BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Worst Away Day?

I've seen us lose away plenty of times, which always makes for a bad day or night.

But, for me the worst was Milton Keynes Dons away last season.

Myself and Bobsterbrfc made the long trip south, only for Adam Henley to get sent off after 10 minutes and subsequently we lost 3-0, with barely an effort on target.

In fact, we missed the third in stoppage time, because we'd had enough!

• Replies 107
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Palace in '89 takes the mantle as worst by a mile: 'Glad all over' still haunts me to this day. Others were Spurs on New Years Eve in about '78/'79 when we got tonked by 3 or 4 and the sole Ribblesdale bus had most of its windows smashed after the game but still made the journey back to Blackburn with the occupants freezing. Can't imagine that happening these days! In a similar era I remember getting hammered at Blackpool by 5 to something (Bob Hatton scored a hat-trick?) and Oldham by a similar scoreline. Was there really a tree growing out of the middle of the open end terracing?

Best away day is a tossup between 3-2 at Turf Moor ('79?) and Goodison and Anfield in the Championship season.

All but a few of many great memories that thankfully can never be taken away.

Palace 89 worst by a million miles. Nobody said a word all the way home.

The 7-1 defeat at Old Trafford was pretty bad as well though; embarrassing. As a kid I recall getting turned back half way to Bristol (Rovers) on the Ewood Express because the game had been called off due to a waterlogged pitch. That was a bitter disappointment for a ten year old.

I was at the Etihad when Robinho tore us a new one and we got beat 3-1 with Julie Andrews bagging a rebound from a Diouf penalty, that wasn't an enjoyable day we got completely outclassed! A really good away following from us as it was towards the end of the season which made it worse as we had a shocker. Weird how the season after I think it was I was there when we must have only took 500 for a 3pm Saturday kick off yet we got a really good point with Kalinic bagging from a Joe Hart cock up. My best away day in recent times has to be Jason Roberts' last minute winner away at Bolton after we were 1-0 down at half time. Limbs everywhere in that away end

I was at the Etihad when Robinho tore us a new one and we got beat 3-1 with Julie Andrews bagging a rebound from a Diouf penalty, that wasn't an enjoyable day we got completely outclassed! A really good away following from us as it was towards the end of the season which made it worse as we had a shocker. Weird how the season after I think it was I was there when we must have only took 500 for a 3pm Saturday kick off yet we got a really good point with Kalinic bagging from a Joe Hart cock up. My best away day in recent times has to be Jason Roberts' last minute winner away at Bolton after we were 1-0 down at half time. Limbs everywhere in that away end

Dwight Yorke's equaliser in the 94th minute when we were down to ten men sparked similar scenes in the Reebok away end too.

Dwight Yorke's equaliser in the 94th minute when we were down to ten men sparked similar scenes in the Reebok away end too.

I missed that one, but its just clicked that my first ever away game following rovers was the year before that when Craig Short equalised in the last minute! I can't remember much about it other than after that game I wanted to follow us everywhere I'd caught the bug for sure.

Palace away. Flat battery when I got back to my car. I have never been so deflated and disappointed following our club.

A 4-0 at Plymouth, a 5-2 on plastic at Oldham, Wimbledon away under Kenny when we were really pushing, semi against Chelsea and an earlier play-off 2nd leg away at Chelsea all bring back dark thoughts.

Eagles...Eagles...Courtney....we never turned up. No game worse than that.

Used to enjoy trips to Oldham back in the day there was quite a bit of rivalry but always came home pig sick, think best i ever saw was a 1-1 draw.

I seem to remember Tony Parkes scoring a screamer there, and bouncing on the wooden floor in their end

I seem to remember Tony Parkes scoring a screamer there, and bouncing on the wooden floor in their end

I think first time i went it was a boiling hot day and Rovers fans on the away end/grassy knoll were singing 'Orient. Orient'. Couldn't understand it until someone explained :lol:

I think first time i went it was a boiling hot day and Rovers fans on the away end/grassy knoll were singing 'Orient. Orient'. Couldn't understand it until someone explained :lol:

First time I went to Oldham it was around Christmas time and we came back from 2-0 down to win 3-2. We played in red and black stripes that day - could be the same game rigger refers to above?

Back in the 2pts a win days, I remember attending a game at Notts County in the mid 70's which I think we needed to win to gain promotion if memory serves me. I think we lost 1-0 or drew 1-1. Five of us drove over in my uncles Austin A40 in what seemed like one of the longest journeys ever. It was a complete anti climax driving home. Perhaps one of the poster older than myself could add a little meat to the bones?

Obviously, this does not compare to the Palace game, that was my most depressed as a Rovers fan, and was certainly the longest journey home to date!!!!!

First time I went to Oldham it was around Christmas time and we came back from 2-0 down to win 3-2. We played in red and black stripes that day - could be the same game rigger refers to above?

Wasn't there an game at Christmas time one year that was switched to Boundary Park at the last min after Ewood was snowed up ?

Seen it on an old dvd recently about Lancashire teams and it showed Garner scoring, Rovers in red and they might have won 3 nil or something.

Palace must have been horrendous. I was too young to go with my dad although I did go the the home leg.

Barnsley away stands out in the 99-00 season. We were 5 - 1 down at half time.

Larissa away. Good trip but Rovers were frustratingly horrendous in the game - played like they had been out on the lash.

Biggest disaster of a trip was Arsenal away in 2004. Midweek night match at Highbury. Was going to be my first ever time going away with Ewood Blues from the Aqueduct. Also first visit to Highbury. Got to the pub. Coach pulled up and we got told the windscreen wipers were not working. Apparently they couldn't get a replacement and so it was cancelled.

My mate who was on leave from Iraq at the time called his Bolton mate from the army who was also on leave and he agreed to drive a car full of us down. Hit horrendous rush hour traffic, got lost in London, got off at the wrong tube station and didn't get into the ground until half time. 0-0 at this point. Arsenal scored a couple of minutes into the second half, they won 3-0 and broke the consecutive unbeaten league record.

Needless to say I never bothered going with Ewood Blues until Mansfield away this season actually!

Selhurst Park was easily the worst fan experience I can recall. From the moment Howard Gayle missed the penalty in the first leg I had a glass half full feeling about the final outcome.

My formative away days that included Sheffield Utd 5 Rovers 0 in March 1971 and Shrewsbury 7 Rovers1 in April 73 could not douse my fervour that regrettably has been replaced by support now only for the "not a penny more" brigade.

Back in the 2pts a win days, I remember attending a game at Notts County in the mid 70's which I think we needed to win to gain promotion if memory serves me. I think we lost 1-0 or drew 1-1. Five of us drove over in my uncles Austin A40 in what seemed like one of the longest journeys ever. It was a complete anti climax driving home. Perhaps one of the poster older than myself could add a little meat to the bones?

Obviously, this does not compare to the Palace game, that was my most depressed as a Rovers fan, and was certainly the longest journey home to date!!!!!

I think that was at the end of the 72/73 season, we needed to boost our goal tally by about 7 and Furphy loaded the team with a lot of strikers, it didn't work and Notts County went up.

Palace must have been horrendous. I was too young to go with my dad although I did go the the home leg.

Barnsley away stands out in the 99-00 season. We were 5 - 1 down at half time.

Larissa away. Good trip but Rovers were frustratingly horrendous in the game - played like they had been out on the lash.

Biggest disaster of a trip was Arsenal away in 2004. Midweek night match at Highbury. Was going to be my first ever time going away with Ewood Blues from the Aqueduct. Also first visit to Highbury. Got to the pub. Coach pulled up and we got told the windscreen wipers were not working. Apparently they couldn't get a replacement and so it was cancelled.

My mate who was on leave from Iraq at the time called his Bolton mate from the army who was also on leave and he agreed to drive a car full of us down. Hit horrendous rush hour traffic, got lost in London, got off at the wrong tube station and didn't get into the ground until half time. 0-0 at this point. Arsenal scored a couple of minutes into the second half, they won 3-0 and broke the consecutive unbeaten league record.

Needless to say I never bothered going with Ewood Blues until Mansfield away this season actually!

Windscreen wipers not working? Poor excuse. Lack of wipers didn't stop the Valley Blues coach joining the 6,000 strong following to Carlisle one Sunday before Christmas in the 80's and it was snowing on Shap Fell. Coach driver had to keep stopping on the hard shoulder to clear the windscreen with a long brush!

Only one Contender for this I am afraid:

-Palace Away

Some others less important but memorable for the 'shock effect'

-Lincoln City...League Cup away in early 70s(lost 0-2?)

-Shrewsbury Away in mid or late 70s(?) ....2-7

-Barnsley Away in 80s(0-5 at half-time)

Plus the betting coup one....Watford Away,last match of Season we were back in Chumpionship(0-4 and that Centre-Forward sub got sent off in added time)

Mainly remember the feeling of shame and the 'is this the real feeling of failure'....alas it is more the loss of hope now that grabs you with the Venksters running down the Club.

Archived