BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] How Good Is Rooney?

philipl

Just seen footage of the Man U goals last night.

Considering they were playing with a naff midfield, the Mancs performance was stunning.

I knew Rooney was a talent but was waiting to be convinced.

Anyone else watching Rooney smash those shots in have a flashback to standing on the Holmesdale Road End in August '92?

Sad to admit but the Mancs are back in contention to win everything again. And this time the best forward in the world has not snubbed them.

• Replies 98
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Yes, the performance was impressive (though I didn't see it; I stopped watching United in Europe years ago) but the defence is still dodgy, they are having keeper problems, and the midefield is under-performing. Rooney is the business, but so too are Arsenal and Chelsea.

I too had reservations about him despite seeing him light up Euro 2004. Yesterday's performance especially the power and accuracy of his 2nd goal have convinced me that this boy wonder has it to be the next Shearer. Suddenly that £27m looks like a good purchase if he stays at the club for the next decade.

Yes, he's good, very good and I had my doubts like many others.......but I am now sick to death, already, of the words Wayne and Rooney. The TV coverage last night was almost vomit inducing. Five Live ran a "greatest debuts" feature throughout the breakfast programme. At work all the Mancs, I'm the only true believer, have been singing "Rooney" all morning!! sad.gifsad.gif

Sooner he goes to Madrid or somewhere the better. We've got years of this ridiculous hysteria ahead of us.

:boring old sod stomps off to corner:

Good post Phillip, it's funny how these things happen.

Shearer's England debut in 1992 came in the same year that Gary Lineker quit international football. Shearer scored on that debut versus France, and a wonderful career lay ahead.

Rooney's move to Man United has coincided with Shearer's last season in football. It would appear that he is to follow the same path as Shearer when he himself took up the mantle.

Rooney has a long career ahead of him during which I think he will break many many records. He has the potential to be the best English player ever in my opinion. Wish he'd gone elsewhere though sad.gif

Just seen footage of the Man U goals last night.

Considering they were playing with a naff midfield, the Mancs performance was stunning.

I knew Rooney was a talent but was waiting to be convinced.

Anyone else watching Rooney smash those shots in have a flashback to standing on the Holmesdale Road End in August '92?

Sad to admit but the Mancs are back in contention to win everything again. And this time the best forward in the world has not snubbed them.

I was there in '92 but didn't have a flashback. Rooney's not that good yet.

Rooney is a fantastic player already and he will only get better. Only thing I have reservations about is his fitness. He's only 18 and has already had two bad injuries that have meant he's missed a lot of games.

As for Man U, he's undoubtedly improved them massively but their dodgy midfield will drag them down and there's no way I think they'll finish above Arsenal and Chelsea in the Prem.

Rooney is good but not in the same class as Shearer. (For the time being anyway)

Im sorry but last night they were playing against a very poor defence. The free kick was always going in, the keeper was stood at the opposite ppost like an idiot.

The 1st goal was shocking defending.

I think he needs to be more of a team player if he is to be the great that everyone is expecting.

You can never tell with young players if they are going to last the course: look at Michael Owen, a world beater at 18 but whose star has now fallen; look at Norman Whiteside, another teenage prodigy whose career was ended by injury at the age of 25. Tommy Docherty sold George Best at 26 because he wasn't good enough to play top flight football any more.

Shearer is still banging in the goals at 34. The chances are Rooney won't be doing the same but it'll be fun watching him in the meantime. I just hope he is fit for the next World Cup. England's best players always seem to be injured for the major tournaments.

If he keeps his head down and gets on with it he’ll be fine.

He’s already proved at Euro 2004 that he can play against the best. He is class; the next World Cup is when I’ll make my final decision on Rooney.

His goals last night were brilliant, especially the second goal.

Considering he’s only eighteen and scored a hat-trick on his debut for United, not bad at all.

The second goal was pure genius, the way he lost the first defender then smashed the ball into the bottom corner was quite breath taking, there are very few players in the world who could have done that. What's more scary is that he's still learning the game...there's no limit to what the kid can achieve.

I'm already sick of the commentators waxing lyrical at his every touch.

Yes he is a great player at 18 but there is something about his build that worries me. I think that he is going to have great difficulty controlling his weight in his mid twenties. We will see.

Im sorry but last night they were playing against a very poor defence. The free kick was always going in, the keeper was stood at the opposite ppost like an idiot.

The 1st goal was shocking defending.

good points. i think RFW knew that the Fenerbace defence would be vulnerable to Rooney, shrewd of him to give him his debut against them, as no doubt it will have done his confidence the world of good after 3 months sat out with injury. the finish on the first goal was class, even tho the marking was poor. the free kick was well taken but the wall collapsed. it will be interesting to see how he does in the premiership where the defenders might have more of a clue about how to play against him.

How can there be any doubts? Apart from his Auld Slapper incident, the guy hasn't put a foot wrong.

I can't understand the Shearer comparison though - Rooney is clearly in a different class to Big Al. Hat-trick on your Champions League debut... Jeez.

I can't understand the Shearer comparison though - Rooney is clearly in a different class to Big Al. Hat-trick on your Champions League debut... Jeez.

blink.gif

At 18, he's proved he's different class to Shearer?! The other one's got bells on it mate.

Need to be convinced. Still he did play well last night.

Remember it was one game. I remember one game last season where a big Italian centre back never gave him a sniff. Said centre back has been derided by several members of this board.

It's easy to get caught up in the media orgasm surrounding Rooney. Good luck to him, but its too early to be comparing him to Shearer

I haven't had time to check my facts but it has just occurred to me there really is no comparison between Rooney and Shearer at this stage. At his prime Shearer scored 30+ goals a season four years running for Rovers. Rooney hasn't even begun to nibble away at that.

The comparison may be valid in 2 or 3 years time but until then Shearer is still the finest English centre forward of the modern era.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.