BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Everton vs Rovers

I always like going to Everton away and to Goodison. I don't really know why because you can never see much no matter where you sit! But there's a good away pub, short walk across the park and usually a decent atmosphere from the Rovers fans.

Also since the start of the PL we've popped up with some decent results there. I had a look on Soccerbase (what have they done to that site?!) and our record there is W7 D2 L7, which for an away record isn't bad at all!

Things are a bit grim around here at the moment so I thought I'd have a look at some of my favourite wins at Everton to try and convince us that it might all be ok.

1994/95 - Defensive Masterclass

On the charge to the Premiership title, Rovers played at Everton on April Fools Day. Just fifteen seconds into the game Chris Sutton scored followed by a goal from Shearer on 6 minutes. The rest of the game we just defended like mad, Colin Hendry put his body and head in the way of just about everything, and even got a 10 in the paper. Somewhere in the scramble below Hendry is on the floor trying to head the ball!

hendry.jpg

Rovers scrapped away and got a 2-1 victory. I googled to find a match report for this game, and the only one I could find was from some Everton fan who clearly didn't like our cynical tactics :DToffeeweb

2003/04 - Steadinho!!

I don't really remember anything from this game, other than Andy Cole's cross and Stead heading it past Nigel Martyn. It was Stead's 5th goal since he joined us in the January transfer window and his goals went a long way to us staying in the PL.

The season after we also won 1-0 with a Stead goal.

2005/06 - FA Cup Smashing

Everton away isn't the most exciting FA Cup tie you could hope for. So after having reached the Arkles and hearing the teamsheet - Gallacher and Derbyshire up front!! - we didn't really want to go. But something made us and what a good decision it was. Just five minutes in Derbyshire scored before Pedersen scored a lovely free kick a few minutes later. Rovers went in at half time 3-0 after Gallagher had scored another. We went home in joyful mood after McCarthy came on and scored in the 90th minute. This was the start of our cup run that ended at the semi finals.

2008/09 - Opening Day

Ince's first league game in charge. Even before the season people weren't overly confident about how things would pan out but this game was a perfect start. Dunn opened the scoring with brilliant left footed shot from outside the box which curled past Tim Howard. Everton scored just on half time, then again in the beginning of the second half. Roque Santa Cruz levelled the game. Warnock played a long pass, Roque controlled it with one touch then slotted it past Howard with his second. We'd probably have been happy with a draw, but Ooijer had other ideas. Nelsen saw his header hit the post but Ooijer had followed it in and smashed it home from two yards out!!! If you'd like to watch it again here it is in French

santaeverton.jpg

2010/11 - ???

Who knows?! A draw would be good, a win would be amazing. It has been a while!! At least Louis Saha isn't playing!

Q&A

As is customary I asked the folks over at Toffee Talk if they could answer a few questions. I've got four so far from IanC, marcopaulo, adz09 and Rebecula

So now the season is nearly over, how do you think it has gone?

It's been a bit hit and miss as per usual. Poor early start before the eventual resurgence. LAst year we could blame it on key players missing the start through long-term injuries but this year it's harder to put your finger on it. I think we miss that enthusiasm a big signing brings to other clubs. The worst thing is that lessons haven't been learned. We played beautiful football for the first half of the season but we struggled for results. We need players who can finish and wingers with the ability to get in behind. We didn't get those in the summer and we struggled again this season as a result.

Grim.. We're lucky it's such a tight league to be honest or I couldn't see us in the top 7... We don't score when we should we can dominate a game easily and still lose.. Good teams don't do that simple as.. The game against Wolves this weekend was probably the first time we have actually killed a team off when we should have which is annoying cos the season is almost over.. We should be pushing for top 4 with the squad we have had available all season and yet it seems again we thrive with an injury hit team

Not as well as i hoped for prior to the season. I expected us to finish about 6th, how we are still in the hunt for this i will never know.

Awful, before the start Moyes was saying how good the squad was this year. I think we are very very lucky to be where we are to be honest

Who have been your best players?

Fellaini, Baines, Coleman, Osman and Distin. Hopefully 4 of 5 will play against you. Osman is in absolutely lethal form at the moment and Baines has probably been our best player all season.

Leighton Baines for me has been the best left back in England this season if not Europe.. Second in assists from defence only to Dani Alves says a lot.. One of the best left foots around and can take a mean free kick whether he's shooting or crossing.. Fellaini was back to his monster best before he got injured and if we can keep hold of him and keep him fit all year and others perform we have a real chance next year.. But then we say that every season.. As said though at the moment it is Osman.. He is playing immensely well at the moment and although he struggles to find his shooting boots quite a bit he is more than capable of tearing your defence up on his own

Difficult, Cahill battled in the first half of the season and was the only player who looked like scoring. Fellaini for me is a tremendous player and was playing fantastic football prior to his injury. Player of the season by a country mile has to go to the best left back in the country. Leighton Baines

Osman and before getting injured I think Fellaini was doing well.

And your worst?

Bilyaletdinov has underperformed. Many (including myself) thought he'd push on from a decent showing last season but he looks further off the pace. Arteta hasn't been terrific but he hasn't been overly poor either. Pienaar was a massive disappointment before he was sold to Spurs

Bily has been a massive let down again this season.. The annoying thing is that he shows what he can do when he puts his mind to it every now and then but then he puts in a @#/? performance for the next 7 or 8 games.. I try and stick up for him when I can but it gets harder the longer he underperforms.. Anichebe aswell and I'm about his only fan round here but even I'm losing patience with him..he has all the tools a good striker would need but he's just too much of a lazy prick most the time

I hate picking on players.

Anichebe, don't like dissing a player but frankly he has been a huge disappointment.

What changes would you like to see for next season?

Barring massive inward investment... The sales of Bilyaletdinov, Yobo, Yakubu and Vaughan and hopefully a Moyes bargain special striker/winger and a couple of decent pinches/frees to flesh out the squad.

I'd love to see investment as would any club but I can't see it happening for us.. We need a striker and a proper winger and then I'd probably be happy to be honest because we have a good set of kids on the way and I'd like to see them given a go if possible

The only change that can take this club to the next level would be a new owner.

I think we should buy Lionel Messi and Kaka to boost the sub's bench

I've heard some rumours that Everton have got money troubles, what's going on?

No major money problems. Unless the complete lack of transfer funds is a problem. If so we've had problems for decades Goodison needs a facelift (or a wrecking ball!) and the squad needs investment but the board/chairmen won't/can't provide funds. We're ticking over but when push comes to shove we'll still be a selling club when it comes to our big players

Bill loves the club but that isn't enough.. I wouldn't want us in the hands of the type that own city because it's just a play thing to them and they have no passion about the club.. There is a split opinion of Kenwright and some even go as far to say he pockets some of the money which i find ridiculous.. I'm convinced he wants the best for the club and will sell only to the right person.. The problem is will that person ever come along?

Bill Kenwright hasn't got two bob to rub together, all our money seems to dissapear and we have a board which will not gamble when the opportunity is there.

Yes there are severe troubles in the money department. I doubt we can but soft toilet paper at the moment. I feel sorry for Bill Kenwright as he is a supporter and he has not got the cash to hand to really do much.

How much longer do you think that Moyes will stay at Everton and if he does go who would you like to replace him?

That really depends. Can't seem him leaving ever unless he has something lined up. Moyes isn't a quitter and he won't leave Everton in the lurch on a whim. The United job will never be his but if another club come calling with an offer with funds to spend he might be so inclined. But Moyes won't leave Britain and there are few jobs better than the one he currently has around.

I’m not sure to both these to be honest.. Owen Coyle is touted a lot but I’m not even sure he'd leave Bolton for us.. They have more money(pathetic really) and aren't exactly a million miles away from where we are.. As for Moyes staying i think he will stay and try his hardest to win something but if summat better comes along no one would begrudge him a fair crack at the champions league with a richer club.. Unless it was Liverpool of course in which case I’d nail his arse to a flag pole ;)

I think he will be here untill the Man Utd job is available. I would like to see Jose Mourinho, more realistically. I rate Owen Coyle (hangs my head)

Hard one to answer. Moyes is a favourite, but everyone leaves eventually. He has talent (despite a few strange tactical decisions) I have no idea who would want to replace him while we are strapped for cash. I suspect if we lost Moyes the first people to apply would be someone like Peter Reid. Although whether he would be offered the job is another point.

What do you think about Rovers this season?

If I was a Rovers fan I'd be disappointed with the lack of improvement. No player has really stepped up and I can't think of any of your players being a major goal threat.

disappointing as Ian said I never see a rovers player step it up and take the game to the opposition and set the example

I think Blackburn have peformed how i thought they would. They have a few good players, buit dont really have the strength in depth.

When they won the title I was pleased for them. When Howard Kendal was manager there I was pleased for them. This season I feel for them. I know how much it hurts. Rovers are better than the way that they have played this year.

What line up can we expect?

(Howard) (Hibbert - Jagielka - Distin - Baines)(Coleman - Heitinga - Neville - Bilyaletdinov) (Osman) (Beckford) Coleman's a doubt though Cahill and Rodwell might make an appearance as well. If none of those 3 start then Gueye will take Coleman's slot

Howard

Hibbert Jagielka Distin Baines

Coleman/Gueye Heitinga Neville Bilyatedinov

Osman

Beckford

It's basically whoever is fit at the moment and possibly with a couple players coming back that might change around a bit

Whoever is fit, at everton we always seem to have an injury crisis and now isn't any different. We will play whichever senior players are fit and build a formation, team around that

I think pretty much the same as the game against Wolves barring any more injuries.

Are there any Rovers player you are worried about (lol)?

Pedersen always seems to perform against us (God knows why, he's @#/?) and not only do Blackburn have the physicality to threaten from set pieces but you have to players to deliver from situations that no other team can.

As Ian said Pedersen does seem to do the business against us and i like the look of Hoilett and think he will be a good player and your main threat in the game

Not really, however i would like everton to sign Phil Jones who looks in the Jagielka mould.

I rate Pederson. But the way Rovers are currently playing I am not sure I am particularly scared of any of them really.

Score prediction?

2-0 Everton. Then again, Everton are well capable of putting in a 5-0 demolition worthy performance with 70% possession and Barcelona-esque passing and still lose 1-0 so I won't be betting on it!

No disrespect to Blackburn but anything other than a win is unacceptable.. We're too hit and miss to predict a score we could thump you 6-0 or lose 1-0 depending on who turns up for us.. I'm plumping for a 3-1 though cos I can see us scoring with the confidence of the last few games but we are gash at the back sometimes to be honest and seem to get punished 9 times out of 10

As we are currently one of the form teams in the league, i will go for a 2-0 everton win. Beckford x2

Unlikely to be a high score I think. 1 - 0 either way or a draw.

Good luck mate, I really would hate to see relegation looming for you.

Finally....

Tickets are still available so let's get behind the lads

Come On You Blues!!!

• Replies 700
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Good preview.

I've always liked Everton. They seem a lot like the Rovers (with better management, at the present). And it didn't hurt that when I was there last year, when they played Hull, Landon Donovan scored. It warmed my nationalistic heart to hear tens of thousands of Englishmen chanting "USA!" :tu:

All that said, I hope we break more than a few Evertonian hearts this coming weekend.

It warmed my nationalistic heart to hear tens of thousands of Englishmen chanting "USA!" :tu:

it stands for U ###### Ass in england :P

###### ryhmes with hitty and starts with S lol

By my reckoning we need two wins for safety, or a win and two draws even (two wins will take us 9 points clear, technically ten with superior goal difference - there aren't three teams below us going to get three wins and a draw, in my opinion. I can't see any getting 3 wins either) and this is one that could be a draw towards that tally, maybe even scrape a win.

Avoid defeat at least whilst also keeping the positivity going as if their heads go then that is when we will be in trouble.

Hope for a better refereeing performance as well.

Hope the performance and result matches the preview !

Will be tough and even if Hoilett, Nelsen etc are fit, difficult to see us getting anything.

Moyes is a hard barsteward and, historically, Everton come on strong in the 2nd half of the season and are a current form team, unbeaten in six with fourteen points (that's momentum Kean).

Could be anything from 3-1 to 5-0.

###### ryhmes with hitty and starts with S lol

I knew I could count on you, Abbey. :P

But I thought we were all part of the same Anglo-Saxon cultural empire, the USA being the flag bearer, of course.

Back on point, as I remain an optimist I'm for the Rovers to grab a hard hitting win against Everton. :rover: Especially if Kean both follows Maji's game plan AND leaves MGP and Emerton at home.

We just don't look dangerous up front at the moment, the sublime Hoilett aide. That has to be addressed - against Birmingham and Blackpool we had the majority of the play but just did not convert our chances. Cruz, Benjani, Roberts all look ineffective. Kalinic I have severe reservations about but he deserves a chance.

Apart from that it is desperate but maybe we need to have a look at Rochina who has been scoring for the reserves.

As much as i want to see us win this game and I pray to god we do i fear the best we can hope for is a draw, but knowing my luck it will be a defeat as I'm a bit of a jinx at away games having never seen Rovers win an away game in the 16 years on and off I've been going to them.

Benjani looked more dangerous than Roberts & RSC on Saturday and mame usually does too, so I'd go 4-1-3-2 with Benjani & Mame up top with Olsson, Hoilett and Dunn behind with JJ defensive mid. Back 4 of Salgado, Samba, P Jones & Givet

As much as i want to see us win this game and I pray to god we do i fear the best we can hope for is a draw, but knowing my luck it will be a defeat as I'm a bit of a jinx at away games having never seen Rovers win an away game in the 16 years on and off I've been going to them.

16 years and no away win at matches you attend? That is very bad luck. Keep the faith, who knows it may change this this weekend? In fact scrap that, don't go you jinx! :D

Great preview and thanks for that. Unfortunately Everton are doing much better of late and will be confident and looking forward to this fixture.

2-1 Everton.

I'm desperately hoping we can steal a point or three here. I think we need a solid starting line up, we can't afford to carry any passengers here like we did against Brum. No Dunn or Gamst in the starting line up please. I think it's going to be 1-1, but imagine how much pressure could be taken off of us by getting the win. Hopefully the players perform.

Robbo

Salgado Samba Nelsen Givet

Hoillet Jones Jones Olsson

Benjani Santa Cruz

2005/06 - FA Cup Smashing

Everton away isn't the most exciting FA Cup tie you could hope for. So after having reached the Arkles and hearing the teamsheet - Gallacher and Derbyshire up front!! - we didn't really want to go. But something made us and what a good decision it was. Just five minutes in Derbyshire scored before Pedersen scored a lovely free kick a few minutes later. Rovers went in at half time 3-0 after Gallagher had scored another. We went home in joyful mood after McCarthy came on and scored in the 90th minute. This was the start of our cup run that ended at the semi finals.

7622_159680505897_594900897_3556740_1798114_n.jpg

:lol:

Benjani looked more dangerous than Roberts & RSC on Saturday and mame usually does too, so I'd go 4-1-3-2 with Benjani & Mame up top with Olsson, Hoilett and Dunn behind with JJ defensive mid. Back 4 of Salgado, Samba, P Jones & Givet

Ridiculously attacking.

If you are looking for something similar to that then perhaps play Mame just off the striker using his pace to cause a nuisance but drop Dunn. Keep him as far away from the action as possible, and by that I mean if you do play him certainly don't put him against their midfield as he can barely move. He's not Premiership quality any more unless he has a free role, and at this stage in the season we can't afford a luxury like that. You need two central midfielders who can hold or occasionally support if you're going for attacking wingers and two strikers, especially if you are playing against a stronger side.

Can't see anything other than a draw in this game. We have to be careful of their good players: Arteta, Cahill and the microphone (Felliani). They are all in midfield so we should match them with 3 central mids, PJ, JJ, SN and go with MO, JH, NK as the front 3. Who knows maybe we can sneak a win.

............................ Robinson

Salgado ... Nelsen .... Samba .... Olsson

............................... Jones

.................. Jones ........... Pedersen

... Diouf .......................................... Hoilett

.............................. Benjani

That's what I'd go with. Needs to be 4-3-3/4-5-1 anyway, Everton always pack the midfield and can be really good at home. I'd take another 'park the bus' 0-0 like Arsenal.

Archived