BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

New Manager is Mark Hughes

3rdpillar

The Mirror picking up on the Parkes interview saying Rovers need a young Manager who can manage within a budget.

They say Dowie is the favourite to get the job but that it will be difficult to get him released from Palace. I thought he had not signed a four year contract although all his backroom staff have committed.

The Palace boards seem to be very quiet about the links between Dowie and Blackburn. Most seem to think Dowie has too much integrity to move from Palace but with a Manager without a long term contract, that seems to be whistling in the wind.

• Replies 2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Caretaker boss Tony Parkes says the first week at Blackburn since Grame Souness left has been "like a breath of fresh air". (Daily Express)

Mark Hughes will meet Blackburn officials on Sunday to discuss the vacant manager's position. (Daily Star)

Hi Bazcaz, We are trying to keep the amount of new topics down to a minimum. If you see a thread about a similar topic try to post in that one. There is a Souness one and a New manager one, this would have been ok in either of those.

I'll try to merge it to one of them (If I can remember how to do it)

Thanks

People want reasons why we should not appoint Houllier

Here you go

Houlliers a joke manager. I still rem all the sh1t he stirred up over Neil's tackle on Carragher whilst completely ignoring all criticism for Gerrard for all his violent misdemeanours. The man is a fool and French to boot.

However Diouf hardly covers himself in glory by suggesting all his problems, lack of form and his inability to adapt to English football were down to Houllier. Like most smacked arsey footballers he should maybe spend some time looking in a mirror.

So according to the Guardian today, Iain Dowie and Mark Hughes are two out of the names on the shortlist.

We don't know of course if the Guardian are right, or if they are just plucking names out like the rest of us.

If it was up to me, as I said in an earlier post, the two main names on my shortlist would be Alan Curbishley and Gordon Strachan.

I had a friendly argument at work yesterday with a colleague who told me that there's "not a cat in hell's chance" that Curbishley would leave the Valley for Rovers.

It may of course be the case that the chances of him wanting to come to Ewood are slim. I just think that it's worth a try and that no harm is done by asking.

Curbishley is the 3rd most experienced Manager in the Premiership - with over 600 games for Charlton.

(Only Harry Redknapp, with over 850 games in charge of Bournemouth, West Ham and Portsmouth - and Alex Ferguson, with nearly 1000 games in charge of Man United, have had more experience of English management.)

There will eventually come a time when Curbs fancies a fresh challenge away from the Valley. Whether he would only leave for a bigger city club or for the England job, time will tell.

Assuming that Curbishley isn't interested in joining us, Strachan would be my next choice. He was on the 'Football Focus' sofa a short while ago - but avoided answering any questions about the Rovers vacancy.

I would accept Mark Hughes as manager, but would have a concern about his lack of experience in charge of a club side.

Remember that although Hodgson and Kidd were both well known names - neither of them had any past experience of being a Premiership manager. And ultimately they both failed at Rovers.

If it's Reid:

1) I''ll be astounded

2) I'll set off to Beachy Head.

If it's Reid, I might be joining you at Beachy Head, Jason!

We could drive down there together - at least it would save on the petrol.... dry.gif

As well as Peter Reid, other managers that I definitely don't want are:

Dick Advocaat

Mike Newell

George Graham

Glenn Hoddle

Paul Jewell

Paul Sturrock

Mick McCarthy

Bryan Robson

Walter Smith

A big 'No' to all of those names above - and especially of course to Gerard Houllier.

Houlliers a joke manager.

You're right Theno.

And as another board member said, Houllier has the habit of buying 2nd and 3rd rate African players - and we definitely don't want any of those at Rovers, eh Gord? wink.gif

The latest odds with bookies Paddy Power. (Sorry Colin, I know you don't like the betting odds - you're right that they don't tell us who'll be appointed) - but just purely out of interest, they are:

M Hughes 6/4

I Dowie 7/2

D Advocaat 11/2

G Strachan 9/1

D Moyes 16/1

M Newell 16/1

G Houllier 18/1

P Jewell 25/1

G Hoddle 25/1

M McCarthy 33/1

T Venables 40/1

Edited by Anti Euro Smiths Fan

Just listened to Soccer Saturday - Frank McLintock and George Best saying the Rovers job is not a good job. Thanks fellas! Jeff the legend then mentioned that lots of money is piling onto Dowie. And I'd bet 20 quid on Hughes. Typical - I think I've jinxed Sparky

Yep just seen it what a bunck of w**kers

Just listened to Soccer Saturday - Frank McLintock and George Best saying the Rovers job is not a good job. Thanks fellas! Jeff the legend then mentioned that lots of money is piling onto Dowie. And I'd bet 20 quid on Hughes. Typical - I think I've jinxed Sparky

Wow thats amazing seeing as most of the managers, ex players and other pundits seem to think its one of teh best jobs around!

Andy Gray reportidly applied for the job in a article i saw yesterday! After all his critisims he would still want to be our boss....

Rondney Marsh has just turned round and said that there is no chance that we have had over 30 applications for the job and even if we did they wouldnt be from top managers. Grrrrr, I cant sand that bloke.

On another note West Brom are holding a meeting to discuse Megsons future:-

1. Why? He has done an excellent job for them

2. Would we have him?

3. I wonder how much Marsh gets paid to talk pap

LET(yesterday) said the Rovers won't let Hughes manage Wales on a part-time basis.

Hopefully this is the case and today's Guardian are wrong in stating the contrary (see Philipl's link P64) . Maybe this willl be the stumbling block that will let in Dowie or Strachan .

As AESF hinted , maybe it was significant that Strachan on Focus today pointedly didn't make any mention at all about the job . That leads me to conclude that Strachan , Dowie and Hughes are the 3 main men , although I'm mystified at Advocaat still being amongst the favourites. I'd prefer Dowie on balance .

That leads me to conclude that Strachan , Dowie and Hughes are the 3 main men

In terms of pure experience and relative success, it should be Strachan from that list. Of course I think there is more to it than track record (otherwise Houllier and Glenda would be faves) but to be perfectly frank I wouldn't be disappointed by any of those 3

Rondney Marsh has just turned round and said that there is no chance that we have had over 30 applications for the job and even if we did they wouldnt be from top managers. Grrrrr, I cant sand that bloke.

1. Why? He has done an excellent job for them

2. Would we have him?

3. I wonder how much Marsh gets paid to talk pap

Id prefer Megson to both Dowie and Hughes

Rondney Marsh has just turned round and said that there is no chance that we have had over 30 applications for the job and even if we did they wouldnt be from top managers.  Grrrrr, I cant sand that bloke.

1.  Why?  He has done an excellent job for them

2.  Would we have him?

3.  I wonder how much Marsh gets paid to talk pap

Id prefer Megson to both Dowie and Hughes

Megson is a 3-5-2 man.

His appointment would be the end of MGP, unless he can adapt to being a wing back, which I doubt. 1.5 million down the drain.

We would start playing goddam awful and negative football. It took him half a season before he plucked up the courage to play Koumas the season before last - it was a bit late by then.