blueboy3333

Academy & U21s

2 hours ago, Snarley02 said:

Yeah it was compensation but he never got offered a pro at Rovers. 

Anything on Zimba and why no deal? Saw he’d scored a few when seen reports 

Shame, I quite like Zimba, but I trust the people who see these players every day to make those decisions. Our issue has never been getting decent 18's talent into our Under 23's squad, it's the transition from 23's to first teamer.

Wharton, Platt & White are the first names which ring a bell. They're at an age where they should be playing for our first team, or not at the club at all. You can add Davenport and Chapman to that list, they're too good to be playing 23's football at Blackburn, but not good enough for a Top 6 CH team.

Wharton made his debut for Rovers about four years ago, has been on countless loan spells since and clearly just isn't good enough. At one time, in the Under 23's, he had that potential. Yet unlike Travis, who got a call up, a real run in the side and a chance to cement his name, Wharton has been pimped around League Two and League One for three years, stagnating. Same thing happened to Lewis Hardcastle, who thankfully will be back in the FL next season.

We've got to be harsher at 23's level I'd say. Too many players in our development squad that haven't "developed" for seasons on end.
Basically, I like the Barrow thing, but I like it with Jack Vale, not Matty Platt. Platt should've been released, he's never going to make it with us, Vale still could, he's young enough.

Looks like it's true about Zimba. On trial at Sunderland. I don't understand this one, when looking at his goals record. Behind the scenes stuff, I suspect.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.lancs.live/sport/football/football-news/sunderland-blackburn-rovers-trial-teenager-17903316.amp

Both Zimba and Burns play as strikers for the 18's.

It might be a case of "look, only one of you will get any kind of game time underneath Butterworth at 23's level next season, the other will mostly struggle to make the bench in the PL2." 

Zimba may be choosing to not extend for this reason?

The U23's are playing the rearranged game against Burnley at Curzon Ashton's ground this afternoon, KO 2pm. Anybody going, free to season ticket holders. I checked with the ticket office five minutes ago just in case it got called off again.

2 minutes ago, oldjamfan1 said:

Updates from that one would be most appreciated folks

If only I had a smartphone

Rovers boast a 23's side made up of 75% Under 18's players, but Burnley do too. Get the feeling with Rovers already through, Burnley confirmed as not through, the two clubs have both come to a decision (maybe even together) to play some of the younger lads in this one.

Kicks off at 2pm, no video available anywhere but Rovers Twitter are providing updates.

Sam Burns (man of the hour on this thread recently) starts up front.

1-0 Rovers, Pike long ball gets caught in the wind and catches out Jensen in their nets!

Wonder if he’s the son of the beast?

It's not Brian's son, I know "the beast" quite well he lives on the other side of the town I live in.

His son's are both on the books of Everton, one under 13 and one under 16.

Maybe son of John then?

I think the problem originally for Zimba and then Burns is that the U18s didnt have a recognised striker before the season.

Burns is a RW and will revert back to one next season, and the likes of Sam Durrant, Zak Gilsenan and Brandon Lonsdale are not going to lead the line as they are all too small... so Zimba was forced into the #9 role due to his size. And despite his goals has generally struggled with the physicality and role of it.

Shame for him as I think he would have walked a contract had he been allowed to stay a bit deeper.

A lot of academy players contracts ending within the next month across all the age groups. With the youth football season already over, there's no expectations at any level so far been expressed that any youth players will be offered this one month extension that the likes of first team footballers have been.

Does anybody know which Under 18's/23's players are set to be released?

On 22/05/2020 at 11:50, JoeH said:

On an Academy note, just been told by a friend that Leeds have shown an interest in young Luke Brennan. Interesting one. https://www.footballinsider247.com/leeds-united-set-sights-on-signing-blackburn-rising-star/

I've no idea who he is, but apparently Liverpool and Brighton are looking to poach him too.

Fingers crossed COVID-19 shatters the current football pyramid, because it's sickening at the moment. 

On 26/05/2020 at 11:30, Exiled_Rover said:

I've no idea who he is, but apparently Liverpool and Brighton are looking to poach him too.

Fingers crossed COVID-19 shatters the current football pyramid, because it's sickening at the moment. 

Apparently the uncertainty produced by covid is actually one of the main reasons we haven't offered him a deal yet.