BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Penniless Struggling Club

...hang on ..thought there was a boycott on ..

Rally Round The Rovers

Buckets outside the turnstiles, everyone pulling in the same direction.

Get the drift :glare: think before you jump

Administration will attract all of the worst vultures, when we are down to bones, it is still there to pick at.

Very much a good article about Pompey which could be us for anyone's review here; - http://soccersouls.com/2014/12/08/from-fa-cup-champions-to-league-two-strugglers-the-sad-story-of-portsmouth-fc/

WEC (Wayne Wild), SENECA and the Fans trust with Glenn and Philip L need a sit down to preempt. We need a well formulated strategy beforehand to avoid the enclosed link happening.

Needs putting down ASAP... A good direction from those involved could see a larger swing going in protest too.

Ageing old pros like Stapleton, Duxbury, loaning in crap from other lower down clubs benches like Starbuck etc, over promoted youth like Hill and May, Skinner, Wilcox who weren't quite ready and others like Bob Dewhurst, Shepstone who weren't ready and were never going to cut it at that level anyway.

That was 25 years ago and Jack rescued us then from certain oblivion but it's shocking now to have such similarities again now when you think of the infrastructure of the club and the money that's come into it and the players, managers we've had in that time. Despite other bigger clubs having hard times I can't see any who bear the hallmarks of our circus when you take all that into account.

The absolute only thing that has kept us afloat since last summer appears to be having half a squad of players good enough to flog for decent doh. I struggle to see how Venkys can take any credit at all in the last 12 months as they've created this mess anyway and now the team and fans suffer again whilst a set of number crunchers try to clear it up.

In a year or two it could be Jack saving us again via the Academy he set up, his legacy not Venkys.

Ageing old pros like Stapleton, Duxbury, loaning in crap from other lower down clubs benches like Starbuck etc, over promoted youth like Hill and May, Skinner, Wilcox who weren't quite ready and others like Bob Dewhurst, Shepstone who weren't ready and were never going to cut it at that level anyway.

That was 25 years ago and Jack rescued us then from certain oblivion but it's shocking now to have such similarities again now when you think of the infrastructure of the club and the money that's come into it and the players, managers we've had in that time. Despite other bigger clubs having hard times I can't see any who bear the hallmarks of our circus when you take all that into account.

The absolute only thing that has kept us afloat since last summer appears to be having half a squad of players good enough to flog for decent doh. I struggle to see how Venkys can take any credit at all in the last 12 months as they've created this mess anyway and now the team and fans suffer again whilst a set of number crunchers try to clear it up.

In a year or two it could be Jack saving us again via the Academy he set up, his legacy not Venkys.

Excellent post.

Excellent post.

Good post.

Cant see a 10 million player in Doyle, Hardcastle, Wharton or Lenihan. Maybe a million for the lot at the moment.

Goes back to my point of the inclusion of assets in a set of accounts, it excludes player values.

Risky business relaying on a scenario of the above given the facts and we have a squad less in value than a 99p ebay auction.

Excellent post.

It is, but unless my memory is failing me we still managed to challenge for play off spots on a regular basis because we had decent managers. Saxton and Mackay were brilliant for this club. That said, I do agree that by 90/91 we were starting to struggle again.

This is a long winded way of saying that I think where we are now is much worse than where we were 25 years ago.

It is, but unless my memory is failing me we still managed to challenge for play off spots on a regular basis because we had decent managers. Saxton and Mackay were brilliant for this club. That said, I do agree that by 90/91 we were starting to struggle again.

This is a long winded way of saying that I think where we are now is much worse than where we were 25 years ago.

I was only on about the 90/91 season as the similarities now are frightening in terms of the team but yes taking everything else into account we are certainly in a worse position. We just ran out of steam back then after over achieving a bit for a year or two and showing some proper ambition. If only those Palarce games had been the opposite way around :(

I was only on about the 90/91 season as the similarities now are frightening in terms of the team but yes taking everything else into account we are certainly in a worse position. We just ran out of steam back then after over achieving a bit for a year or two and showing some proper ambition. If only those Palarce games had been the opposite way around :(

Interesting thought that, I wonder what would have happened had we been promoted that season? Oddly, we might not have won the title when we did - the butterfly effect - but I was really upset that day at Selhurst Park to say the least. Glad All Over I certainly wasn't lol.

We'd have needed some investment for sure if we'd gone up I think but doubt we'd have got any unless Jack had got properly involved earlier. That was a cracking little team but I don't think we would have stayed up and it may have triggered a fall down the leagues like so many other clubs often did back then after a failed stint at the top.

Maybe old Courtney did us a favour after all :blink:

Mind you I like to think Jack Walker would have become heavily involved anyway when he'd sold the Steel business so all would have been ok and we'd still have won the league :tu:

Does anyone know when the season starts ;-)

Apart from a guess it's mid August no I don't. Must get round to putting home games on my calendar.

I'm not convinced we were destined for certain oblivion.

I think Don Mackay has reached his use by date at Rovers after a generally successful stint.

That coincided with Jack getting on board and the rest is history.

We would still have had a fighting chance of staying in Division 2 in my opinion, and the people running the club would most likely have replaced Mackay with someone capable of achieving that.

Yes, we were penniless, but not riddled with parasites and idiots, (morning Mike).

We finished 2 points above 3rd from bottom Leicester and I'd say that was down to Jack providing the funds for Mimms, Dobson and Livingstone. Without that we'd have gone down I think as it was awful from what I can remember.

We finished 2 points above 3rd from bottom relegated Leicester and I'd say that was down to Jack providing the funds for Mimms, Dobson and Livingstone. Without that we'd have gone down I think as it was awful from what I can remember.

Was it not the following season we played Leicester in the play offs?

Edit - Just looked and while Leics did finish 3rd bottom, only 2 went down.

Was it not the following season we played Leicester in the play offs?

Edit - Just looked and while Leics did finish 3rd bottom, only 2 went down.

Aye I forgot about that, just remembered them being crap as well. Amazing what a bit of money did back then when these days you can tie up 48 million in crap just to finish midtable in the Champ !!!!

We finished 2 points above 3rd from bottom Leicester and I'd say that was down to Jack providing the funds for Mimms, Dobson and Livingstone. Without that we'd have gone down I think as it was awful from what I can remember.

No argument that it certainly helped us stay up that season.

I just don't think we can say relegation would've been certain otherwise.

We looked gone for all money in 1986, and then suddenly beat Sheffield United 6-1 and went on to scrape survival on the final day of the season.

Archived