BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Fixtures

• Replies 101
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Just now, tomphil said:

Reality will be hitting home for the Blackburn Police match commanders ......... no overtime for the masses on needless dinner time kick off alterations this season boys !

They won't give up that cushy number without a fight. Bradford will be the big one that Cheston will be hoping for a full Darwen End and 12pm kick off. Failing that I'm sure they can invent some reason to move Oldham, Wigan and Blackpool to inconvenient times.

Just now, JHRover said:

They won't give up that cushy number without a fight. Bradford will be the big one that Cheston will be hoping for a full Darwen End and 12pm kick off. Failing that I'm sure they can invent some reason to move Oldham, Wigan and Blackpool to inconvenient times.

Yes I think there was a skirmish between some Rovers and Oldham fans in about 1987, reason enough for a lunchtime paid for training exercise I reckon B)

Just now, AllRoverAsia said:

Not too many Tuesday evenings. Portsmouth away though not clever.

One small benefit to being in League One or Two is the lack of international breaks, which enables league games to be played on more Saturdays and reduces the need for as many midweek fixtures.

True to form the clowns running football have ensured plenty of nightmare midweek games though. Us away at Oxford/Portsmouth, and even Scunthorpe potentially difficult. Plymouth coming here on a Tuesday night.

Look beyond Rovers though and there's some real classics thrown in just to make life as difficult as possible for the loyal fans:

Tuesday night treks to look out for:

Rotherham away at Wimbledon, Wimbledon away at Oldham, Blackpool away at Plymouth, Gillingham away at Blackpool, Bradford at Charlton, Oldham at Bristol Rovers, Rotherham at Bristol Rovers, Southend at Bury, Wigan at Charlton, Rochdale at Charlton, Portsmouth at Doncaster, Wigan at Gillingham, the list goes on and on.

Shocking that they are even allowed to come up with such fixtures.

Having the closer games on Saturdays is more relevant in this league than the two above I suppose in terms of a few more through the gate. Hence the torrid midweek trips for most clubs fans.

Bonkers but every penny counts now.

Just now, JHRover said:

One small benefit to being in League One or Two is the lack of international breaks, which enables league games to be played on more Saturdays and reduces the need for as many midweek fixtures.

True to form the clowns running football have ensured plenty of nightmare midweek games though. Us away at Oxford/Portsmouth, and even Scunthorpe potentially difficult. Plymouth coming here on a Tuesday night.

Look beyond Rovers though and there's some real classics thrown in just to make life as difficult as possible for the loyal fans:

Tuesday night treks to look out for:

Rotherham away at Wimbledon, Wimbledon away at Oldham, Blackpool away at Plymouth, Gillingham away at Blackpool, Bradford at Charlton, Oldham at Bristol Rovers, Rotherham at Bristol Rovers, Southend at Bury, Wigan at Charlton, Rochdale at Charlton, Portsmouth at Doncaster, Wigan at Gillingham, the list goes on and on.

Shocking that they are even allowed to come up with such fixtures.

I read, I think somewhere on here, that EFL clubs prefer long distance visitors to fill the Tuesday evening slots on the basis that most would have small followings even on a Saturday afternoon.

Makes lfe hellish for the fans who want to travel to those fixtures and in our case Portsmouth away is attractive until the timing is seen.

The fixtures are depressing.

BUT apart from Scunny away its feasible to get to all the matches from August 12th thru to end of September.

Furthest one away is Shrewsbury. We could have very large away support in excess of 2000 for most matches.

Just now, mhead said:

The fixtures are depressing.

BUT apart from Scunny away its feasible to get to all the matches from August 12th thru to end of September.

Furthest one away is Shrewsbury. We could have very large away support in excess of 2000 for most matches.

E-I-E-I-E-I-O!!!!

1 hour ago, tomphil said:

Having the closer games on Saturdays is more relevant in this league than the two above I suppose in terms of a few more through the gate. Hence the torrid midweek trips for most clubs fans.

Bonkers but every penny counts now.

Yeah that's what the update said, they like to ensure big local games are kept on Saturday to ensure more through the door.  Like you say not great for fans who go to quite a few away.

Just now, Mattyblue said:

Checkatrade Trophy ties are now first team fixtures for us, not under 23s... we looking at some record low crowds?

What happens if the invited clubs turn down the chance to play in it like last season?

They tried to exclude Rovers in favour of the big boys last year for no reason other than the number of fans they expected to turn up. Newcastle were invited in ahead of some Premier League academies purely because they hoped Newcastle would fill away ends. Then all the big boys turned down the chance to participate so they had to offer places to the likes of Rovers and Norwich, both with fully fledged membership of Category A academies and young players no less worthy of a chance to play in the competition than Newcastle/Arsenal/United kids.

Those clubs that turned down the opportunity last season should only be invited this year once the others have turned down places, not ahead of them.

If that happens again this season then they will run out of clubs and will have to either invite Rovers to participate as one of the few with Category A status, or ignore Rovers and invite a club that doesn't have Category A status ahead of us.

Why should the kids at Category B academies get an opportunity ahead of the kids at Rovers academy just because the first team has been relegated?

At the same time how embarrassing it would be for the idiots ruining English football if Rovers had 2 sides in the competition.

Likewise if Rovers senior team is entered but Mowbray choses to rest players and field the kids then Rovers can expect action to be taken against them like Luton and Portsmouth had last year.

4 hours ago, Batman. said:

That's depressing.

Y'know, I thought it would be but I don't feel it (yet).

It's a cause for a little optimism.

What will be depressing is if we end up mid-table also-rans. We really need to make a success of this season. Not for Venkys, not to increase player value, not for bragging rights (there aren't any, we've been well and truly humbled) but for the long-suffering fans who have put up with this @#/? for so long and deserve to watch us win some football matches and deserve a promotion. It won't be that easy in reality but we need this.

We charge through the division and it will be an adventure. Big away followings and all the rest of it.

We don't and get stranded down here for a second, third season, losing all 'decent' players in the process, crowds drop ever lower, we get saddled with Martin Allen style lower league merry go round managers, we lose the ability to even out wage the Gillingham's of this world and we could very well be down here ( or even lower) for a long, long time.

Just now, Mattyblue said:

We charge through the division and it will be an adventure. Big away followings and all the rest of it.

We don't and get stranded down here for a second, third season, losing all 'decent' players in the process, crowds drop ever lower, we get saddled with Martin Allen style lower league merry go round managers, we lose the ability to even out wage the Gillingham's of this world and we could very well be down here ( or even lower) for a long, long time.

There it is.

:(

My view is that Rovers will walk it back to the Championship. Top 2 guaranteed if we can get a steady start.

Taking in Southend as its a ground I have been to but never watched Rovers play there. Away on hols for the away game at Rochdale. Will take more away games than home but for me, the first 14 games will give us an indication of our immediate future.

Trips to Wembley beckon.

Archived