writes Colin Tattum in the Evening Mail.

Bruce said: "Dwight's turned down a giant of a club in Celtic to come to us.

"He wanted to stay in the Premier League and he wanted to join us.

"You have to respect that.

"Villa is in the past and his background was of no concern to him when making his decision.

"He made it clear he was very keen to play for Birmingham.

"I'm delighted we've got someone of his terrific ability.

"It's not often a European Cup winner becomes available and I am sure he will add something to what we've got - and be a hit with the fans."

Talking of the actual transfer itself, Bruce added: "It was a hectic day yesterday. We got a tip-off that Blackburn had agreed to sell him and that he was on his way to Celtic.

"We pulled out all the stops.

"I managed to get to speak to him and told him that before deciding anything, to give us a shout.

"In fact, Dwight made it clear he would prefer to join us and although it was touch-and-go we managed to push it through."

ahaahhaha...they're in damage control already! biggrin.gif Plus we got 250 000 pounds and that grinning git off the field and off our wage bill!

Edited by samtheozzy

Celtic wanted to take on the rest of is contract which would have not entitled him to a pay out.

How could he be entitled to a pay-out, if Celtic were willing to take the remainder of his contract? How does that work?!? blink.gif

I thought he was on a performance related wage anyway? unsure.gif

Nice one Sam  biggrin.gif ...   Good sniffing around to find the price of Yorke...   ph34r.gif

£250K ain't that bad..   cool.gif

So thats it then............ we obviously had to bung him £150,000 at ten to midnight to get him off the piggin payroll.

Money well spent too.

I'd have gone as far as a million at 1 second to midnight tongue.gif

Edited by SouthAussieRover

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.