BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

Restaurants

Where's the fat bull?

Used to be the Red Cat.

tbh Paul, no I haven't but I've spoken to someone just recently who enjoyed his meal there. Anyway if they won't serve you it's a long way behind isn't it?

Edited by thenodrog

That's true!

The FB is average pub food served in a fancy setting left over from the Red Cat days. The time we went there was nothing wrong but there was no reason to go back again. Same as a thousand pubs.

The Royal Oak has always struck me as being a cut above. Pub food but that little bit better. Good beer as well

• Like 1

That's true!

The FB is average pub food served in a fancy setting left over from the Red Cat days. The time we went there was nothing wrong but there was no reason to go back again. Same as a thousand pubs.

The Royal Oak has always struck me as being a cut above. Pub food but that little bit better. Good beer as well

The Spinners at Cowling must be near you, how does that rate ?

I've only been in twice for a drink. It didn't strike me as somewhere I would go to eat but that is nothing more than an impression.

I've been here 32 years now and never heard the Spinners mentioned in connection with food.

Been hearing good things about Thyme and Plaice at Coppull recently so I'm planning to book there for Saturday night.

I've only been in twice for a drink. It didn't strike me as somewhere I would go to eat but that is nothing more than an impression.

I've been here 32 years now and never heard the Spinners mentioned in connection with food.

Been hearing good things about Thyme and Plaice at Coppull recently so I'm planning to book there for Saturday night.

Top Spinners does a really nice Sunday roast, I think its about £9.

Never been to Thyme and Plaice, but Amelies which is also in Coppull on the a49, is really nice.

No idea who you spoke to but I would always ask for the owner / Manager in that situation. Often bar staff can be bullied by a chef wanting an early night.

Next up I'd have gone to the Fat Bull / O&O / Butlers / Clog, all within three miles and as good or better than the Royal Oak. Granted at this point that I don't know where you live CLB.

The owner/manager is Michael and the chef is his Brother.

Have you been in the Fat Bull thenodrog? We went once and wouldn't go again. The Royal Oak is a long way ahead.

The property is owned by Trevor Hemmings. When it was the Red Cat restaurant the people who ran it were those now at the Royal Oak.

Years ago it used to be one of the best pubs for miles around.

The Spinners at Cowling must be near you, how does that rate ?

Excellent. The owner is mad on Chorley FCand is on their Board.

Good beer, good food, always busy.

• Backroom

We fancied going for a curry buffet on Sunday and since our usual Darwen haunt was no more looked for an alternative.

Ended up as Akash and was pleasantly surprised; we only tried what was on the buffet menu for the day ( shami kebab, onion Bhaji; aloo pakora, tikka masala, lamb buhna and some other mild chicken dish, garlic nan and veg rice - all served at your table and as much as you want) but it was all lovely.

I noticed some of the staff from Reshs were there so not sure if the chefs have gone too.

Will definitely try again

No idea who you spoke to but I would always ask for the owner / Manager in that situation. Often bar staff can be bullied by a chef wanting an early night.

Next up I'd have gone to the Fat Bull / O&O / Butlers / Clog, all within three miles and as good or better than the Royal Oak. Granted at this point that I don't know where you live CLB.

Darreners ! I spoke initially to one of the lassies behind the bar that took the drinks order and then Mrs CLB had a word with a guy that could have been the bar manager, not sure.

I wasn't too bothered about kicking up a big fuss and the Amalfi Lounge proved to be a better option in the long run. We did consider going to one or two of the places you mentioned but we were only nipping out for a quick bar snack and the Amalfi Lounge is local to us. No massive deal at the end of the day. I was a bit miffed on the night but have chilled a bit since!

I was in Cornwall last week too Abs. Had fish an chips at a pub on the Lizard. It was expensive but the best fish I have ever had in my life. The batter was as light as a feather and the freshly caught haddock just melted in the mouth. It spoiled me for Lancashire fish and chips for ever.

I was in Cornwall last week too Abs. Had fish an chips at a pub on the Lizard. It was expensive but the best fish I have ever had in my life. The batter was as light as a feather and the freshly caught haddock just melted in the mouth. It spoiled me for Lancashire fish and chips for ever.

Have you tried Curleys at Horwich

Crab pot starter , had to be the best starter I've had anywhere .yes it was that good . I had haddock with a parmisan / crab crust with veg and new pots , that was spot on as well.

Crab pot starter , had to be the best starter I've had anywhere .yes it was that good . I had haddock with a parmisan / crab crust with veg and new pots , that was spot on as well.

Better than the spam and egg butty at the canal view cafe in Rishton? Surely not?

ps The entrance is on the towpath.

Edited by MCMC1875

Went to the O & O on Saturday night as we were without the kids for once.

I had steak for the main while the wife had chicken and ham pot pie. Steak was too fatty and not cooked as I'd asked (medium) and wasn't hot enough. Wife enjoyed hers though and , to be fair, it did look very good.

Must say I was disappointed, I've been 3 times in the past and always enjoyed my food there but not this time. I hope it's not regressing.

Final point, there was a youngish lad serving us (20ish) who couldn't do enough for us. Polite, knowledgeable on the menu and attentive without being overbearing. He was a credit to the place.