BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] How Good Is Rooney?

philipl

True Blue - you mentioned Dunny the Waster and the Real Deal Rooney in the same sentence . Don't do it again !!

Real Deal Rooney ???????

The only thing he's the 'real deal' of is Shrek look-alikes !

As far as mentioning Dunny and Rooney in the same sentence, if that sentence is about players believing their own press and being big-headed about it.. then I will !

You can be big headed when you've scored practically a fifth of England's all-time top scorer by the time you're 18. He can be as greedy as he wants - he delivers.

• Replies 98
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Let's all get some sense and hold our judgement once he has played a couple of seasons

He is still an unknown, in the premiership and on the world stage. Let some defences get used to him and then judge on what kind of player he is.

Potential to be Englands greatest player?

02 / 03 Everton 33 appearances 6 goals

03 / 04 Everton 34 appearances 9 goals

04 / 05 Man Utd 2 appearances 3 goals

Not exactly stuff of legends just yet

• 3 weeks later...

This post, I fear, might upset some of the Rooney/Man Utd lovers.

I apologise in advance...

On October 24th at Old Trafford, Rooney deliberately cheated and conned the ref by diving in the box against Arsenal.

Sol Campbell didn't make any contact with his outstretched boot. It was a dive, pure and simple.

A week later, against Portsmouth, there was a wild reaction from Rooney - who was booked for a reckless challenge on Nigel Quashie.

He was charging around the Fratton Park pitch like the proverbial bull in a china shop - unable to get a grip on the game, and resorting to using his abrasive Scouse temper instead.

There was wild hysteria after Rooney's debut for United against Fernebache. Some were suggesting that at 19, he was already the best striker that England had ever produced.

Even though, when you examine his goalscoring record for Everton - 15 Premiership goals in 67 appearances - it compares unfavourably with the scoring record of Jimmy Greaves, for example, or Gary Lineker - who scored 40 times for Everton during one season, 1985-86.

When Mr Rooney has scored as many goals for England as Greaves and Lineker did, then he deserves to be put in the same company as those two.

I accept that Wayne has obviously got a lot of talent. But after the way he handed in a transfer request and demanded a move to Man United, I'm afraid I can't warm to the guy on a personal level.

A good player, but not a good guy IMO.

This post, I fear, might upset some of the Rooney/Man Utd lovers.

I apologise in advance...

On October 24th at Old Trafford, Rooney deliberately cheated and conned the ref by diving in the box against Arsenal.

Sol Campbell didn't make any contact with his outstretched boot. It was a dive, pure and simple.

A week later, against Portsmouth, there was a wild reaction from Rooney - who was booked for a reckless challenge on Nigel Quashie.

He was charging around the Fratton Park pitch like the proverbial bull in a china shop - unable to get a grip on the game, and resorting to using his abrasive Scouse temper instead.

There was wild hysteria after Rooney's debut for United against Fernebache. Some were suggesting that at 19, he was already the best striker that England had ever produced.

Even though, when you examine his goalscoring record for Everton - 15 Premiership goals in 67 appearances - it compares unfavourably with the scoring record of Jimmy Greaves, for example, or Gary Lineker - who scored 40 times for Everton during one season, 1985-86.

When Mr Rooney has scored as many goals for England as Greaves and Lineker did, then he deserves to be put in the same company as those two.

I accept that Wayne has obviously got a lot of talent. But after the way he handed in a transfer request and demanded a move to Man United, I'm afraid I can't warm to the guy on a personal level.

A good player, but not a good guy IMO.

Once again I find myself agreeing with you AESF. Another Beckham in the making here. Perhaps it's because we are united in our hatred of anything Manure.

At club level he is much too inconsistent, I still stick by the fact that the reason he took Euro 2004 by storm is that mainland Europe hadn't had a good look at him.

Players like Zidane, Ronaldo and Ronaldinho are the absolute class at all levels and can maintain it, this little imposter doesn't rate a sniff on some of the English players gone before that his talent is being associated with

I have heard people boldy claim that United where now once again a force because of Rooneys signing, what has he done in the Premier League to suggest such outlandish statements?

• 2 months later...

Anyone notice Rooney's behaviour at Anfield yesterday? Celebration in front of the Kop and a reckless tackle leading to his booking. This lad could self-destruct if he doesn't learn to control to himself.

Anyone notice Rooney's behaviour at Anfield yesterday? Celebration in front of the Kop and a reckless tackle leading to his booking. This lad could self-destruct if he doesn't learn to control to himself.

Absolutely right Paul.

"Nobody needs to tell me how to behave," said Wayne at the press conference when he signed for United in August last year.

The signs over the last few months are that Rooney would indeed benefit from somebody giving him a bit of advice.

His behaviour for England against Spain in November was appalling.

Wayne was like a rampaging monster that night. He began the match with a spiteful foul on Joaquín and then sent the Spanish keeper Casillas flying through the photographers.

He ended the match in a fit of childish petulance by stripping off the black armband worn in memory of Emlyn Hughes and hurling it to the turf.

What made it worse was that he refused to apologise afterwards.

For the disrespect shown not only to Emlyn and his family, but also to the England supporters, an apology afterwards would have been nice.

The following month against Bolton, in a flash of temper, Rooney raised his hand to Ben Haim's face.

Haim was guilty of ridiculous playacting - going down as if he'd been shot; but that still doesn't excuse Rooney's stupidity in the first place. Surely every Premiership player, even a 19-year-old chav, knows that if you raise your hand to another opponents face, however lightly, then it's a sending-off offence.

The FA were right to give Rooney a 3 match ban. (They should have punished Haim more severely though for his playacting.)

Returning to the league after his 3 match ban, you'd think that Rooney might have tried to keep his temper under control in his first game back in the Premiership.

Instead, Wayne was yesterday booked against Liverpool for recklessness again. When will he ever learn?

I wasn't surprised that he made a silly provocative celebration in front of the Kop. He's that type of character.

At Goodison Park, Rooney literally had more yellow cards than goals. His disciplinary record for a striker is dreadful.

I remember in particular one disgraceful two-footed challenge that he made while playing for Everton - for which he was rightly sent off.

I fear that the lad seems determined to press the self-destruct button.

I guess this is sadly what can happen sometimes when lads are showered with too much money, fame and adulation at a young age. Rooney doesn't yet seem to have the brains or the maturity to conduct himself properly.

Having a "role model" like Roy Keane as captain, together with the abrasive Alan Smith as his strike partner probably doesn't help matters.

There were those who thought that Fergie would be the right man to calm Rooney down. I think the opposite will be true.

There've been quite a few players down the years that Ferguson has been unable to control - Lee Sharpe, Norman Whiteside, Paul McGrath, Mark Bosnich to name a few.

Ferguson has so far proved incapable of handling Rooney in the right way.

He began the match with a spiteful foul on Joaquín and then sent the Spanish keeper Casillas flying through the photographers.

He ended the match in a fit of childish petulance by stripping off the black armband worn in memory of Emlyn Hughes and hurling it to the turf.

The following month against Bolton, in a flash of temper, Rooney raised his hand to Ben Haim's face.

Wayne was yesterday booked against Liverpool for recklessness again. When will he ever learn?

At Goodison Park, Rooney literally had more yellow cards than goals. His disciplinary record for a striker is dreadful.

I remember in particular one disgraceful two-footed challenge that he made while playing for Everton - for which he was rightly sent off.

Don't know about anyone else but he sounds like Fergusons ideal player biggrin.gif

Since my post I've read the Sunday Times. Page three carries a roughly one-quarter shot of Rooney celebrating his goal with Ronaldo in front of the Kop. Ronaldo face is lit with genuine pleasure, Rooney's is screwed up with hate and defiance. I don't think this was shown on MOTD. I can't reacll seeing a similar look on a footballer's face in all the time I've watched the game.

For Rooney's sake I hope Ferguson sees the photograph, which I can't find on the web, and has more than a word in the lad's ear. If someone does not take him in hand he'll be the next Gazza in every sense, it's as plain as day.

Since his exploits in the summer (selling out to the Sun, abandoning his boyhood team) Rooney has turned in to the quintessential United player. Aggressive, self-consumed and utterly without grace, his actions towards the Kop yesterday were typical of his transformation from prodigious youngster to snarling lunatic.

For Rooney's sake I hope Ferguson sees the photograph, which I can't find on the web, and has more than a word in the lad's ear. If someone does not take him in hand he'll be the next Gazza in every sense, it's as plain as day.

This picture?

Yeah that's the one. Ronaldo seems like he's goading the fans just as much to me. Saying that I said the same thing after Fowler against Everton last week. Fans can't have it both ways, if you had been called everything under the sun you might be tempted to gloat somewhat. The lad is just a daft scally and won't change simple as that.

Since his exploits in the summer (selling out to the Sun, abandoning his boyhood team) Rooney has turned in to the quintessential United player. Aggressive, self-consumed and utterly without grace, his actions towards the Kop yesterday were typical of his transformation from prodigious youngster to snarling lunatic.

He's always been a snarling chav. Signing for United didn't change that.

He's always been a snarling chav. Signing for United didn't change that.

No but it made him easier to loathe though didn't it?

This picture?

Shudder.....Never mind incitement offences, the police should charge the gurning idiots with frightening children.

As Nick Hancock described Peter Beardsley, maybe Rooney is someone else who when appearing on TV 'causes daleks to hide behind the sofa'.

Rooney is just a chav, who gets paid too much and doesn't know how to behave. If he weren't a footballer and you saw him in the streets throwing stones, you wouldn't be surprised. He was unbelievable at Euro 2004 and apart from the Fenerbache game, he hasn't set the world alight. He is an absolute nutter and he better be careful, because one day when he's buying a new tracksuit or Burburrey cap, someone will floor him.

I dont see anything wrong with winding up the Kop after they had given him stick all game. It makes the game more interesting and exciting to watch. I know id taunt the turf moor turds with my celebrations if i scored, and alot of other disliked fans for that matter. Rooneys temprement will improve with age, its all about gaining experience at the moment, hes only 19 remember. Beckham and Gerrard both had the same problems when younger, now this aggression has been used to improve their game.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.