Sign in to follow this  
Tim Southampton Rover

Fútbol, Le Foot, Voetbal, ποδόσφαιρο

10 hours ago, speeeeeeedie said:

Usain Bolt scored 2 for the Central Coast Mariners in a pre season game; Bolt scores 2

Is it a marketing stunt or a genuine opportunity?

It is interesting. He is football mad, but spent the last 15 years running. Imagine having to mark him though? 6'5" and the quickest ever.

Who was the British sprinter who was on trial at Wigan (I think) years ago?

He has been training with them since late August, watched an interview with him the other week and he seems very grounded . Knows that chances of getting a contract with them are not high but giving it his best shot. Also interviewed the CCM coach who basically said if he doesnt come up to scratch won't get a contract. Both seemed fairly happy with the situation and how its going.

A league starts next week so be interesting to see if they sign him on considering there is only limited spots for Marquee and overseas players in A League Teams. Mike Phelan former Man U is their new Football Director so he is the one who is apparently overseeing Bolts trial with the club

Edited by perthblue02

Went to watch Witton Albion today in the 4th qualifying round of the FA Cup. They were playing Solihull Moors of the National League, managed by none other than Tim Flowers. Witton have settled in nicely to the Northern Premier League (level 7) since their promotion a couple of seasons back but today was men against boys. Solihull were a big side, not big lumps but big, fit lads and Witton never really had a sniff. Just two or three half-chances and that was it. They held out until part way through the second half but ended up losing 2-0. The attendance was 600 odd which is roughly double the norm. Good to see Tim Flowers, still a big lad and gone grey now, quiet in the first half but barking out instructions constantly in the second.

Doesn’t Northwich have 3 clubs all at a decent non league/semi pro level?

Must be quite unique for a town considerably smaller than Darwen...

Just a shout-out to footy fans (those that can drag themselves away from Strictly)..... The first leg of the Copa Libertadores is on at 8pm tonight.

Apparently (as well as BT Sport) it's live on freesports (a freeview channel).

Boca Juniors v River Plate (bitter rivals from Buenos Aires). I guess it's the equivalent of say . . Rovers playing Burnley in the Champions League Final.

Edited by Husky

9 minutes ago, Husky said:

Just a shout-out to footy fans (those that can drag themselves away from Strictly)..... The first leg of the Copa Libertadores is on at 8pm tonight.

Apparently (as well as BT Sport) it's live on freesports (a freeview channel).

Boca Juniors v River Plate (bitter rivals from Buenos Aires). I guess it's the equivalent of say . . Rovers playing Burnley in the Champions League Final.

Looking in doubt at the moment though with torrential rain in Buenos Aires.

16 hours ago, Ewood Ace said:

Looking in doubt at the moment though with torrential rain in Buenos Aires.

Saw the pics on Dubai sports last night looked terrential.

Double helping tonight, both programs start at 19.45 Brazil v Uraguay (friendly) and Holland v France (UEFA nations league) ITV4 and Sky Sports Mix respectively.

As with the first leg, the 2nd leg of the River Plate (2) v Boca Juniors (2) final has also been postponed until the Sunday . . this time due to the Boca Juniors team bus being attacked by rival fans.  It sounds almost as bad as Liverpool. 😚

😯

Several Boca players had bad cuts to their face. Maybe a few of the River Plate fans could get into UKIP as some sort of 'Falklands advisor'. They don't mind a bit of football factory nonsense in their ranks.

To get back on topic, if I had the power, I'd just award the standard 3-0 win to Boca, band River Plate from continental competition for 5 years at least. This sort of thing is tolerated a lot more over there than here, as in Western Europe though that may change with the world's march towards Fascism.

Sorry I drifted off towards the end again. Having read a lot about the 1930's and the second world war things are scary. More so in this age when people use social media to wish Kanye West's kids get cancer etc.

River Plate need a really strong punishment to try and stop this sort of thing.

These 2 teams have a LOT of previous (including some kind of pepper spray incident a few years back). With that it mind you would have thought that riding in on a massively obvious team bus whilst some of their team/entourage bang on the windows in an obvious wind-up attempt might not be the most intelligent thing to do.,

When I was in BA on business I was taken to see Boca play Newell’s Old Boys at La Bombonera. The policing getting to the ground was like nothing I have ever experienced: riot police, dogs, kettled in groups being passed to the next one when that had cleared. And we were in the expensive seats! Inside the ground, every square inch of steps and walkways was filled with fans who had climbed in and who spent most of the game facing away from the pitch stirring up a chanting that lasted  the whole game. When Maradona appeared in his box the place went bonkers. And that was for a standard league game with only 3 points at stake, so God knows what it’s been like in the build up to these two games.

Did everyone just get bored of it in the end (like Brexit)?

It was eventually played in Madrid on Sunday with River Plate winning 3-1 AET. They basically took over in extra time after Boca Juniors had a player controversially sent off.

Then there were the usual celebrations/riots back in Buenos Aires. 🙈

Edited by Husky

Just watching a re-run of the Star Sixes tourney. What a state Dunny is in! Outrageous.