SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Charlton Athletic 1 0 Rovers

den

• Replies 318
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

We really wheren't that bad that we sucked. I'm not saying we played well, but there seemed to be a better spirit there, that some players seemed to want to play for us.

So stop over reacting.

We just have to take the positives into Saturdays game.

Good post MrsJansen! The team spirit was there in parts but sometimes we still looked lazy if thats the right word. cuidado i think we had a genuine penalty appeal tonight so i think we have a right to moan about it. Emerton was always looking to swing that ball in and HH got his hand in the way. Sucked is abit harsh maybe poor is the right word but hopefully get a result on Saturday smile.gif .

Just a typical Rovers performance. We were marginally the better of two very bad teams but some shocking defending gifts them a goal and we lack the quality or creativity to get one back. Where have we seen that before?

Yes, we were unlucky with the penalty, yes we could have had a bit more luck in front of goal, yes we had lots of possession and controlled the game for large periods, but these things mask the fact that we are a poor team who will be battling at the wrong end of the league for a good while yet.

I thought Gray, Neill and Ferguson were terrible tonight. Flitcroft did more bad things than good, Emerton flattered to deceive, Stead showed some good moments but more poor ones. I thought Jansen did ok and there were signs that he might be improving. Dickov was probably our man of the match - yet he wasn't particularly good.

There's nothing wrong with our attitude or committment. We just don't have enough quality to beat teams. Hopefully Hughes and his staff can at least organise us enough to stop losing games like this, and then in January we add some much needed class to the squad. Every point between now and January will be extremely welcome because I don't see us getting many.

The thing is, MGP HAS everything we lacked tonight, so i cannot believe that he was not brought on.

We needed good people in the air, Morten is a good header. We needed flair, crosses, finishing skills, and those clever little passes that could open any defence. And we dont bring on MGP. I mean, we even had one sub left!!!!

Give over.

I was disappointed that MGP wasn't brought on as well, but he hasn't exactly had a flying start to his Rovers career has he? You can't blame Hughes from trying to give Jansen a chance to prove himself.

I'm surprised that Hughes chose Jansen in the starting line-up over MGP (not De Pedro, though) and would have thought the least MGP would have added to the game late on wouild have been a fresh pair of legs and a threat from long throw-ins.

To be honest, I don't think there were many players who would have made a difference to tonight's game - we were under par as a whole, struggled to threaten the Charlton goal and it would have taken alot more than what MGP's shown for us so far to make an impact.

I've got high hopes for MGP, but just because he was a star in the your home league doesn't mean he's gonna have the same impact here straight away. We've already got one player suffering from a lack of confidence (and quality service) in Jon Stead - it'd be a shame to see MGP suffer the same set back so soon after he's joined.

I think you're a bit over-dramatic - Hughes needs 100% support from everyone at the moment - he's trying to get the best out of a squad of someone else's players. We can't go throwing our rattles out of the pram everytime one of our favourite players doesn't get a game. Gally's put in some decent showings for so far us in his short career at Ewood and he's no closer to getting into the team either.

If MGP's as good as everyone says he will get his chance.

They are saying it was ball to hand. That if someone fires a shot from 10 yards out then he can't help it if his hands are by his side and can't get them out of the way on time. wink.gif

Stop moaning about the penalty-issue. Charlton had the exact same thing in the 1st half. How can a player remove their arm from 2 meters? And NO, holding the hand there ISNT an "un-natural" placement of the arm! Holding the arm into you body is.

We lost because we sucked, and the players used sucked. Bad managing.

dont talk like a knob!!!their claim was arm tucked away and no way of moving away...our shout was with arm stuck out to the ball !!!

bad management how the fk do you work that out?we hit the post and had 64_% possesion bad finishing maybe ...but management f me with a cactus ...your talking @#/?

I thought Hughes completely failed with the subs. Tugay didn't find the openings as was intended but I can see what he was thinking. Bothroyd was terrible. Ok he has great technique but what does that help if he can't put it to good use?

Oh and please lets have Gally and Gamst on the pitch next time. And Nissa, or Todd, or Short! Anyone but Matteo!

They are saying it was ball to hand. That if someone fires a shot from 10 yards out then he can't help it if his hands are by his side and can't get them out of the way on time. wink.gif

Stop moaning about the penalty-issue. Charlton had the exact same thing in the 1st half. How can a player remove their arm from 2 meters? And NO, holding the hand there ISNT an "un-natural" placement of the arm! Holding the arm into you body is.

dont talk like a knob!!!their claim was arm tucked away and no way of moving away...our shout was with arm stuck out to the ball !!!

bad management how the fk do you work that out?we hit the post and had 64_% possesion bad finishing maybe ...but management f me with a cactus ...your talking @#/?

S/he means that we didnt play MGP.

bored...............

We cant moan about penalties when were in div 1. I'll give them a chance, of cource, but now im just frustrated.

Must. Reserve. Anger. For. Anti-Amo. <a href="http://www.ntsearch.com/search.php?q=People&v=56">People</a>.

mad.gif

Amoruso does give us fight, leadership and spark at the back, we need a defender who can bring it out of defence and not just ones who lump it upfield everytime they get it.

We could do with a defender who would clear the ball rather than passing it round witing to put us back into trouble. The problem at the back is that we can't get it out. Why so angry anyway, surely in a forum like this Rovers fans should be able to say what they like about the players who represent us. I don't think Amo is good enough to wear the shirt, perhaps you do, fair enough but at the end of the day we are all on the same side.

Bad decision by the ref should have been a pen.

That apart, and I am sorry if this upsets anybody, we were absolute rubbish tonight. A team totally lacking in quality, ideas, pace etc. etc.

Mr Hughes you have my sympathy because you have inherited a very poor squad. If you save us from relegation then you will deserve manager of the year.

January can't come quick enough!!

Nissa?! haha, I would rather play my dog than nissa.... All the rubbish I read on this mb... wink.gif

I've heard good things about your dog! He is very obidient can sit stay and roll over so he's more intellegent than matteo and nissa already. If we attach a stick the the ball maybe we COULD HAVE (like you could have paid more attention in school) found our new defender.

Ricky: It was slightly different in that matteo was trying to get his arms away from the ball whereas herman the german was moving his hands out to stop teh ball getting into teh box, even though it was hit at him that is irrelavant.

Edited by modes98

Brian Clough said:

"If football is meant to be played in the air god would have put grass in the sky."

They should pin this to Amoruso's and Gray's locker.

We must start playing football again. On the floor.

There is plenty of effort but not enough skill. The final ball tonight was terrible... no wonder Stead hasn't got off the mark yet.

This comes down to a poor game by Ferguson. (When did you last see Fliity make a killer pass?). We need a 25 year-old Tugay. Where?

Playing football requires mobility and accurate speedy passes over 5-10 yards.

We lacked both tonight.

I am still realistically optimistic.. no doubt the lads gave 110%.. they just need to get as fit as eg Charlton... But we don't seem to be able to find that "relaxedness" to cut through the frenetic football of the Premiership .. that is to be expected with a new manager. Effort and workrate are the only ways, in the short term, that players can impress an incoming manager. Hence the "headless chicken" act of e.g. Flitty.

Possession was ours, 64% in the second half. The team "kept their shape" but the creativity reminded me of the table "football" teams that also "keep their shape".

In the first half, as an example, Jansen was notable for winning some nice flick on headers. i.e. the ball was being played like a second division team (Premiership = 1) - long and high down the "inside left" and "inside right" channel.

There was great deal of passion displayed by The Rovers tonight. That is to be expected. (see above).

A draw would have been a "fair" .. but real fans know that is part of the game.

The game itself was not an advertisement for football. Effort, endeavour etc yes... but.... Where? after the Labore is the Arte?

so thats 2 goals in 7 games from our front two strikers, and neither scored a goal in a game we actually won.

I knew this would be the problem with Dickov, he lacks quality, his goal scoring record is a joke, we have a 32yr old div 2 player as our currently best striker, he should be coming off the bench if anything.

Still think sometimes Stead looks class on the ball but he not playing with Andy Cole probably the most successful striker ever in the PL anymore.

horrible result tonight, dam

We cant moan about penalties when were in div 1. I'll give them a chance, of cource, but now im just frustrated.

div 1 2 or 3 what does it matter i will be there

Bad decision by the ref should have been a pen.

That apart, and I am sorry if this upsets anybody, we were absolute rubbish tonight. A team totally lacking in quality, ideas, pace etc. etc.

Mr Hughes you have my sympathy because you have inherited a very poor squad. If you save us from relegation then you will deserve manager of the year.

January can't come quick enough!!

Totally agree MJS.

We never look like scoring and always look like conceding. I'm not knocking the forwards as they played OK but never got any service. How many times did Emerton try and cross it in and failed. Ferguson was a disgrace in midfield, he's supposed to be the captain yet he did absolutely nowt. The goal was a soft 1 as well.

There's no point complaining about the ref because we diudn't deserve anything anyway.

The only positive to take out of the seaon to date is...look at the teams below us.

so youll enjoy it? do you WANT us to go down?

so youll enjoy it? do you WANT us to go down?

No, but it shouldn't matter what div we are in we will still supposrt the Rovers.

Or some of us will.............

mad.gif

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.