BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Tony's Transfer Record

3 hours ago, old darwen blue said:

I can remember when we signed Sherwood whilst in the second division and he was pants. What are the chances of Whittingham finding his feet again back in the championship?

or am I just a glass half full chap?

Well it is a less physical league - Could happen.

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply
5 hours ago, Exiled in Toronto said:

Given Graham is ten years older and played at the top level, I’d have been extremely surprised if Samuel had come anywhere close to him on both counts.

Timing is everything. Samuel seemed a decent buy in Oct when he was joint top scorer. 

And he should hsve jsd a lot more goals. He missed countless chances and lacked any semblance of football intelligence. A poor buy. The younger and more inexperienced Nuttall looked a better footballer and certainly gave the oppo more to think about. Age is not always relative to intelligence on a football pitch.

• Backroom
9 hours ago, Blue blood said:

Good post. Having seen Evans and chums in cm without Smallwood I'd rate him a lot higher than 7.5 - instrumental to our success and team balance even when not standing out.

In fairness I would rate Evans a 5 or 6 at most, so Smallwood still comes some way above him. I wouldn't argue with Smallwood getting an 8, especially considering his lack of transfer fee, but second half of the season considered I wouldn't put it higher than that.

Really though, my ratings are from somebody who has watched the majority of our matches on iFollow this season. Am sure there are people who go to the games who could give much more credible scores than me!

Just now, DE. said:

In fairness I would rate Evans a 5 or 6 at most, so Smallwood still comes some way above him. I wouldn't argue with Smallwood getting an 8, especially considering his lack of transfer fee, but second half of the season considered I wouldn't put it higher than that.

Really though, my ratings are from somebody who has watched the majority of our matches on iFollow this season. Am sure there are people who go to the games who could give much more credible scores than me!

Not much different from my following Rovers this year then! Plus the beauty of football is having different opinions and how we all view things.

Think it's a good point about transfer fee - had Samuel not cost a fee I'd imagine he'd be looked on a bit more favourably or Whittingham not come on big wages (plus a big rep) similarly. Think it probably helps my positive opinion of Smallwood being on a free. That and having Lowe as a predecessor!

To be fair, Mowbrays transfer record is at best mixed. Thats seemingly not where his managerial strengths lie.

Dack was a masterstroke. Smallwood a terrific free signing and Armstrong was as good a loan signing as you can make. Downing was a very good stand in although im not convinced we needed to rush to make it permanent.

Aside from that, especially fees for Samuel, Gladwin and Hart, none of whom are nearly good enough to make the step up. Whittingham has been, albeit slightly harshly criticised, a big dissapointment. The 2 other signings in January have been underused too.

14 minutes ago, roversfan99 said:

To be fair, Mowbrays transfer record is at best mixed. Thats seemingly not where his managerial strengths lie.

Dack was a masterstroke. Smallwood a terrific free signing and Armstrong was as good a loan signing as you can make. Downing was a very good stand in although im not convinced we needed to rush to make it permanent.

Aside from that, especially fees for Samuel, Gladwin and Hart, none of whom are nearly good enough to make the step up. Whittingham has been, albeit slightly harshly criticised, a big dissapointment. The 2 other signings in January have been underused too.

I think if you analyse any managers signings you will see a similar record, I Think Wittingham would have played more but Smallwood was better than anyone thought only 100% player if he plays Saturday how he missed that suspension I don`t know,

5 hours ago, blueboy3333 said:

And he should hsve jsd a lot more goals. He missed countless chances and lacked any semblance of football intelligence. A poor buy. The younger and more inexperienced Nuttall looked a better footballer and certainly gave the oppo more to think about. Age is not always relative to intelligence on a football pitch.

I thought Nuttall looked completely lost in the games he started. Samuel may well be a poor buy going forwards but, without his goals pre his sending off, we’d be in the playoffs. Sell him in summer and I’d say we did OK out of him.

1 hour ago, had.e.nuff said:

I think if you analyse any managers signings you will see a similar record, I Think Wittingham would have played more but Smallwood was better than anyone thought only 100% player if he plays Saturday how he missed that suspension I don`t know,

That is some achievement. He is a robust and durable little player. I hope he steps up next season 

12 hours ago, Mike E said:

Personally would prefer Travis in midfield (his usual position), with RWB being between Nyambe and Bennett. Would at least give a little more experience to a back 3 (assuming this ofc) that is likely to include someone promoted from the academy.

Lol

21 hours ago, old darwen blue said:

I can remember when we signed Sherwood whilst in the second division and he was pants. What are the chances of Whittingham finding his feet again back in the championship?

or am I just a glass half full chap?

I don't know but my brother drowned in a half full bath if that helps

16 hours ago, Mike E said:

Should've clarified, I meant in the first team. Ooops.

I do wonder if Mowbray likes Travis but doesn’t want to drop Nyambe. He’s clearly trying to convert him. But if that was the case he should have been asking Johnson to play him in CM for the U23s. Personally I wouldn’t but that would the be logical step. But that would mean dropping Tomlinson or Hardcastle. Not sure either deserves that. Especially when they have just won their division.

I think that our U23s have a very different style to the first team though with a much busier attacking midfield and positive ethos. Defence tends to be left to defenders and we let teams worry about us. Compare and contrast the direction Mowbray seems to want to take the first team. 3 at the back, 2 wing backs and 2 holding midfielders. 7 defenders and all about width. It’s very negative and seems to be all about playing on the break or wide play and crosses. Problems with that are you need the right personnel.  We don’t have a target man to head the ball from those crosses. And playing on the break is fine but it relies on quick players with strong hamstrings. (Hamstrings are something that Rovers seem to have had a long standing problem with, going back years. Not sure if it is the training ground or Ewood or if it is just how we are training players).

Personally I’d much prefer a 4-4-2 approach (that I’m told is dead) or 4-4-1-1 which isn’t really much different. We’ve stormed this league since we stuck to a back four and reverting to three could undermine any momentum we have.

Bit of a meandering post but I’ll finish with... just to clear up:

B4E0BC03-A431-445F-8FE3-F56EE546110B.jpeg

If TM is not going to be using the u23's much this coming season, I do hope he gets a few of them out on loan. Tomlinson, Rankin-Costello and Hardcastle perhaps need to get some first-team action under their belts somewhere. I expect Travis to feature a bit more but depending on signings I am not sure many others will be getting a look in.

Archived